Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
The popular influencer Sali Hughes was spotted emerging from Hersheshons looking exactly the same as when she entered, according to our sources.

Hughes, who has over 171k followers, received a free press treatment in exchange for coverage on her Instagram stories, it has been reported.

"As a philanthropist, I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to reach out to those who need it. My beloved beauty industry, the industry that has sustained me from teenage tearaway to Brighton luvvie, the least I could do is give back to the industry. It was my great pleasure to graciously accept a free treatment in exchange for featuring a few hastily knocked together selfies on my Instagram stories for 24 hours", the influencer was heard murmuring without a trace of self awareness.

At a time when the beauty industry is on its knees and staff are facing furlough, staff were said to have been "honoured" to attend to Hughes for free, our sources reveal. More as we get it

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
I get that's it not a serious piece of hard hitting journalism, but it's disappointing to see "cheap tea" as one of her must haves. It's cheap because of exploitation of tea estate workers, who are mostly women. But I guess her lipstick liberalism and literature style empowerment doesn't extend to those in Assam, Kenya or Sri Lanka

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 37

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Owning it to an extent, and minimising it for all she’s worth.
Totally. "Becky" apologised for talking about her here but Sali is still baying for her blood and acts like it's unforgivable. But she apologised to a peer who mixes in the same circles as her so that's fine? She's a massive hypocrite

• Heart
Reactions: 34

The Dowager

Chatty Member
Why doesn’t she follow her own advice?????

“'A good, arched brow – thicker than Edith Piaf's, thinner than Kate Middleton's – works better than Botox'”

What a difference nine years makes. She looked so much better before. What on earth has happened to her? She looks like a totally different person now!

View attachment 306013
I mean, she's no minger now but just imagine having this as your starting point and 'tweaking' the features out of it. This is such an interesting, attractive face.

I still don't think I'm jealous, but I do slightly despair at how someone who wasn't born looking like an uncooked Christmas ham has chosen to take a great face and morph into Yet Another Instagram Face. Meanwhile, Hermione Hamhock over here is desperately trying to contour some definition into her face with her trotters and would happily welcome a natural mole onboard, if it helped to break up the great expanse of pork cheek. I do feel a bit bad if she's succumbed to pressure, but my sympathy is limited given the role that influencers and beauty journalists play in perpetuating these ideals of 'what women should look like this year'.

PS, I'm not being overly harsh on myself, I really do look like a Gloucestershire Old Spot. Fortunately though I have an exemplary brain and make incredible roast potatoes, so need not rely on my looks to succeed in life / find a boar to settle down with ;)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33

Curio

Chatty Member
I did have a nice bath and telly night and then I popped my head round here this afternoon and URGH!
Am I to believe she douses herself in philosykos to disguise the smell of cheap biscuits and margarine?
This is worse than when the middle classes started going to Aldi and banging on about how excellent their own brand chocolate is.

Edit spelling
No need for Philosykos when you can buy Tesco own brand fig rolls and rub them on your pulse points.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Sali has the unfortunate way of appearing smug in her writing - even when she is being self deprecating. Her certainty at all times that she is right about everything is incredibly off putting.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
I’m going to take Sali’s advice and not read her columns, it will only push them further up the google results which may lead to others reading them. Instead I shall rely on the snippets my friends here tell me, and from those snippets I shall make judgements.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Thanks to @Disillusioned for the thread title with the most likes!

Much of the focus has been on the spectacular own goal of the documentary. We also learned that anyone who goes to lurk on Tattle is worse than the devil and destroys lives as they're furthering Tattle up Google search results. Of course, Sali and her mates (and the psychologist that kindly hung out in the sewer) are exempt from this. That kind of lurking is fine, google search results knows what your lurking intentions are

Thankfully we've got @Aude to set the record straight on Sali and her mistruths/ utter lies

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27

rosemarina

VIP Member
God, it must be so exhausting for her wanting always to be the best, the first, the most aspirational, the most down to earth, the shortest, the most Welsh, the most absolute, the most resolute and the most in-the-know.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
I don't know what you're all complaining about - that piece is a revelation!

No more paying a leopard hunter and having my atelier knock up a new coat every year in the shape of the season, away with the indentured nonna rustling up my daily spag bol, nor commissioning the local master craftsman every Sunday when we fancy a new game of drafts.

What a moneysaver!

