Sali Hughes #23 Swipe up Sali!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i have had Ruby Woo and found it horribly drying. Is Red Carpet Red a Tilbury one? If so I don’t buy her stuff so can’t comment I’m afraid. As a rule I hate matt lipsticks, usually find them too dry and uncomfortable to wear. Haven’t found that at all with the LE ones. If I take time to apply it properly, it fades to a stain evenly (if you know what I mean).
Ruby Woo is just so uncomfortable to wear. I hated it

Have you gotRuby Woo and Red Carpet Red, though? I have and don’t want to get Velvet Ribbon in case it’s exactly the same.

Haha, this is about 80% me. However, though I am a barrister I actually work in a commercial law firm instead of chambers so I am very rarely in court. I wear 🤓 during waking hours because I can’t be assed with contact lenses. I DO have clear skin now thanks to double cleansing and acids though I didn’t during most of my thirties (I was severely depressed and thus negligent with hygiene). I DO wear a rose coloured lipstick during the day at work!! 😂

Since COVID and the triplets (two girls and a boy 😬) I’ve been home in joggers and a hoodie. One of my daughters went through a phase of projectile 🤮 so no smart clothes for The Wife and I!!! 🤦🏼‍♀️ And no, I am not a bit tired. I AM EXHAUSTED!! I don’t wear high necked dresses, just dresses. And I stupidly favour black despite having two cats and a dog.

—————-

I have a question for the hive mind, please! I am naturally mousey brown haired but dye it blonde. Having gone through some of Sali’s old videos I would quite like to go dark brown (I am ghostly pale and have blue eyes) but my wife thinks I might unsettle the children with such a drastic change (they’re ten months). What do you think?
Kids are fairly adaptable, I'd say go for it!

Reactions: 4
Haha, this is about 80% me. However, though I am a barrister I actually work in a commercial law firm instead of chambers so I am very rarely in court. I wear 🤓 during waking hours because I can’t be assed with contact lenses. I DO have clear skin now thanks to double cleansing and acids though I didn’t during most of my thirties (I was severely depressed and thus negligent with hygiene). I DO wear a rose coloured lipstick during the day at work!! 😂

Since COVID and the triplets (two girls and a boy 😬) I’ve been home in joggers and a hoodie. One of my daughters went through a phase of projectile 🤮 so no smart clothes for The Wife and I!!! 🤦🏼‍♀️ And no, I am not a bit tired. I AM EXHAUSTED!! I don’t wear high necked dresses, just dresses. And I stupidly favour black despite having two cats and a dog.

—————-

I have a question for the hive mind, please! I am naturally mousey brown haired but dye it blonde. Having gone through some of Sali’s old videos I would quite like to go dark brown (I am ghostly pale and have blue eyes) but my wife thinks I might unsettle the children with such a drastic change (they’re ten months). What do you think?
Oops sorry about the twins / triplets confusion and thanks for your comprehensive answer, it was fun to read. 😊

I too think the dark hair goes really well with pale skin and light eyes. Have you ever tried dark hair before?

I hate Ruby Woo for the same reason. Loved the colour, but after wearing it for a few days in a row my lips were SO dry :(

Reactions: 1
I’m with you all on the Lisa Eldridge lipstick staying power and the way it fades.... it’s quite magical how it seems to fade evenly.
Love the sound of your hair colour combination @GTL Old-Timer - I’d say go for it but maybe be prepared for it to be a bit more maintenance with make up etc. When I’m my natural colour - brown with lots of silver - I always feel like I need to brighten my face a bit more with make up than when I have some blonde and grey highlights in.

sorry to hear so many are having sleep problems, it’s tit! A few years ago, when my anxiety and OCD was through the roof I started subscribing to the Calm app and it’s bloody brilliant for getting me back off to sleep.

Forgot to say that my kids were fine when I went to a dark Bob, from shoulder length blonde dooo.

Reactions: 2
@Too Much, the call out to the hive mind above reminded me that you had done the same and I had made enquiries (well, enquiry) on your behalf. I have a friend who has had both eye surgery (for quite serious issues) and laser treatment at Moorfields. I put your enquiry to him and his response was: why would anyone go anywhere other than Moorfields? (Yes, he is a bit snotty.)

That's an excellent point about makeup @Badabing101 Blonde hair probably needs less or different makeup because of the natural light it gives ones face. I'm dark brown, with blue eyes and pale skin and some colours are out of the question

Oops sorry about the twins / triplets confusion
That’s ok!!

