Sali Hughes #21 A Sali by any other name would smell as sweet with pretty bitter topnotes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But the things that do get questioned (her honest USP & the conflict of interest between claiming to be an impartial journalist & being an influencer) are a very sore point for her. Partly because I suspect she hasn’t reconciled the issue herself - she wants her cake & to eat it too.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
So they want to broadcast their fabulous lives full of gifts and sell to us little people (not leprechauns) all very publicly but wish for any critique to be done in private 🤨

I think a gotcha moment in this documentary will be a solicitor (that they've paid to give a view to fit the narrative) say that this site *might be* harassment as Sali knows about it. However another solicitor could equally say that's a load of rubbish as these people live their life courting publicity and it's inevitable people will have opinions.

Change the dragging website to accountability website and it takes on a very different meaning. Out of all of the public figures on social media, only a hanful have as many threads as Sali because it's not people "attacking" someone for no reason. These few accounts are the ones that are pretty shady online.

Heaven help this people if they lived in the real world and had to have an annual review.

The laws that need to be introduced are to protect people from the insidious nature of these influencers. Deep down they probably know they're in the wrong, but have gone down the path for so long they've no choice but to double down and blame the critics.
I’m so going into this years annual review and screaming Troll If my boss says anything bad.
I will then go online and do a crying rant to fit my own narrative
Get in the real world.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

Yel

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm disappointed at the BBC's lack of integrity and professionalism.

I was hoping that researchers might have found our wiki and been enlightened.
Sadly I don't think we ever had a chance of the BBC doing a balanced, unbiased and fair documentary.

That organisation is full of self serving blue tickers who would circle round to look out for one of their own. I bet they decided on the agenda and narrative to pursue right from the start without doing any basic investigation.

Imagine the fallout if the documentary wasn't stroking Sali's ego and telling her how right she is; Lauren Laverne and Richard Osmand would be fumin'.😂

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Sadly I don't think we ever had the chance of the BBC doing a balanced, unbiased and fair documentary.

That organisation is full of self serving blue tickers who would circle round to look out for one of their own. I bet they decided on the agenda and narrative to pursue right from the start without doing any basic investigation.

Imagine the fallout if the documentary wasn't stroking Sali's ego and telling her how right she is; Lauren Laverne and Richard Osmand would be fumin'.😂
It just feels so UNFAIR for things to be so MISREPRESENTED!

It also feels dystopian - the establishment controls the propaganda and the proles (us) have no chance of the truth being heard.

• Sad
Reactions: 21
I agree @Toomuch ... the worst thing is we’re talking about someone who promotes makeup and skincare (and now clothes - Hush partnership) as having a stronghold within the establishment and media (BBC). Imagine what it’s like with really serious subjects ...... oh wait they get buried like the Eric Joyce stuff which is in the public interest .

Insofar as I can recognise any of the examples she gives of ‘false allegations’ they seem to be, as always, a gross misrepresentation of what was said here – a tiny speck of substance taken out of context and exaggerated out of recognition.

For example, the allegation ‘…your marriage simply a means of acquiring a free nanny’. All there is here* is, first, a comment in December 2018 responding to SH’s Twitter criticism of an article by Esther Coren during which SH said ’I feel hugely sorry for these kids on the basis of what both parents have written about them’.

There were a number of comments here about that including:

‘This is yet another influencer cat fight made public ( of course ) by encouraging the sheep to take down the oppostion. SH will use her pool platform to further inflame and humble brag as always. In tyical smug SH style. EC has the bigger house, plus the better looking and far more successful husband. SH husband is a rather podgy nonentitiy, though a useful nanny I expect.’

The comment received one ‘like’ and no response from other posters.

Then in June 2019, SH retweeted a tweet by her husband which showed the cover of a cookery book alongside the cover of one of SH’s books, with the comment: ‘I’d love to know where the idea and design aesthetic for this kitchenalia book came from but can’t for the life of me work it out.’

There were a few posts here noting that the covers weren’t very alike and commenting ‘what a strange fight to pick’. The poster who had posted that comment above about EC having a more successful husband now commented:

‘The latest and very petty *kitchenali* insult from her unheard of comedy writer ( see unemployed ) spouse shows how low she can go.’

There was an immediate reply:

‘I do agree that the tweet was petty, but [name of SH’s husband] is hardly an unheard of comedy writer.’

The OP replied:

‘Hi, happy to be wrong. But honestly, I have never seen or read anything by [name] besides some work with [name] and the odd bits through Sali's sources like the pool/ soho radio. I suppose I'm comparing him to tv comedians which isn't the same. What is he famous for?’

To which the reply was:

‘He writes for [names] and does a fair amount of stuff with [name]. He’s definitely not a TV comedian, but he’s been around on the comedy scene for ages.’

