Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Aude

VIP Member
When I was adding to the Wiki a section on the Radio 4 programme, I realised that neither in the programme nor in any of the associated articles or interviews was there any reference (by herself or others) to her work as a social media influencer - despite it being absolutely central to the 'trolling' she was apparently seeking to understand.

Here, again, in the Vogue article - where apparently it was her job as an events host, not as an influencer, that she was warned might be at risk if she was looking older:

'I was warned privately that it would be a bad move. A big part of my job is hosting public and industry events for retailers and brands. After I mentioned online that I was considering grey, a few well-meaning beauty industry colleagues suggested I might now be seen as “older generation” and risk losing out on work.'

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
It is ridiculously petulant for a beauty writer to insist that you can make a drastic change without needing to change makeup etc. Even without completely changing my hair colour I have had to update my makeup as sometimes I've found that some colours that might have suited me once don't anymore. It happens

Reactions: 18

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Let's not spiral into introspection and self-examination again. This is all Sali
I agree with this. As I said, we owe her nothing, she is a public figure to us, not a mate. We are not contacting her directly on her social media, we are discussing her on a site dedicated to influencers. The same site she chooses to come and read herself

• Heart

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
Well if this is what fashion and money and being a Guardianista gets you, I shall be content as a beef faced married incel.

How funny that India came up with married incel, I am unsure whether she is one, and whether that is or isn’t a good thing.

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Ohhhh great. More delusional old Francophile shite that makes me want to (censored for the sensitive) Paris.

The grand old 'off duty model' look!' Haha, that old bullshit beloved of fashion writers fresh out of any originality or sense of reality for the last four decades. You know why rubbish things look good on off duty models? Because they're super young, genetically blessed, fucking MODELS that's why. A brown paper bag, a man's t-shirt three sizes too large, zero make up, a plaster cast and three week unwashed hair pulled back with a blue rubber band the postman threw on the driveway looks good on them. Doesn't mean the rest of us look good doing it. Jesus. Tell your average 43 old old Jane with difficult textured hair that blows up with humidity to follow this 'do nothing' advice and she'll get written up at work for looking 'unprofessional'.

As for trying to get us to believer all these glamorous French actresses look uhmazing making zero effort to even wash their hair. Illustrated with pics of them on red carpets after doubtless hours of very expensive and elite professional hair and make-up and wearing bloody couture. Unbelievable. We all know how much effort goes into the no make up 'look' (as opposed to no actual make-up). Same going on with this French shit. It's the art of looking like you don't really care, not actually acting like you don't care. I once had a boyfriend back in the day who favoured an artful beach bum look. He would spend an hour deciding which artfully holey shirt to wear, the vain twat. Same thing.

As for 'every woman in France' follows the rule never to dye your hair any colour than your natural colour. REALLY. Nobody in France bleaches, highlights or goes red, black, whatever? What old nonsense. I can think of multiple peroxdided French stars to begin with. I can also think of many with heavy PS and early nose jobs (Isabelle Adjani, come on in). It is such a weird mythology that gets passed around in the face of the evidence.

Sorry, had to get that all off my chest. Proceed as normal.
Aaaand breathe.
But yes totally agree. I am a sucker for the 'French woman vibe' tbh. I love the way some actually have wrinkles. But the whole thing is totally as artificial as any other standard women are expected to adhere to. Skinny, lightly tanned, messy pretty hair, slouchy mannish clothes, minimal makeup - apparently so casual but incredibly contrived. I love that look in theory but it is a myth that it is effortless. And that it is a birthright of every French woman.

• Heart

HattieJakes

I think it's a myth that there was a time when you could 'turn up at the doors of a media company and get a job'. Then, as now, a lot depended on connections and I don't think SH was any exception. Her teenage runaway backstory used to include her staying in London with an uncle who ran clubs and hung out with Leigh Bowery - so pretty well connected on the London scene. Whether that led to an introduction or just how she came to know that there was an opening... At the very least you needed to know which door to turn up at when.
I"be never heard the Lee Bowery bit. Only the she was so runaway, so poor, so achingly cool and helpful and willing and naturally talented part. And that at 15/16 all her friends were adults with amazing jobs. Because she was so very cool. Interesting!!

• Haha

WinterSolstice

VIP Member
At this stage I have strong feelings of BOREDOM with it.

it’s a hairstyle, not brain surgery, ya kno? Who really gives a shit?

except for all the delicious drama 😂😂

🐀 🐀 🐀 🐀

• Haha
  • Heart

Annasho

God SHE really is vile. That poor Liv didn’t say anything bad at all, it was a purely neutral comment and yet she got absolutely chewed out for it. Fuck Sali.
She must think Liv is one of the sewer dwellers, though God only knows why. She didn't say anything that's bitchy, or confrontational. Sali on the other hand comes across really badly here.

Aude

VIP Member
I have a view on thread titles which is that they lose their impact/humour/beauty if they combine disparate elements. I appreciate the inclusive spirit that leads us to combine suggestions but I think each of the three main ones currently - she here, the one referencing her missed calling as a medical receptionist, something rhyming with brassy - would be better alone. Good suggestions can always be used another time. I imagine the medical receptionist one will have a fairly long shelf life.

• Heart

Mazerati

Chatty Member
Guys my plants are all fine but they're not growing fast enough so I've come back here for some entertainment and WOAH NELLY!

This is hilarious. It has everything! Oh Sali. You poor thing. If only all these trolls would just leave you alone. But you're addicted to it. You've found it's quite nice this new victimhood where you can simultaneously not care a jot what anyone thinks but also write paragraph after paragraph for your fans about how mean they are wahhhhh.

Thanks everyone. This has been quite fun. Definitely agree with Squalor that she's gonna do a u turn at some point when she accepts she doesn't like it will write some tosh about how it's actually pretty feminist to not be grey and choose colour suits you or some such crap.

Right back to shouting at my monstera. Thinking some tough love is what it needs, right?