Sali Hughes #18 No valid criticism, just endless speculation about her height and glasses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When did Sali say that?
I'm sketchy on the exact details but I do remember her saying across her social channels that she hates exercise and would choose the couch any day. But then I also remember seeing an article in the Pool or Red or somewhere about going to the gym. She even had her own personalised trainers from being involved in marathons.

I needed a skincare godmother as a teenager, imagine having someone like angie to help you thru!

The hushing over the effort involved I feel is pretty antifeminist. The (faux) nonchalance of the cliched Parisian woman is revered, but the obvious effort of women glamming up in working class regions is looked down upon.
Saying you "Woke up like this" when you wouldn't wake up like that if you were in a desert island is bs
It's totally anti feminist and what I find baffling about it is that Sali herself would often criticise celebrities for doing the same.

A reader might follow her recommendations, hot cloth cleanse, buy products she spoke about and then wonder "I'm doing everything she said, why does my skin not look as good". Obviously they're not aware of the full picture, the injectables, the derm facials, all of that. Whereas no one will look at Angie and feel inadequate. They will know that she puts so much effort in. It's disheartening for the women Sali is claiming to help when she pretends it's all effortless

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
The hushing over the effort involved I feel is pretty antifeminist. The (faux) nonchalance of the cliched Parisian woman is revered, but the obvious effort of women glamming up in working class regions is looked down upon.
This gives me acute eye roll. And you know there's a whole procedure just for bangs that rivals Poirot's mustache regimen.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Not bad for a bunch of beefy trolls!
The thing is that among us, there will be things that society sees as less desirable, like thinning hair, but it shouldn't be used against us to characterise us as 'beef faced incels'. These are real vulnerabilities, which aren't people's fault and shouldn't make them less valuable. These things are also doubtless more common than most people imagine and benefit from being talked about, which help us feel less alone and allow us to share tips like people have done here.

There should be a proper, well-researched column on hair thinning/loss!!! That would be the real stuff guys!

These various insecurities we have (which I daresay are well represented among the general population) may also explain why we have been more susceptible to (Sali's) influence. It is cruel to use this against us; not that I would expect any better from India.

[I typed out a couple of paragraphs about my own hair story, which includes worries about thinning/patchiness partially related to pulling my hair out, but I will say for now that earlier this year I shaved my head, I love it and it looks great! I can expand if this is of genuine interest]

• Heart
Reactions: 19
The thing is that among us, there will be things that society sees as less desirable, like thinning hair, but it shouldn't be used against us to characterise us as 'beef faced incels'. These are real vulnerabilities, which aren't people's fault and shouldn't make them less valuable. These things are also doubtless more common than most people imagine and benefit from being talked about, which help us feel less alone and allow us to share tips like people have done here.

There should be a proper, well-researched column on hair thinning/loss!!! That would be the real stuff guys!

These various insecurities we have (which I daresay are well represented among the general population) may also explain why we have been more susceptible to (Sali's) influence. It is cruel to use this against us; not that I would expect any better from India.

[I typed out a couple of paragraphs about my own hair story, which includes worries about thinning/patchiness partially related to pulling my hair out, but I will say for now that earlier this year I shaved my head, I love it and it looks great! I can expand if this is of genuine interest]
Please do. I feel so upended by my hair loss. Soon am going to have to consider helper hair and it just isn't talked about.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Always love reading about people’s experiences and how they’re coping, @Too Much. So much more interesting than endless buy this - get that - can’t live without guff.

I mean the guff that’s passed of as journalism. Love the product talk on here! 😍

Reactions: 2
Thanks guys; that feels good!

I will write something one day soon (currently too tired).

Reactions: 3
I wonder what people’s first Sali influencer product bought? I think mine was the Dior primer - and the foundation balm thing - which was totally the wrong colour for me. Lately, don’t shoot me - the soap and glory sugar body lotion. It’s ok - nice enough.
I’m guilty of overusing a hyphen.