To which the OP replied:

‘Ok. Thank you for replying. I've never heard of any of those people either. Anyway pleased the he isn't just the free nanny I thought he was [blushing face]'

So, yes, one poster - one single person - once made a sort of jokey comment about her husband being a 'free nanny' and one person ‘liked’ it. And then even the original poster retracted it!

How can that reasonably be considered a 'false allegation'?

I’d also note that the two occasions the ‘nanny’ comment was made were in the context of SH being unkind about other people to a far greater audience on Twitter. The context for the first was her comments about Esther Coren; the second was SH retweeting her husband’s implied allegation that her cover design had been plagiarised by someone else.

Again insofar as I can recognise anything, it dates back well over a year, to before her IG video. As we say in the Wiki, although her video gave a grossly misleading account of the content here, since then we have been careful to avoid making any comments at all about her family.

I do not doubt that online trolling does great harm to its victims – and if that was her campaign I’d be backing it – but these threads are not what she says they are.

*I assume she’s referring to here although she doesn’t name the site.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 43

A new article today. She's lost the plot, she really has. It's clear that being criticised on here has devastated her, but she's turned it in to something it's not. Saying this isn't 'gaslighting' Sali. I cannot fathom why she's twisted this in to something it isn't; I don't get the feeling that she's doing it for attention like others, it feels as if it's very true to her.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
When has anyone said this? One of the few things people respect her for is not posting pictures of her children. I don’t remember anyone accusing her of not spending time with her children. It is her that brings that into the equation, complaining about having to address Mumsnet threads on Mother’s Day (she could have done it any other day!).

Attachments

Reactions: 5

Yel

I gave up reading at the start as she says people are spending 16 hours a day here 😆. So people commenting praise on social media to boost Sali in the algorithms or the Grauniad are just fine. However as soon as it isn't praise that's an issue as people aren't spending their time saying something that Sali approves of.

It's gaslighting to paint everyone here as trolls in a dungeon with nothing going on in their life. When in fact like all social media people are here when they have a few minutes free in life and see through influencers. It's like reality TV on steroids with social media influencers.

The "reformed troll" is probably true, although no doubt someone that just posted a handful of times. Every time an influencer does a highly emotional post a couple do leave. After all that's their job to influence and dare I say it take advantage of people that want to see the good in others.

Of course they only reached out to the one "troll" that fit the agenda and narrative to validate everything Sali says. This echo chamber doesn't benefit anyone, Sali included.

Reactions: 13
I don’t follow Sali or this thread but just saw the BBC article. What an absolute load of crap. This site is not dedicated to trashing people’s lives. It’s an outlet for criticism and feedback that is otherwise blocked and censored by instagrammers deleting comments and portraying a perfect life whilst making endless £££. I feel so irritated by it. And no way is “Becky” a real person who would say that they joined in because they’re projecting their own unhappiness. Absolutely bull tit

Reactions: 17
I don’t normally post on these threads but I read her article and had some thoughts.

The irony is Sali has claimed this site is full of lies and misrepresentations, all while her article is full of misrepresentations of what is said here.

She’s trying to create a narrative about this site that simply isn’t true, and is using her mainstream media platform to facilitate that.

You just have to look at some of the responses under her tweets on the matter to see that many are taking what she has written / said at face value, and think this is a “vile place”.

I remember seeing a tweet after her video last year that said something like “imagine finding out a friend or colleague posted on that site”, and it really made me think about the way this site is portrayed in the mainstream and how it should almost be a dirty secret to post here - I think that’s a shame.

Reactions: 19
I don’t normally post on these threads but I read her article and had some thoughts.

The irony is Sali has claimed this site is full of lies and misrepresentations, all while her article is full of misrepresentations of what is said here.

She’s trying to create a narrative about this site that simply isn’t true, and is using her mainstream media platform to facilitate that.

You just have to look at some of the responses under her tweets on the matter to see that many are taking what she has written / said at face value, and think this is a “vile place”.

I remember seeing a tweet after her video last year that said something like “imagine finding out a friend or colleague posted on that site”, and it really made me think about the way this site is portrayed in the mainstream and how it should almost be a dirty secret to post here - I think that’s a shame.
If it was what she claims it is I'd never post here.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I don't follow Sali or this thread either (though her insta video was what brought me to tattle in the first place), but I can believe 'Becky' said all that - it's quite normal when you're sitting in front of someone to say what you think they want to hear, especially if you're being asked leading questions. It really is a proper failure of journalism that fact checking seems to have gone out the window and depending on your follower size you can write pretty much what you want to write, regardless of its basis in reality, and it will get reported as truth.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.