Sali Hughes #21 A Sali by any other name would smell as sweet with pretty bitter topnotes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We raised eyebrows at her big March meal out and at her Greek holiday. Not even slightly sorry about it. She should have stayed at home.

Reactions: 18

Yel

That may be the case, but I'm fairly confident in saying none of that exists on her own threads or directed towards her. Again, it's all in the wording.
If indeed there are messages that are a hate crime they should report them and we'd delete them. It's very likely that with over 2 million posts here there are some that cross the line , just like how there is on every user generated site.

Re harassment and stalking it would be good to hear some examples from this expert rather than just they gave the answer the people commissioning them wanted. The whole premise of social media is "following" people which itself sounds sinister.

I'm baffled she thinks that gossip forums on public figures are a new thing, this whole site was born from another forum that's been around for over a decade.

The new laws touted are to protect individuals, when these people turn their life into a buisness do they still want to be seen as a private individual? Influencers always want to have their cake and eat it.

Reactions: 23
As Yel says, people are becoming aware of the 'tricks' of the influencer trade and that can only be a good thing. Part of the reason I am here is because at the university I work at, many students choose to study different aspects of social media. Recently that has increasingly focused on the role of the influencer as a trusted friend online, and the many problems that entails.

As I am old(er) many of the people my students mention were unfamiliar to me, however Sali is someone I knew of and could relate to (like many here I've read her column for years, bought her books). It's the psychology of it all I find fascinating. I am not a hater, I just feel manipulated, and I welcome a space to share that experience with others. These threads are honest, funny, interesting, diverse and inclusive - everything a good beauty column should be.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I find it interesting that she dislikes sites like this, where the content stays here, and yet doesn’t mention twitter where content is directed at the individual directly.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Does calling people "mental" etc count as hate speech I wonder. Asking for someone whose long term mental health condition is classed as a disability as defined in the Equality Act 2010.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
No mention of previous sustained Twitter bullying campaigns of Dawn O'Porter or Lauren Luke. Pile ons of Esther Walker and others. Incredible how the 6th form nasty girl can turn on the innocent victim stance like this. If I read this article blind I would also be outraged for her (and deeply curious to read the threads).

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Does calling people "mental" etc count as hate speech I wonder. Asking for someone whose long term mental health condition is classed as a disability as defined in the Equality Act 2010. What about stating that individuals who have openly discussed their mental health conditions aren't mentally ill - is that gaslighting perhaps?

(Haven't read the article.)

(Not sure how I managed to post that twice. Was trying to edit original post.)

Reactions: 4

Yel

No mention of previous sustained Twitter bullying campaigns of Dawn O'Porter or Lauren Luke. Pile ons of Esther Walker and others. Incredible how the 6th form nasty girl can turn on the innocent victim stance like this. If I read this article blind I would also be outraged for her (and deeply curious to read the threads).
Nore any mention of joking with her friend about sending someone facing paedophilia charges (who we know is now convicted) round to our homes. Funny that.

I think she's doing herself more damage by saying misleading half truths. Tattle is such a problem for them because it's got a strict set of rules and isn't anything like the 4chan dark Web site they like to portray.

For anyone new check out the most liked comments across all of the Sali Hughes threads (might take a few seconds to load) to get a real idea of the site

https://tattle.life/tags/sali-hughes/most-liked

And the wiki

https://tattle.life/wiki/sali-hughes/

Reactions: 25
Clearly didn’t do her research on Kate.
after police had arrived at her front door in response, she alleges, to fabricated reports that she had broken lockdown rules.

how does she know who called the police.
The day after a live video streamed from her house with another person allegedly in her work bubble allegedly in a Covid secure way but we’re not wearing any PPE or social distancing yet in the video say that they are sorry if they broke any rules 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 5
Nore any mention of joking with her friend about sending someone facing paedophilia charges (who we know is now convicted) round to our homes. Funny that.