I too think the dark hair goes really well with pale skin and light eyes. Have you ever tried dark hair before?
Not really - I was a blonde child and then grew into mid brown mousey hair. I’ve been a bright blonde for nearly 14 years (since I was 35) so a drastic change isn’t something I’m bothered about.

That's an excellent point about makeup @Badabing101 Blonde hair probably needs less or different makeup because of the natural light it gives ones face. I'm dark brown, with blue eyes and pale skin and some colours are out of the question
This is interesting. I never really considered it. However, thanks to all the stockpiling of makeup I did during the GTL/SHB years, I now have quite a bit to experiment with!

Reactions: 3
Haven't read the thread back but noticed some recommendations for podcasts for getting off to sleep. I find Slow Radio good for this (though a lot of episodes feature water which just makes me have to get up to go to the loo). The one below is my go to - it's old machinery banging and typewriters clacking.
Also Max Richter's Sleep which is a classical composition which lasts just over 8 hours and is intended to mimic the pattern of sleep cycles - this helps me get a really deep sleep but I'd only listen when having an early night. It's on Spotify.
You Must Remember This podcast on Hollywood helps me to - I don't think I've ever made it through a full episode which is a shame because it seems really well researched. Her voice is so soothing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06mrwzr

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I would love to listen to something to get off to sleep. Mr DragName isn’t a fan of any sort of noise and needs silence to get to sleep, though. Would quite like to wake up to the radio as well but he’s not a fan of that either (and in fairness, I’m not a fan of the standby light you normally get on radios). I’ve never really got on with wearing headphones to bed. My sleep has been rotten lately, probably like lots of others, the old pandemic is starting to wear me down a bit.

Oh on the subject of podcasts- the reason I came on was to post that Dawn O'Porter talks briefly about the twitter bullying on her podcast - the one with Matt Haig. He later talks about Tattle in the same episode. From about 22 mins 50. The journalist who wrote the article she mentions shared and prauses SH's Radio 4 doc on Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06mrwzr

I would love to listen to something to get off to sleep. Mr DragName isn’t a fan of any sort of noise and needs silence to get to sleep, though. Would quite like to wake up to the radio as well but he’s not a fan of that either (and in fairness, I’m not a fan of the standby light you normally get on radios). I’ve never really got on with wearing headphones to bed. My sleep has been rotten lately, probably like lots of others, the old pandemic is starting to wear me down a bit.
My sleep was awful at the start of lockdown. I had one of the best night's sleeps after spending the evening watching a slow tv type programme of a shepherd gathering his flock on Scafell Pike. I thinm some of the BBC4 slow tv things are on youtube. Very relaxing viewing. Might help. If not, I hope you find something else soon. N'night.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
@ThisIsMyDragName can you stagger bedtimes by say 15 minutes? Does he read in bed at all? Sometimes it only takes 15-30 minutes of listening to something before I nod off.

White noise machines, honestly look into them. Got one 3 weeks ago and sleeping so much better. Added bonus, dwarfs the sound of the new neighbours’ cockerel.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Sorry Mselvista I have lost the thread of this, which journalist and which article?
Am not clear what is the podcast or what is an article, or have I missed something.

Sorry Mselvista I have lost the thread of this, which journalist and which article?
Am not clear what is the podcast or what is an article, or have I missed something.
No, it's me. Apologies, I put the wrong link. In this interview with Matt Haig DO'P refers to an article written by one of the people who engaged in the prawn stuff on Twitter with SH. From.about 22 mins and 50.

This is the article she's on about.

@Mselvista thank you, will listen to that pod.
Yes that guardian journalist indirectly brought me here, my friend said to look at the story she was sharing about trolls and all I could see was Beauty Banks at first. Then I fell down the internet...
All looking out for each other at the Grauniad I see...

I know some people hate it, but do any of you experience ASMR? I find it useful to get to sleep, lots of soothing videos on YouTube or audio-only on Spotify.

I know some people hate it, but do any of you experience ASMR? I find it useful to get to sleep, lots of soothing videos on YouTube or audio-only on Spotify.
i didn’t even know what it was until looking it up just now. I will definitely give it a go at some point!

I really like this though - reminds of being on an airplane at night when everyone is quiet and the lights have been dimmed:

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.