Sali Hughes #25 Gifted. I try very hard to pay but she will not have it

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok, has anyone tried Morpheus8 treatments? I’m intrigued!
I haven't tried it but, funnily enough, I'd just mentioned it on the 'Beyond skincare...' thread. I was saying there that if I was going to have one of those laser/radio frequency skin tightening treatments that's probably the one I'd choose.

I've had that type of the treatment in the past - Ultherapy, about 7 years ago - and it was incredibly painful and expensive and I didn't see any result. Although I'm sure these machines are continuing to improve in terms of results and painlessness, I'd need to be pretty certain it was going to make a significant improvement before I went down that route again.

My aesthetic doctor does the Morpheus8 treatment - I think he does it quite a lot - and I was asking him about it last time I saw him. He didn't give it much of a hard sell - part of the reason I go to him. I asked if it hurt and he said it does (where I'm sure some other practitioners will say 'Just feels a little warm').

Angie - HotandFlashy - said recently that she'd booked to have Morpheus8 this year but cancelled because of Covid and will try again in the new year. I don't know if you watch her, but she's the only beauty blogger/journalist I've found who I think does her research, tests things out properly and gives an honest opinion. I'll be interested to hear her experience if/when she has it, but just the fact that it's the treatment she's chosen gives it some endorsement for me.

Reactions: 4
Just seen Dr Natalia talking about (what I think) is the skin and me prescription strength of tretinoin. Is anyone using skin and me? I have for the past few months and I’m happy with how my skin looks, she’s basically saying how there’s no evidence for anything under 0.025% Now I’ve never used Tret until I started using skin and me 3 months ago and I’ve seen that my skin is smoother, but wondering if it’s to do with the other ingredients in the formulation - niacinamide and azelaic acid both at 4%. I’m due to go up to 0.025% in a month I think. So what’s confusing me here is that who do you bloody well trust?!!! Sali was shilling Skin & Me but it was free and then only 20quid a month, which is way less than what I was spending before... hmmm. I know the answer is TRUST NOONE ON INSTA WITH A BLUE TICK. 🤯

Attachments

Reactions: 1
Apologies if this was discussed upthread but do LED masks work well? What results have you seen @Aude ? There are quite a few cheaper dupes I’ve seen at the £40 mark on Amazon that are intriguing me...
I do so much - Tretinoin, Botox, Nuface, micro-needling and more - that it's really hard to tell what's responsible for what results. I wish I had the discipline to try one thing at a time to make a proper assessment of what's working and what's not.

Angie (HotandFlashy) said recently that the only new thing she introduced into her skincare this year was an LED mask and her skin has improved - I think a general improvement but pigmentation in particular.

• Heart
@Aude I've just ordered the hair stuff. Reviews seem to be consistently excellent and loads noted the great smell too. Thank you!

Reactions: 1
Just seen Dr Natalia talking about (what I think) is the skin and me prescription strength of tretinoin. Is anyone using skin and me? I have for the past few months and I’m happy with how my skin looks, she’s basically saying how there’s no evidence for anything under 0.025% Now I’ve never used Tret until I started using skin and me 3 months ago and I’ve seen that my skin is smoother, but wondering if it’s to do with the other ingredients in the formulation - niacinamide and azelaic acid both at 4%. I’m due to go up to 0.025% in a month I think. So what’s confusing me here is that who do you bloody well trust?!!! Sali was shilling Skin & Me but it was free and then only 20quid a month, which is way less than what I was spending before... hmmm. I know the answer is TRUST NOONE ON INSTA WITH A BLUE TICK. 🤯
I'm no expert but I am inclined to agree with Dr Spierings here - but that's simply because what she says is the advice I've always read: start with 0.025% and if that's too strong don't use it every day, build up gradually.

When I read, a while ago, SH saying she was using a Skin+Me prescription with a very low dose of Tretinoin I did wonder what good that could be doing. I'd assume Skin+Me prescribes such a low dose to start with simply because they're playing it very safe as regards trying to avoid initial irritation.

In terms of who to trust though, my understanding is that Dr Spierings is - or was - connected with the brand Dermatica, which I think was the only online skincare prescription service until Skin+Me came along. I'm pretty sure 0.025% is the lowest strength Tretinoin that Dermatica prescribes. I think she's likely to be right that there isn't research showing its efficacy below 0.025%.

I get my prescription - currently, Tretinoin 0.1% + Niacinamide 4% + Azelaic Acid 4% - from Dermatica and I've been very happy with the service. I think the monthly cost is around the same as Skin+Me.

Reactions: 3
Holy Cow I’ve never read Hadley Freeman before and that was just painful. Does she usually dislike her interviewees or does she in particular hate Jen and Reese?
If she really wanted to help open the conversation on sexual assault in the media industry that was a terrible way to go about it. You don’t demand a victim of assault tap dance for your article and get pissy when they enforce their obviously previously set boundary with you. Newsflash Hadley boundaries are incredibly important to people who have had those boundaries destroyed in an assault.
Not going to touch on her mean girl opening except to say, maybe if you think your outfit is so lame, old, and dirty don’t wear it in a professional setting to interview women who are literally know globally for their beauty and style. Yikes 😬😬😬
Hadley Freeman was also horrible about Deliciously Ella in this article: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...cial-media-fantasy-and-reality-hadley-freeman

and compared her to Donald Trump in this one (??)

On Elizabeth Day's 'How to Fail' podcast Ella didn't name Hadley out of politeness, but referred to her and said how incredibly upset it had made her feel. She also talked about how hypocritical it was for HF to be constantly boasting about how feminist she is... (sorry if this is off topic, but similar to general mean-girl vibes)

• Angry
Reactions: 8
Hadley Freeman was also horrible about Deliciously Ella in this article: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...cial-media-fantasy-and-reality-hadley-freeman

and compared her to Donald Trump in this one (??)