Reactions: 4
I thought the Soap & Glory body lotion was ok. The real standout from that range is the foot cream. Best I’ve ever tried and one of my very few re-purchases of anything.

The balm foundation didn’t come in a light enough colour for me and I’m not usually the lightest shade in foundation (maybe 2nd lightest).

Reactions: 1
I hate Soap and Glory products but I like the lime crush stuff. Got it on offer and I still have it a year later

My first Sali-influenced purchase was the Clarisonic, which I genuinely love. I think it’s brilliant and it has helped keep my skin clear and even-toned. I also bought a replacement straight away when the first one died. I appreciate it’s not for everyone but i definitely notice a difference when I don’t use it and am genuinely gutted that it’s been discontinued.

I had heard numerous rave reviews but it wasn’t until I read Sali’s in the Guardian that I went out and bought one. I am extremely cross that she is now trying to rewrite history by saying she doesn’t like it when I distinctly recall her saying on GTL that she did. Lying cow. Kudos to @Mselvista for the screenshot!

Reactions: 13
I think my first Sali purchase was Philosykos. I still like it but don't wear it that often

Funnily enough, I remember the duds more: the Vichy serum that left my skin all flaky, the Ren beauty shot eye lift thingy. Will add more if I remember

I wonder what people’s first Sali influencer product bought? I think mine was the Dior primer - and the foundation balm thing - which was totally the wrong colour for me. Lately, don’t shoot me - the soap and glory sugar body lotion. It’s ok - nice enough.
what’s the foundation balm?

I tried the Dior primer when she was wailing about it being discontinued. It did naff all for me. Thankfully someone on the forum helpfully recommended mixing it with foundation which helped me get rid of it.

Does anyone remember Sali using the Bobbi Brown finishing powder as a base for her blusher. And to think she calls herself a makeup expert.

The recommendations I found the most helpful were those from fellow forum members. Effaclar Duo and the Ren Clear Calm moisturiser? Brilliant.

My first sali purchase was a ysl eyeliner and a red lipstick from Lancôme. Limited edition and to be fair it’s lovely. So lovely though that I don’t want to use it. Not sure what I’m keeping it for even nearly 10 years later _ sure the popes not popping round soon.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
My first Sali purchases were 1. Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, glowy version. Was sparkly and emphasised pores. Also, I chose one shade darker than Sali because I’m fair but but no means very pale - turned out too dark and too orange. 2. EL tubing mascara. Excellent. Have been using a tubing one ever since, nothing else works with my oily lids.

For me it was Aromatherapy Associates cleansing balm and some flannels. It was very good, and completely changed how I wash my face. (Looking back though she must have had an agreement with them because the balm was on special offer at exactly the time I was looking to buy it. These things were much less overt then, and I thought I’d struck lucky 🙄.)

Yes I agree. It is wierd. Add to that doing your hair with a Babyliss and 😱
At a stretch I could possibly do it (lips and eyeliner) if pushed - but to make a thing of it? I think I'd either not wear makeup or do it at home.
I thought when Sali said she always does her makeup on the train it was probably eyes and lips, but base, concealer etc? I simply don't get it when you are surrounded by vast amounts of products at home. And no danger of losing those pesky brushes.
Plus it's not like she has an actual job that she has to rush to in peak hour. It's appointments, so she could just do it at home, at her leisure. Maybe it's because I'm an introvert and hate being the centre of attention, but it just seems really exhibitionist to me

Reactions: 7
I love a hyphen too.

Also a double hyphen - and a double comma - which are subversive brackets :ROFLMAO:

Edited to add: Omg 'I love a hyphen' - I sound like Sali!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
My chin area has started looking like Gordon Ramsay's and it's worse since lockdown. I think I must make anxious expressions in my sleep.
omg same. I tried to replicate the expression that it must take to form these lines, and it's like the anguished emoji

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I've just started following does my bum look 40 on Instagram and can I say that I find her tagging of brands as to what is and isn't an #ad refreshing when compared to Our Sal? No passive aggressive bullshit. Just it is or it isn't.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.