I think she's doing herself more damage by saying misleading half truths. Tattle is such a problem for them because it's got a strict set of rules and isn't anything like the 4chan dark Web site they like to portray.

For anyone new check out the most liked comments across all of the Sali Hughes threads (might take a few seconds to load) to get a real idea of the site

Those first few posts are fantastic! So intelligent and insightful. I didn't know about the bullying and cronyism that had gone on her own GTL website, it sounds like CH facebook page, a bit fanatical.

Reactions: 3
She can talk all she likes. Anyone who is inquisitive enough to see for themselves, will pop over and realise it’s all bollocks. I did that after Cry-Me-a-River Friday expecting to find horror and instead found intelligent, eloquent and entertaining little community of people who simply want to have an honest conversation. I feel sorry for her if that is all she can come up with to drum up more popularity. Maybe she is hoping for another 10k followers. Score!

• Heart
Reactions: 26

And the wiki

https://tattle.life/wiki/sali-hughes/
Also convicted of the assault of two 14 year old children. And beat up people in the MP’s bar in Parliament. A thoroughly nasty piece of work.

Reactions: 9
The thing that has me posting / reading here is the discussion about influencer practices - there are very few places you can talk about it. The personal comments about looks etc I try to avoid. The Frugality thread has gone that way.

The ‘if you don’t like then don’t follow / scroll on by’ suggestion works both ways too, surely. The bit about ‘do it in WhatsApp’ makes no sense. If you’re a new mum, sat at home, reading influencer stuff without realising how much is about selling and feeling like you can’t keep up / getting into debt and depression buying beauty boxes then who exactly are you supposed to WhatsApp? Half the time you don’t fully realise what you’re getting into until you see it discussed in places like this.

On Twitter it’s a lot of people just saying a lot of nice things to her, so that must be validating at least?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
It’s a shame nobody offers the so-called trolls a right of reply. On twitter you’d be massacred by the blue tick brigade, comments are of course not available on the Graun, and nobody is giving us £s per word to respond, not even if we could show we aren’t actually trolls, and trolling is not saying something about someone that they personally find unpalatable. Do influencers not realise the rest of us mere mortals who go out to work often endure people telling us what they think of us to our faces? And it’s often much less politely put!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I’m just confused. This thread, more than many on Tattle, is supportive and also an interesting commentary on influencer culture (which I find really interesting). Barely any criticism of Sali and where there is it often gets challenged. Is it just the fact she hates getting called on anything? Has that not happened to her before? God knows it has to me, and by people who don’t know me and are going off presumptions and here say. But we just get on with our lives don’t we??

Reactions: 23
In my job they ask a load a people to give you feedback and then you have to take it calmly and respond about where you need to improve. I think I might need to be an influencer instead and give myself the choice. I could do with a lot of people telling her how great I am and the chance to ignore the stuff I’d rather not hear.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
It’s a shame nobody offers the so-called trolls a right of reply. On twitter you’d be massacred by the blue tick brigade, comments are of course not available on the Graun, and nobody is giving us £s per word to respond, not even if we could show we aren’t actually trolls, and trolling is not saying something about someone that they personally find unpalatable. Do influencers not realise the rest of us mere mortals who go out to work often endure people telling us what they think of us to our faces? And it’s often much less politely put!
Completely agree if it’s there job and are selling to us either as they see themselves as a brand or if they sell products #AD #gifted then as a customer, client stakeholder I should be able to comment if I don’t agree.

many influencers only seem to want positive blowing smoke up there arse comments even if something there doing is wrong, dangerous or false people resort to gossip sites as if you dare to challenge or Comment even if it’s a genuine comment you get blocked or your message gets reshared to increase engagement even more.

there needs to be more regulation as it’s the Wild West at the moment

Reactions: 6
Someone did contact admin, we were discussing it in the mods forum last week. I think they made it pretty clear was their objective was (no it won't be balanced) and all the mods agreed the standard media copy and paste with tattle's rules and policies was all it deserved.