Edit : I may get nonna to recreate one of those "potted noodles" before I fire her, they sound quite delicious!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 25

Raindropsonkittens

Chatty Member
She’s just keepin’ it real. Showing that she is discerning & can see through the smoke & mirrors & determine what is actually good as opposed to ‘perceived quality’. It adds to her brand cachet of honesty, sound judgement & great taste. Never mind that it doesn’t jive with her sustainability expertise or that she is easily popped in the pockets of big brands (dressing for Leonard) for the right price. We are meant to thank her for liberating us from the middle-clasd tyranny of Nespresso & Dualit and feel grateful that we have her blessing to eat Curly Wurlys and Walkers cheese & onion. She’s a taste-maker, early adopter & opinion former and her views COUNT.

• Haha
Reactions: 25

Skiddidlydaddle

Chatty Member
She’s clearly owning her behaviour in that Twitter exchange isn’t she, or saying she did? It’s what she wants from users here right? No anonymity etc, ownership, apologies for the distress it causes her (this is my reading of her position - I don’t really know what I make of any of it).
I think she is "owning it" as she doesn't really have any choice. The proof of the bullying campaign against Dawn P is there in the LimeGoss article and in Aude's wiki in black and white.

I find the reason "back when twitter was new" very weird too. You were horrible to someone because using social media was a novelty? No, you were horrible because you are snide and supercilious surely.

Reactions: 24
I do believe that 'Becky' is real.

The story SH tells (I think the fullest version is on the Radio Ulster interview) is that Becky wrote to her a few months ago to say that she was taking stock of things and having therapy and, as part of that, wanted to apologise. SH, who was then making her Radio 4 programme, persauded her to be interviewed for it.

The feeling I got was that Becky was very nervous (who says 'I'm a nice mum'?) and was trying to appease. I imagine SH sitting there stony faced while Becky tried to win her over by saying what she wanted to hear.

If Becky's reasons for having been here were similar to most of us, explaining them to SH would have involved criticising her - and if you've some awareness of how she responds to criticism you'd think twice before going down that route. Much easier to say 'Hmm. I don't know. Maybe you just reminded me of a friend I was having problems with''.
I concur with this completely. I couldn't imagine facing SH in person - she has the imperious "you look like shit" expression down to a tea 😂.

But the person who wondered why the BBC didn't contact anyone here for an interview is right. It would have made better journalism and a more interesting show. However, Becky was ready to fit the narrative SH wanted to deliver. Why interview someone who has a socially aware job and who will speak reasonably about why they question SH's integrity? Having said all that, as the mods who received the questions from the BBC said, it wasn't worth participating in. The BBC had their narrative, and anything anyone said here would have been twisted because there was no interest in listening to different viewpoints. They would have edited any interview to shreds and the doc would have been even more infuriating.

Also as an aside - I find it hilarious that post-doc and SH going quiet on the western front, most of this thread has flowed quite nicely away from SH to conversations around makeup and fashion. To me it proves the point that if SH had never mentioned this site publicly, it would be pretty damn quiet. SH is not a widely known influencer. Normally, influencers with smaller followings have relatively quiet threads because not enough people care to talk about them - even when they're annoying/disingenuous. I only found SH because I love watching celebrity makeup/skin routines on YouTube, so her ITB series came up on my recommended list. I don't read The Guardian for makeup tips so had never even heard of her column. Then I followed her on Insta and she mentioned "dragging sites". I Googled "SH dragging site" and here I am. Will add that I'm no longer following SH, though I follow this thread for some light entertainment 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

Kate123

She was PAID to write that! I mean, wtf? And then journalists bemoan the fact that people don't want to buy papers anymore. Nothing in that article was professional standard writing, nothing witty, lyrical, well researched, interesting, thoughtful or wise. No surprising word choice - no political message. It was just waffle, nonsense that she wrote in 30 mins or fewer off the back of a Twitter post. Even worse than that 'I don't wear high heels anymore' daftness from a few months back. How this woman is employed as a writer is beyond me.

• Heart

Kate123

Ok, so I’ve just read the razors article. What strikes me is that years ago, the service of SH’s column was that you really felt she’d spent time testing different products. A piece on single eyeshadows for example, would be informative and you got the sense hours of trying out and thinking about colour, formulation, uses for different occasions - including giving products to friends with different skin types. There was the sense that A LOT of work went into that 700 or so words. Now it just feels as if she shoves anything she’s sent that’s half decent into the column without that rigour and testing. It feels much more advertorial than a reader service - where was the comparison between different types of razor, different price points, different times you might need a razor and so on? I really do think there was a point where the guardian beauty column was great, but it has lost its way now. Is it that she can’t be arsed with the effort of all that work anymore? Or just that it’s more lucrative to enter into deals and sponsorships on Instagram and devote her time to that? Not sure why the column annoyed me so much, it was just lazy.

• Heart