On Elizabeth Day's 'How to Fail' podcast Ella didn't name Hadley out of politeness, but referred to her and said how incredibly upset it had made her feel. She also talked about how hypocritical it was for HF to be constantly boasting about how feminist she is... (sorry if this is off topic, but similar to general mean-girl vibes)
Ooof. "Deliciously Ella is the precursor to Donald Trump. A sylph-like, wildly privileged girl from west London looks a little less aspirational when you realise she’s from the same mould as a race-baiting Oompa Loompa with a Weetabix (gluten!) on his head, doesn’t she?"

I find Deliciously Ella / her brand to be deeply problematic, but the above is unfair and uncalled for. It actually makes me feel quite angry that in Hadley Freeman's world it's fine for her to say that Deliciously Ella is 'in the same mould' as Donald Trump, but that Tattlers are appalling human beings for criticising her friend's work on a forum.* She seems like yet another journalist who has a column rather than a therapist, being paid to spew out her own prejudices and internalised problems.

*Apologies for the sentence structure, my foggy brain can't work what it should be 😬

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I just saw Shereene Idriss reference lip flip on IG. I had to Google it. Who even knew it was a thing?! Looks much less scary than filler both in terms of results and the procedure itself.

I'd never heard of that - looks interesting.

I once - several years ago - had Botox injected in my upper lip. It wasn't for this 'lip flip' but my then aesthetic doctor suggested it as a way of improving the little vertical lines on my upper lip. The Botox affecting the movement of the mouth made me dribble - and I couldn't pronounce 'p' and 'b' properly afterwards either.

Talking of upper lips lines - if anyone's interested - I think Tretinoin has really improved mine. They used to be the one thing that bothered me most. Apart from that failed experiment with Botox, for a few years I used to have a tiny bit of filler but it made my mouth look a bit 'done'. Recently, however, I've noticed that they're not really there anymore. I don't use Nuface or micro-needling there (because I can be prone to cold sores) and my LED mask doesn't have lights in that area, so Tretinoin is the only thing I can put the improvement down to.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Omg Hadley really seems to have a problem with women who make her feel frumpy due to pregnancy. She seems to blame them for some reason. Why do The Guardian keep publishing her bitter personal anti women rants? Cross with Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon because she turned up to an interview in a smelly old cardi 🤪

Btw on a very lose beauty note has anyone ever used one of those rubber scalp scrubby things you use when washing your hair? Apparently meant to promote healthy strong hair growth? I keep being recommended one called a Scalpy on FB. Help! I think I'm being influenced.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Omg Hadley really seems to have a problem with women who make her feel frumpy due to pregnancy. She seems to blame them for some reason. Why do The Guardian keep publishing her bitter personal anti women rants? Cross with Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon because she turned up to an interview in a smelly old cardi 🤪

Btw on a very lose beauty note has anyone ever used one of those rubber scalp scrubby things you use when washing your hair? Apparently meant to promote healthy strong hair growth? I keep being recommended one called a Scalpy on FB. Help! I think I'm being influenced.
Yes! It’s a silicone one with a curved handle (bit like a body brush but for your head)? I think they’re great.

As for Hadley bloody Freeman, she’s just an embarrassment to herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'd never heard of that - looks interesting.

I once - several years ago - had Botox injected in my upper lip. It wasn't for this 'lip flip' but my then aesthetic doctor suggested it as a way of improving the little vertical lines on my upper lip. The Botox affecting the movement of the mouth made me dribble - and I couldn't pronounce 'p' and 'b' properly afterwards either.

Talking of upper lips lines - if anyone's interested - I think Tretinoin has really improved mine. They used to be the one thing that bothered me most. Apart from that failed experiment with Botox, for a few years I used to have a tiny bit of filler but it made my mouth look a bit 'done'. Recently, however, I've noticed that they're not really there anymore. I don't use Nuface or micro-needling there (because I can be prone to cold sores) and my LED mask doesn't have lights in that area, so Tretinoin is the only thing I can put the improvement down to.
Interesting - I have those lip lines beginning even though I don't smoke. I've noticed that I purse my lips when I'm concentrating, though - very hard habit to break!

Reactions: 2

I'm going to have to unfollow this thread*, as I keep being influenced

*no chance of that happening

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
In
I'm no expert but I am inclined to agree with Dr Spierings here - but that's simply because what she says is the advice I've always read: start with 0.025% and if that's too strong don't use it every day, build up gradually.

When I read, a while ago, SH saying she was using a Skin+Me prescription with a very low dose of Tretinoin I did wonder what good that could be doing. I'd assume Skin+Me prescribes such a low dose to start with simply because they're playing it very safe as regards trying to avoid initial irritation.

In terms of who to trust though, my understanding is that Dr Spierings is - or was - connected with the brand Dermatica, which I think was the only online skincare prescription service until Skin+Me came along. I'm pretty sure 0.025% is the lowest strength Tretinoin that Dermatica prescribes. I think she's likely to be right that there isn't research showing its efficacy below 0.025%.

I get my prescription - currently, Tretinoin 0.1% + Niacinamide 4% + Azelaic Acid 4% - from Dermatica and I've been very happy with the service. I think the monthly cost is around the same as Skin+Me.
Thanks for this ! I might give Dermatica a try, the Skin&Me has definitely helped and improved my skin texture (IMO) but it was ok to start with I think. Thanks for the intel on the Dr - I’m a bit wary of her for a few reasons that have already been discussed on the Caroline Hirons thread. Will have a look at the tret research.

1608479223418.png

Great job with the foundation shade! Expect nothing less from a "self-proclaimed makeup maven".

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
What is she at? Is this really the same women that was always going on about being the palest of the pale?

• Heart
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.