Sali Hughes #24 She's gone totally QVC.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her account would be more interesting if it weren't just headshot after relentless headshot, but she's chasing the dragon, that next dopamine hit

Plus her livelihood is tied up in it now

Instagram is a scourge. Future generations - assuming our stupid species survives - will look back on this era with scorn and bemusement
Not to downplay all the good points in your post, but -

You - “she's chasing the dragon”

Sali - “they’re discussing my Welshness again!“

• Haha
Reactions: 21
That tray is a thing of beauty. Teenage me wants to come over to your house and swatch them all and drink lambrini and gossip.

Edit: adult me wants to do same but with some inexpensive but very delicious French plonk.
Oooh I haven’t had Lambrini in years! I could offer that or Sancerre... two ends of a delicious spectrum :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Is there a sentence in that column without alliteration?

Meanwhile, here's an article about the tactics of online retailers, but is also applicable to influencers, basically middlemen for online retailers. Especially for those kindly curated limited edition kits.
Great article - there's a lot more that could be said on that subject. I know I'm very susceptible. One of the tactics they advise overspenders to use is the "power pause", so retailers will do all they can to create a sense of urgency or scarcity which triggers FOMO.

Reactions: 12
I've got velvet blush and find it really clings to any flakes if my lips are dry. It needs quite precise application but does wear down nicely once it's on. I'm not blown away by it though - I find the formula very similar to Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution.
You’re lucky you managed to bag one. I really wanted that one, but they’d sold out!

• Sad
Reactions: 4
This excellent video by Lab Muffin is calling out influencers for skincare-shaming and bullying people for not buying pricey stuff. I wonder who she could possibly have in mind? 🤔 Perhaps I should have posted in another thread (rhyming with "dire 'uns") but it's a toss-up.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Great article - there's a lot more that could be said on that subject. I know I'm very susceptible. One of the tactics they advise overspenders to use is the "power pause", so retailers will do all they can to create a sense of urgency or scarcity which triggers FOMO.
That article felt too close to home. I resist but feel the fomo. The '20% off your next time purchase if you choose casual delivery' saved me from some impulse black friday purchases. Altho that they needed to persuade people to spread their order by reducing their margins again shows how unmanageable black friday logistics are.

Reactions: 6
Oh god her column. The first par, I just can't. It reads like straight-up parody
(forgive me, I have not read back in the thread yet, but I had to get this out so my head didn't 🤯)

The alliteration alone :LOL:

• Haha
Sali claims that her nationality is erased by typos, but she’s erased my humanity in her opening paragraph. ‘the world is divided in two: the sophisticates and the toddlers. The former favour fine botanical oils, natural milks and complex aromatherapeutic fragrances. The latter crave sweet, fat bubbles, dense enough to make a carefully laid foam beard last the duration of Carols From King’s.’

I don’t belong to either camp, what ever will I do? Am I no longer of this world? Am I a cyborg (in which case do my electricals render me unsuitable for bathing?)

Come to think of it, she’s omitted The Bath Salts Brigade, a number of whom reside in this thread🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 25
OK, so now I have my eye on the Huda foundation sticks. I don't wear foundation, but this looks like something I could manage. The mac app tells me I am an NW20. Can one of you clever people tell me what shade I might be in the Hada stick?

Reminds me of that classic from Mumsnet "the ever peripheral Sali Hughes".
Ouch :LOL:

I've just read the article - she keeps saying how 'arduous' the testing has been. I think she's joking but it's difficult to tell when reading it. Also - is it really so hard testing lipsticks and skincare?! As she must be comparing it to what she usually does if she is joking. Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Reactions: 2
OK, so now I have my eye on the Huda foundation sticks. I don't wear foundation, but this looks like something I could manage. The mac app tells me I am an NW20. Can one of you clever people tell me what shade I might be in the Hada stick?

There’s a colour-matching app on Cult Beauty which will suggest shades for a number of brands, and Huda is one of them. I’ve seen other people rate it, however when I tried it it came up with suggestions which I know to be too light but I did try it in the second week of having Covid and therefore looking DogRoughTM, so I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt.

There’s also a matching tool on the Huda website, which I found much less helpful.

• Heart
I've just read the article - she keeps saying how 'arduous' the testing has been. I think she's joking but it's difficult to tell when reading it. Also - is it really so hard testing lipsticks and skincare?! As she must be comparing it to what she usually does if she is joking. Maybe I'm reading too much into this.
Its really arduous taking long luxurious baths.

• Haha
Arduous jumped out at me too. Probably an attempt at wry humour, but at some level she believes it. Why labour that she spend a month testing. C'mon. How long was she submerged for? Her already dry skin must be like the Atacama desert

Reactions: 5

I would go to her website and look at each foundation shade to see the face of the model wearing it to decide whether or not it could be a match for you. Then google the shade you think might be closest to your skin tone and check out YouRube reviews. Try also googling Huda foundation stick & Mac NW20

I’m not convinced this is particularly accurate (and it relates to the liquid foundation not the stick which doesn’t have matching shades), but take a look:

Last edited:
  • Heart
Is there a sentence in that column without alliteration?

Meanwhile, here's an article about the tactics of online retailers, but is also applicable to influencers, basically middlemen for online retailers. Especially for those kindly curated limited edition kits.
Thankyou for posting this x very timely advice for me.
Reads like a check list for selly Sali and her ilk. Right in there with the faux friendly recommendations and greasing the purchase by promoting Klarna. Spending black Friday delivering news of hurry now offers to camera like she's doing the headlines at ten. Meanwhile she gathers up the gifted items and can't even muster the strength to swipe her credit card to pay for her insta eyebrows.
Off to calm my tits in an epsom salt bath. Getting magnesium next time though 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Sali claims that her nationality is erased by typos, but she’s erased my humanity in her opening paragraph. ‘the world is divided in two: the sophisticates and the toddlers. The former favour fine botanical oils, natural milks and complex aromatherapeutic fragrances. The latter crave sweet, fat bubbles, dense enough to make a carefully laid foam beard last the duration of Carols From King’s.’

I don’t belong to either camp, what ever will I do? Am I no longer of this world? Am I a cyborg (in which case do my electricals render me unsuitable for bathing?)

Come to think of it, she’s omitted The Bath Salts Brigade, a number of whom reside in this thread🤔
How DARE she erase your humanity with no mention of a salty bath....??? I’m in the Bath Salt Brigade and hate a bubble (singular) or an oil. A few weeks ago I bought some fancy magnesium salts with lavender, hoping for the ULTIMATE relaxation bathing experience. Anyway the bloody lavender was actually lavender petals - like the stuff you get in a lavender bag. It was the opposite of relaxing and I ended up getting a bleeping sieve to fish all the lavender out of the water... I felt like a midwife next to a birthing pool. Apologies, I may have mentioned it before so sorry if I am repeating myself.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.