Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Have you come across this phrase? It's been overused on websites like Into the Gloss for a while now. Implying that cool girl messy but healthy hair stereotype a la Jeanne Dumas, Charlotte Gainbourg or Jane Birkin. 2012 example: https://intothegloss.com/2012/10/french-girl-model-off-duty-hair/
More recently articles:

It's basically more of the same shit from those how to be french books we discussed in the last thread. The weird idolisation of a sterotype of a French woman.
Ah yes, supposedly French women are better lovers, rock a red lip and white shirt like no other, have better behaved children and so on. So of course they have their own hair type to distinguish themselves from the rest of us sad sacks of shit with our not French girl hair

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

Vanelope

VIP Member
Is it true that Sali isn’t a fan of Lisa Eldridge?

With the grey hair, I thought all beauty journos worth their salt would say not to have your hair go so light in one sitting?
I don’t know how you can care about beauty and not be. However, she does have all the Vogue covers, wide range of experience and actual a list celebrity connections (and personal friends) that Sali craves so maybe she is just jealous.

Also she is just really nice. And her husband is also mega successful (so I think as a couple they are truly minted). She bought Audrey hepburn’s lipstick on auction and wouldn’t say how much she spent because she said was ridiculous and not what she intended - but I looked it up. It was over £20k.

Before she did her own jewellery range she had these three coloured stone rings by William wellstead that were probably 5 to 10K each and she has made more affordable versions that she also always wears now.

not at all to say she doesn’t deserve those things at all - i think she is amazing. And also from an ordinary background, single mother no less. She gives her ad revenue to charity, doesn’t merch except her own products.

• Heart
Have you come across this phrase? It's been overused on websites like Into the Gloss for a while now. Implying that cool girl messy but healthy hair stereotype a la Jeanne Dumas, Charlotte Gainbourg or Jane Birkin. 2012 example: https://intothegloss.com/2012/10/french-girl-model-off-duty-hair/
More recently articles:

It's basically more of the same shit from those how to be french books we discussed in the last thread. The weird idolisation of a sterotype of a French woman.
Ohhhh great. More delusional old Francophile shite that makes me want to (censored for the sensitive) Paris.

The grand old 'off duty model' look!' Haha, that old bullshit beloved of fashion writers fresh out of any originality or sense of reality for the last four decades. You know why rubbish things look good on off duty models? Because they're super young, genetically blessed, fucking MODELS that's why. A brown paper bag, a man's t-shirt three sizes too large, zero make up, a plaster cast and three week unwashed hair pulled back with a blue rubber band the postman threw on the driveway looks good on them. Doesn't mean the rest of us look good doing it. Jesus. Tell your average 43 old old Jane with difficult textured hair that blows up with humidity to follow this 'do nothing' advice and she'll get written up at work for looking 'unprofessional'.

As for trying to get us to believer all these glamorous French actresses look uhmazing making zero effort to even wash their hair. Illustrated with pics of them on red carpets after doubtless hours of very expensive and elite professional hair and make-up and wearing bloody couture. Unbelievable. We all know how much effort goes into the no make up 'look' (as opposed to no actual make-up). Same going on with this French shit. It's the art of looking like you don't really care, not actually acting like you don't care. I once had a boyfriend back in the day who favoured an artful beach bum look. He would spend an hour deciding which artfully holey shirt to wear, the vain twat. Same thing.

As for 'every woman in France' follows the rule never to dye your hair any colour than your natural colour. REALLY. Nobody in France bleaches, highlights or goes red, black, whatever? What old nonsense. I can think of multiple peroxdided French stars to begin with. I can also think of many with heavy PS and early nose jobs (Isabelle Adjani, come on in). It is such a weird mythology that gets passed around in the face of the evidence.

Sorry, had to get that all off my chest. Proceed as normal.

• Haha
  • Heart

Hereforthefacts

Chatty Member
Okay so might get blocked from GTL and following on IG. I am the Autistic woman who posted in her group. Most of us state exactly what we see and can't avoid being unfiltered. We literally learn to lie by interacting with neurotypicals who often bullshit. We lack that skill and therefore often say what we think and as an earlier poster mentioned we are often worth listening to as our thoughts are simply honest not rude (while to neurotypicals it comes across as exactly that - rude ) My thoughts after the interaction were there are millions of autistic women and men most of us are blunt, direct etc most of us love social media as it is easier than interacting face to face. Sali didn't know I was autistic but surely everyone not just influencers needs to learn to accept those that are different from themselves. I didn't even mean brassy blonde in a rude way. I actually think it looks nice but from the photo isn't grey. Sali - if you are reading - you can't always get nice comments believe me anyone who is autistic knows this, no environment works like that and if all you want is praise then get off social media - it is a tough environment to hang out in - also educate yourself on neurodiversity it is very common.
People have commented that Sali's recently overhaul was brave. I disagree. This here is real bravery, to expose yourself publicly in this way and face the wrath of Sali's block button. Well done, and you'll enjoy this so.much more than GTL anyway!
I also think the fact that you felt you could speak here speaks volumes about the type of positively encouraging sewer rats that lurk 🐀🐁

• Heart

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
I still maintain that Lisa is the celebrity makeup artist that Sali referred to in Pretty Honest. The one that did her first wedding makeup that she didn't like

Anytime she did an In The Bathroom there would be multiple comments from Sali's followers asking for Lisa and there was never any reply from Sali. But then she'd get someone else on and say 'this has been my most requested ITB ever' despite the fact that Lisa was also the one that people would ask about in the comments. It's also so strange how she has never reviewed any of her products but has made a fuss over Jamie Genevieve's makeup launch. Surely Sali's demographic would be more interested in Lisa?