It was asking for a response for statements from "experts" that said the site has messages that are a hate crime, harassment and cause emotional distress.

Along with the good old fantasist stuff; influencers say that:
  • Moderators create accounts when threads go quiet to revive them (bullshit from ptwm the Paypal scammer, as if we need to :LOL: )
  • Admin claims that messages are never deleted (that never happened, of course things are deleted on a moderated forum 🤦‍♀️)
  • Messages of support are deleted (see my post on the previous page for examples, people trolling / disrupting are deleted as they would be on any forum).

If I had to make a prediction I think they'll talk to a psychologist who'll say people here don't have much social interaction in real life and instead post vitriol here to vent their frustration in real life to get a dopamine hit on an anonymous forum :rolleyes: . Then talk to a legal "expert" who'll talk about the new online harm that acts to protect people from "trolls". Then if they're being really really distasteful they'll interview the parents of a teenager that tragically ended their own life through abuse sent, even though that's nothing to do with commentary on public figures that choose to pursue a business that involves oversharing their private life.

It's a shame as there are so many interesting things to explore around influencer culture. But I highly doubt this will cover it and instead amalgamate people discussing a public figure who publically overshares their life to hundreds of thousands with a teenager being harassed and sent abuse.

If radio 4 and their huge budget can't do something well researched and balanced who will?

Influencers really don't realise how much they've benefited from the lack of regulation. They're the first to call for more rules but are blissfully unaware that more rules and regulation are more likely to disadvantage them.

Gossip on public figures has been a thing before paper was invented. If someone turns their private life into a commodity to make money they can't expect to only have praise. "what people think of me is none of my business" and "don't read the comments" springs to mind.

You'd be surprised the number of people that think they can just request for a tattle thread about them to be deleted, there's a real lack of understanding that once you become a public figure you can no longer control the narrative. Tattle's law seeks to address this by educating people on the downsides of fame and creating a professional influencer agency to make influencers accountable for when they break the rules - https://limegoss.com/tattles-law/

It would be an interesting conversation on the moral maze - how do you weigh up peoples freedom of speech to discuss a business when that business is a social media influencer who sells their private life and is effectively turning this so called private life into a commodity? Hopfully the real conversations about this world will start to be had soon.

Edit: Ha my post is already out of date

How many times is Sali going to talk about "My child’s teacher read how I would sell my kids for money." It was one post that was clearly figure of speach 🤦‍♀️

And Katie heyes is a known liar always making up stuff for attention. Last week she made up that her phone number and address has been posted here.

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm disappointed at the BBC's lack of integrity and professionalism.

I was hoping that researchers might have found our wiki and been enlightened.

Reactions: 17

Yel

The bit about ‘do it in WhatsApp’ makes no sense. If you’re a new mum, sat at home, reading influencer stuff without realising how much is about selling and feeling like you can’t keep up / getting into debt and depression buying beauty boxes then who exactly are you supposed to WhatsApp? Half the time you don’t fully realise what you’re getting into until you see it discussed in places like this.
So they want to broadcast their fabulous lives full of gifts and sell to us little people (not leprechauns) all very publicly but wish for any critique to be done in private 🤨

I think a gotcha moment in this documentary will be a solicitor (that they've paid to give a view to fit the narrative) say that this site *might be* harassment as Sali knows about it. However another solicitor could equally say that's a load of rubbish as these people live their life courting publicity and it's inevitable people will have opinions.

Change the dragging website to accountability website and it takes on a very different meaning. Out of all of the public figures on social media, only a handful have as many threads as Sali because it's not people "attacking" someone for no reason. These few accounts are the ones that are pretty shady online.

Heaven help these people if they lived in the real world and had to have an annual review.

The laws that need to be introduced are to protect people from the insidious nature of these influencers. Deep down they probably know they're in the wrong, but have gone down the path for so long they've no choice but to double down and blame the critics.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.