Sali Hughes #21 A Sali by any other name would smell as sweet with pretty bitter topnotes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Indeed he was. Sounds like this documentary will be all one sided with Sali painted as the victim. Will she mention how Lauren Luke lost her job because Sali tweeted how crap the column was? How she encouraged a pile on of Esther Coren for disliking an article she wrote? How Dawn O Porter lost work because of Sali and her mates? I wonder how those women will feel seeing Sali position herself as victim number 1

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Though I'd share this, came across the article when googling Guardian BTL:

This is from Charlie Brooks:

I keep wanting to ask to have all comments turned off. I think every columnist in the country would then applaud me … I’d say that enabling reader comments is the worst thing to have happened to newspapers since … since the last worst thing that happened to newspapers. I think there’s a Letters page for a reason. There’s plenty of room on the internet for people to say what they want, and where that isn’t is tacked on the end of something somebody else has written.

Abuse is wrong. Trolling is wrong. Discussing isn't. Yes there are some proper shits on the Guardian comments pages. As there are on Tattle, I'm sure (made the mistake of lurking on the conspiracy theories...goodness.)

Reactions: 7
I really wish Tattle mods and admin had the right to reply somewhere. Also, I've said it before but it's very convenient for Sali that all her articles for The Pool are gone now, so very little of her non-beauty content is available.

Reactions: 8
I saw a few of the "you're so beautiful and successful, they're just jealous" comments on Twitter. Seriously? Do men get accused of being jealous haters if they criticise or slag a footballer?

Sali has claimed two whopping lies have been posted here this morning. She never reads here though, of course

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I think the nature of making a thread about that person invites discussion of every aspect of their lives, as the person is the common thing keeping the group together. It's not a perfect situation by any means. I sometimes take a break as I feel like there can be a tendency to flog a dead horse, but I like the group - not necessarily for just the Sali critique, but the side convos about beauty, the industry, the impact of all this on an individual's sense of themselves and on society. I'd LOVE to be able to have you all on a separate non-SH thread where the focus is taken away from her, but she forms a small part of a larger mix of topics, but I fear that kind of thread might not take off.
Quite. I also get why it must seems like people on here talk about her ALL THE TIME but that's not true actually.

She said "if they don't like me can they not unfollow me?" By the same token if you don't like what is being said about you- not to you- surely you don't have to follow the thread here. See how that works?

And this isn't creepy. At all

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 26
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t see a comment section on Sali’s articles. So you can’t comment on any of her articles, but she also thinks you shouldn’t be able to go anywhere else to discuss?
They've been enabled for quite some time now. People were, well, too critical I guess? Trolls?

Reactions: 1
She said "if they don't like me can they not unfollow me?" By the same token if you don't like what is being said about you- not to you- surely you don't have to follow the thread here. See how that works?

How exactly does she manage to trace people who are on here?

Reactions: 3

Yel

it's very convenient for Sali that all her articles for The Pool are gone now, so very little of her non-beauty content is available.
Lots of it you can still see in the wayback machine, I didn't realise she had spoken so much about her marriage. Makes lots of her points redundant concerning that.

I'm sure this is already posted somewhere, but I highly doubt anyone here is aiming to cause emotional distress to an individual. Don't people say things here rather than someones feed so they don't get upset? Sali has said she doesn't even read here.

1601993288863.png

How exactly does she manage to trace people who are on here?
If the username links to a username on her forum or if they've posted something that gives them away. I think she was threatening to doxx me at one point, no doubt because I've posted an insta SS with my personal name it somewhere and Sali's assistant had the time to trawl.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
Have said it before, there is the biggest difference between posting here and baiting her on her social media. When I started posting here, I never imagined for a second that she would her ‘friends & family’ would search it out to devour and tell her that people thought she was a fraud/crap/dodgy, whatever.

I lasted maybe a month on her beauty site after the original GTL folded and never bothered rejoining her new GTL. On social media her career regression from journalism to influencer was almost comedy gold to watch, everyone could see it but she was in some sort of weird denial about it, getting snippy and cranky with anyone who questioned anything she did or said. She was the one who put the nail in the coffin of her journalistic integrity. As soon as you are paid by a brand for ads or content or promotion OF COURSE your impartiality is compromised, there is no reverse gear for that.

This entire Me & my Trolls PR stunt seems a bit of a gasp at clinging on to a journalistic career. I really hope that there is at some point a piece done on the insidious techniques of influencers and how they pray on peoples insecurities, slurring their mental health and emotional wellbeing.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm not putting real information about myself on this board. Bless her.

• Haha
Reactions: 17

Yel

I feel quite sorry for her at this point. She has convinced herself what she's saying is true. The beauty column is so tired that it's just rehashing the things done to death. The only comments with many likes on the guardian facebook when they share her articles are usually calling out the beauty industry for pedalling wasteful unnecessary crap, are these people trolls? She doesn't have that many career options and she's still struggling with herself after going down the Instagram influencer route which undermines what's supposed to be her career. (sorry repeating what many have said, but that I think is the crux of it all).

Last year she was all on about legal action threats, nearly a year later she's talking about a ticking time bomb as some kind of thinly veiled threat.

She'll feel on cloud 9 with all the buzz and people agreeing with her today and tomorrow all the other influencers giving her attention for the documentary as it also suits their agenda. But long term there are lots of valid viewpoints that won't go away. With each day there's a drip drip about influencers and how problematic they are, this will likely only continue in the coming months and years.

The most liked comment on her last column by far, the others with a couple of likes were asking about sustainability and asking what about aldi products.
1601996781141.png

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Yes, what are the two big lies and what’s the ticking time bomb? Us? Her? The whole site? What will happen when the bomb goes off? I’m not trying to be smart I literally don’t understand what she’s suggesting.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I'd imagine my claim that "Becky" is one of the two big lies. I stand by it, the account read like pure fiction, particularly the bit where "Becky" turned to her as she was leaving and said "I still don't know what it was all about".

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.