And turning down that Lisa interview for her makeup documentary over the book deadline? Come on! For a beauty nerd (self titled) that would have been too huge

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Oh dear I think it doesn't suit her in the slightest. Washes her out terribly. Plus the condition of it looks awful. And she only had it done a few days ago. What on earth will it look like in a month?
What was she thinking? She had a light smattering of inoffensive grey hairs. And she had them rather nicely round the temples.
I am baffled by her thought process here.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Thinking about the article more it is so irritating she sees herself as this crazy maverick defying conventions and all advice to just do what she likes.
I know we are talking about it here but in reality just who cares? And being advised it might affect her career? I simply don't believe that for one second. That's what she likes to think no doubt - hence all the guff about being so defiant.
It is one of life's ironies that those who bang on about not caring what other people think are often the most thin skinned and desperate for approval. Otherwise why the caveat 'don't say mean things'.
Sali is one of the most acutely conformist and self conscious people I can think of tbh. So concerned about appearing quirky and eccentric it is painful.

• Heart

Roo1

Just asked why they had to take such care if she wasn't allergic to the products they were using. It‘s like saying I’ve got a peanut allergy so I have to take care when eating cheese. Was genuinely confused and had to read her post about 3 times as thought I was missing something.

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Today’s pile of shite. She’s bailed on the chunky mani.

Has she ever mentioned facial mists before or used them on IG?
And I am getting increasingly fed up with her banging on about 'I have one of these {insert product} in every bag and every room in my house'. Not everyone can afford multiple buys. We do the radical thing of transferring stuff from one area to another as needed. We aren't all Sali 'I have pouches of all my makeup in all my bags' Hughes.

• Angry
Reactions: 22

Disillusioned

VIP Member
"The hard grind in journalism" has about killed me. Did Sali do a three-year newspaper cadetship, work midnight to dawn shifts, do death knocks, court report, sit in parliament? police rounds? learn shorthand? Yeah, thought not
Perhaps not, but I doubt the props cupboard at Loaded was a teddy bear’s picnic, Mel.

(Sorry, teddy bears’ picnic.)

Last edited:
  • Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Goodness. A Vogue article for this hair. What is going on with the bump bit?

View attachment 592524
It looks so ratty 😬
And it really looks like she is doing that uber cringe thing of slightly crouching and sticking her bum out to get the requisite thigh gap.
If so I'm actually mortified for her.

ETA her FB statement. She really really doesn't care what people think does she 😂😂😂

• Haha

melfish

VIP Member
What is she melting down over someone thinking it looks blonde? Why is this so threatening to her? I am genuinely perplexed

Sali, if you're reading here, forget your butthurt over your latest hair colour (if you like it, you like it and that's all that matters) and please defend yourself over that inane one-product Body Shop Avocado Body Butter column you did for the Grauniad. Explain how it's just a coincidence that every influencer going was suddenly also pushing that product at exactly the same time the BS were doing their grand relaunch and that you weren't in any way doing a sneaky #ad or #spon post or doing something ahead of a paid and planned collaboration?

• Heart

Annasho

Okay so might get blocked from GTL and following on IG. I am the Autistic woman who posted in her group. Most of us state exactly what we see and can't avoid being unfiltered. We literally learn to lie by interacting with neurotypicals who often bullshit. We lack that skill and therefore often say what we think and as an earlier poster mentioned we are often worth listening to as our thoughts are simply honest not rude (while to neurotypicals it comes across as exactly that - rude ) My thoughts after the interaction were there are millions of autistic women and men most of us are blunt, direct etc most of us love social media as it is easier than interacting face to face. Sali didn't know I was autistic but surely everyone not just influencers needs to learn to accept those that are different from themselves. I didn't even mean brassy blonde in a rude way. I actually think it looks nice but from the photo isn't grey. Sali - if you are reading - you can't always get nice comments believe me anyone who is autistic knows this, no environment works like that and if all you want is praise then get off social media - it is a tough environment to hang out in - also educate yourself on neurodiversity it is very common.
Bravo 👏
Thank you for stepping forward and for writing this. I'm a massive fan of unfiltered communication and have never understood why people veer so strongly towards the bullshit. Why is that approach right, but the other approach wrong?

Neurodiversity is such an important area for people to understand and also to embrace.

• Heart

Annasho

I get the feeling they both understand that with the massive perks of fame will come a downside - but they don't play victim or dwell on those bits.
When you're famous as a by product of being seriously good at what you do, you'll always have better things to focus on than opinion and idle gossip.

It's different for those who court celebrity, controversy, or just generally pursue approval.

• Heart

Roo1

Did her sycophants jump on you? That is such bizarre behaviour. I hope you stick around here, if you read back on her threads you will honestly get your eyes opened to the ways of Saintly Sal.
No, nothing! I’ve been having a good old read on here and have gone from furious to hysterical laughing to feeling like I’m not the biggest bitch in the world for doubting her! You guys should write comedy! I’m so over these ‘influencers’.

• Heart
  • Haha

GossipMongoose

VIP Member
When I was adding to the Wiki a section on the Radio 4 programme, I realised that neither in the programme nor in any of the associated articles or interviews was there any reference (by herself or others) to her work as a social media influencer - despite it being absolutely central to the 'trolling' she was apparently seeking to understand.

Here, again, in the Vogue article - where apparently it was her job as an events host, not as an influencer, that she was warned might be at risk if she was looking older:

'I was warned privately that it would be a bad move. A big part of my job is hosting public and industry events for retailers and brands. After I mentioned online that I was considering grey, a few well-meaning beauty industry colleagues suggested I might now be seen as “older generation” and risk losing out on work.'
Such bollocks, grey as a hair colour trend has been around for a few years now, is still alive and kicking and is well known in the beauty industry 🙄

• Heart
  • Haha