Sali Hughes #33 Grifty shades of grey. It's a complex case.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To the aspiring writer who posted about the poor quality of Sali's journalism. This is what brings me here to the viper's nest also. I suppose I am an ex Sali groupie. I consumed a lot of Sali stuff and started noticing some of her career's "advice" regarding journalism was extremely dodgy and parts of her story just didn't add up. I noticed her column was becoming infuriatingly dull week-on-week. I attended one of her events where a young woman asked about how to get into journalism. Her answer involved relating her own backstory as a teenage runaway who was "always going to be a journalist" and getting a job at Loaded magazine because she tidied the accessories cupboard while the male staff were out for a boozy lunch. It was then I realised Sali was actually not a journalist. She is somebody born in a particularly lucky era where you could turn up at the doors of a media company and get a job. Her "advice" was basically, be like me, don't be boring or studious, don't get exams, leave school early, ingratiate yourself to all men especially older men at every opportunity and be the coolest girl around. So this, fellow sewer dwellers, is how one lands a Guardian column.
I think it's a myth that there was a time when you could 'turn up at the doors of a media company and get a job'. Then, as now, a lot depended on connections and I don't think SH was any exception. Her teenage runaway backstory used to include her staying in London with an uncle who ran clubs and hung out with Leigh Bowery - so pretty well connected on the London scene. Whether that led to an introduction or just how she came to know that there was an opening... At the very least you needed to know which door to turn up at when.

• Wow
Reactions: 24
I see she has FINALLY acknowledged her lockdown privilege, although I would lay money on it having being added during editing.
Her hair reminds me of when my brunette mum was going grey and she would "frost" her hair. You know, with the swimming cap and the hook pulling the hair through?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I couldn’t articulate exactly what the photo of the hair was making me think of - thanks for Whitesnake!! I think in my mind it was AC/DC. Or Bon Jovi.
She is not a good advert for Goldwell, the hair colour evokes memories of pub wallpaper in the days before the smoking ban.
I miss @NoF*ckingJoke GTL, she went brown in lockdown, I have done too. I actually did go and buy a load of new tops. I needed lighter colours now my hair is darker. I do think it’s totally normal to change your wardrobe and makeup when you change your hair colour!

I think it's a myth that there was a time when you could 'turn up at the doors of a media company and get a job'. Then, as now, a lot depended on connections and I don't think SH was any exception. Her teenage runaway backstory used to include her staying in London with an uncle who ran clubs and hung out with Leigh Bowery - so pretty well connected on the London scene. Whether that led to an introduction or just how she came to know that there was an opening... At the very least you needed to know which door to turn up at when.
Also, Burchill did it first.

Reactions: 15
Haven't read it yet - do horrible trolls get a mention?

ETA - read it and sadly no.
That really is a very unflattering after photo. Her hair doesn't look grey there but sort of yellowy.
And I still fail to understand her revulsion for a few grey hairs. Hardly empowering getting older is it? Having to undergo such a massive change to make a huge statement to hide how actually grey she was (not very).
I'm not making myself clear as really I don't care about Sali's hair, but it isn't the hugely empowering and embracing age gesture she implies.
She now can tediously make herself a spokesperson for aging whilst again never mentioning the tweakments or Botox. We've never had a video or Vogue article about that have we?
Bloody good point!!

Reactions: 4
I"be never heard the Lee Bowery bit. Only the she was so runaway, so poor, so achingly cool and helpful and willing and naturally talented part. And that at 15/16 all her friends were adults with amazing jobs. Because she was so very cool. Interesting!!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
If she was aiming for chic, cool and sophisticated - she maybe needs a rethink.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I think her hair looks bloody awful, she should at least cut it into a great bob and get rid of the straggly yellow tinged ends.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Thinking about the article more it is so irritating she sees herself as this crazy maverick defying conventions and all advice to just do what she likes.
I know we are talking about it here but in reality just who cares? And being advised it might affect her career? I simply don't believe that for one second. That's what she likes to think no doubt - hence all the guff about being so defiant.
It is one of life's ironies that those who bang on about not caring what other people think are often the most thin skinned and desperate for approval. Otherwise why the caveat 'don't say mean things'.
Sali is one of the most acutely conformist and self conscious people I can think of tbh. So concerned about appearing quirky and eccentric it is painful.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
She’s live right now about her skin condition and
her makeup / hair combo looks really off.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
271BD341-F306-45D7-A925-325777150940.png

It’s finished now but just went back to catch from the start - this is from the uncomfortable start where she’s rummaging about and not ready 😬

edit: it’s not picking it up well! But in video those darker patches have a much yellower tinge

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I think she needs to go for a Bob with a strong outline, bit of shape around the face and she’s grand

The dry wispy ends are making it look dryer

Reactions: 9
View attachment 591547
It’s finished now but just went back to catch from the start - this is from the uncomfortable start where she’s rummaging about and not ready 😬

edit: it’s not picking it up well! But in video those darker patches have a much yellower tinge
It’s greasy on top and so dry at the ends, horrendous. At least she didn’t pay 😁😁.

I’m sorry 😂😂😂but an expert in complex cases did that ?

• Haha
Reactions: 11
View attachment 591547

She is very violet at the temples too

It just seems like a high-maintenance faff when her natural hair with the sprinkle of white looked just fine. That would have been the defiant path, not ... whatever this is
Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 11.59.39 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.