Sali Hughes #18 No valid criticism, just endless speculation about her height and glasses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was told by a beautician I have a very "chiselled" jawline so I'm going to take it that the Nuface works for me! (Not to blow my own trumpet)

It's one of those things that if I lost or broke it, I'd dip into my savings and buy it again
Maybe I should have invested in the big one, with the attachments. That said, I gave the mini another try and the skin on my jawline is hard to grab now so 🤷‍♀️

I don't need a mirror so I use it while watching something on screen. I also use it in the bath (also while watching something on screen - v low boredom threshold).
Haha, glad I am not the only one. I take my laptop into the bathroom. I am now going to follow your lead and try it without the mirror in the living room. I already basically have a small pharmacy on my side table, so why not?

Another observation from lockdown: I've totally left my eyebrows alone. I've forbidden tweezers anywhere near them. And guess what? I have regrowth. What I thought was permanent hair loss from an over-zealous reshaping by an early naughts self-professed "brow queen" turns out to not have been. My browns are thickening up. I'm also using TO's Multi-peptide Serum on them. I don't know if that's helping

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I've just started following does my bum look 40 on Instagram and can I say that I find her tagging of brands as to what is and isn't an #ad refreshing when compared to Our Sal? No passive aggressive bullshit. Just it is or it isn't.
She has her own thread here in case you’re interested. I CANNOT with her though.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I think my first Sali purchase was . I still like it but don't wear it that often

Funnily enough, I remember the duds more: the Vichy serum that left my skin all flaky, the Ren beauty shot eye lift thingy. Will add more if I remember
Mine was Philosykos too. I went through the whole bottle, but didn't replace

Reactions: 1
what’s the foundation balm?

I tried the Dior primer when she was wailing about it being discontinued. It did naff all for me. Thankfully someone on the forum helpfully recommended mixing it with foundation which helped me get rid of it.

Does anyone remember Sali using the Bobbi Brown finishing powder as a base for her blusher. And to think she calls herself a makeup expert.

The recommendations I found the most helpful were those from fellow forum members. Effaclar Duo and the Ren Clear Calm moisturiser? Brilliant.
Apologies, it was the Givenchy Teint Couture Balm.

Oh, I think I need a NuFace. Do I really? I trust the opinions of you lot. And so far all in favour. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Heart
I think my first Sali purchase was Philosykos. I still like it but don't wear it that often

Funnily enough, I remember the duds more: the Vichy serum that left my skin all flaky, the Ren beauty shot eye lift thingy. Will add more if I remember
Oh, wow! I bought that Ren eye rubbish on her recommendation. Completely forgot about that. It was absolutely terrible!

Reactions: 2
I've just started following does my bum look 40 on Instagram and can I say that I find her tagging of brands as to what is and isn't an #ad refreshing when compared to Our Sal? No passive aggressive bullshit. Just it is or it isn't.
She’s been pretty good with that, she’s one of the few that doesn’t seem to take feedback too personally and so not so much drama about pesky rules. Or maybe she just whinges offline which is also fine.

I still feel embarrassed for influencers that publically complain about ASA rules, or customer feedback or unacceptable offers from brands. It shows them up so badly 🙀

I think my first Sali purchase was Philosykos. I still like it but don't wear it that often

I remember the Ren eye cream! Luckily I got a free sample from Mecca first and thank god I did because it was completely crap. It creped up and peeled off straight away, didn’t absorb at all. Would have been shocking under make up.

Another ren eye cream disaster here!
Also didnt like the nars illuminating primer, babyliss big hair or the Phillip's mini electric razor

Does anyone know a shop that still takes cosmetic plastic recycling? (John Lewis and bodyshop arent due to covid and the council have kinda given up on my estate)

Last edited:
I mentioned here before that the first time I noticed SH was her column about wash-off tans. Over time I bought three of her six recommendations and none was as good as the one I'd been using before I read her column. That should have been a warning.

Worst thing I fell victim to was a YSL mattifying/pore minimising balm in a rectangular compact. She did a strange, over-excited, video about it and a couple of other 'game-changing' products. The whole concept was flawed - the balm itself was nothing special and because you applied it over make-up the sponge applicator became grubby after the first use, and being rectangular you couldn't replace it with another one. So although it was designed - I imagine - to be an elegant way to mattify your face during the day it was just an expensive disappointment.

Good SH recommendations? The Aromatherapy Associates hot cloth cleanser mentioned above was lovely and I re-purchased it. Looking around at my current skincare and make-up, only thing that was an SH recommendation is a Becca bronzer, which I've used a lot.

I think my first Sali-influenced purchase was those foul, sticky Revlon Lip Butters. The Facebook group lost their collective mind over them. A form of group madness regularly broke out over certain products, but just as likely started by another member’s rec as SH’s.

16259F9F-6784-462A-9DBE-A39018B7B6C8.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 7
@Aude , I also bought that YSL balm after her review of it! My experience was exactly as you describe, in that the balm became grubby very quickly, and the act of applying it lifted off any makeup underneath.

I also fell for the Revlon lip butter hype, and so many other things besides.

Reactions: 2
I think the Ren Eye Lift column is a really good example of Sali selling out. It was quite a departure from usual: a one-product gushing advertorial (#NOTANAD). Includes the Sali promotional tells of minor quibbles and dismissing the company blurb while very heavily promoting a product. (Bonus reminiscences about Sal’s days as a jobbing MUA. Guest appearance from Anusol.)

I remember bewilderment on her forum as people found it utterly meh or worse.

Despite deep research I can’t see that she ever mentioned it again. This comment on Mumsnet hits the nail on the head:

ED2D8B05-0B79-4EC5-81AF-E46D5E084639.jpeg

Plus Ren got involved in the BTL comments, very unusual:

504F86FE-5736-4B12-BC93-68C6D0728214.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Omg the lip butters. I fell for that too and got about three of them. Raspberry something???
They were useless weren't they? Just sort of greasy.
I remember people would alert each other over which Boots had which colours - then cue the endless selfies for the 'omg you are so beautiful - goals :love:' posts.
I hated all the selfies. I'm sure some were to give posters confidence but a lot was just showing off and fishing. And of course some of the more popular and prominent posters got the most gushing replies.

• Sick
Reactions: 8
I think the Ren Eye Lift column is a really good example of Sali selling out. It was quite a departure from usual: a one-product gushing advertorial (#NOTANAD). Includes the Sali promotional tells of minor quibbles and dismissing the company blurb while very heavily promoting a product. (Bonus reminiscences about Sal’s days as a jobbing MUA. Guest appearance from Anusol.)

I remember bewilderment on her forum as people found it utterly meh or worse.

Despite deep research I can’t see that she ever mentioned it again. This comment on Mumsnet hits the nail on the head:

View attachment 185292

Plus Ren got involved in the BTL comments, very unusual:

View attachment 185293
Wonder what she got for that? Shameless

Reactions: 6
Shameless is exactly the word. The SpaceNK reviews are not great for such a star product. The negative ones mainly say how drying it is. I find it very hard to believe that this product worked for Sali (Dryer than the Gobi) Hughes.

4F3B0903-D1CE-4B36-B09C-1A1D0412885B.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I’ve been sent products pre-launch by Space NK to review and always leave honest reviews, they leave them up. I didn’t like one of the products from one brand at all and said so.

Today’s column is quite good on the Sali Bingo front. We have overblown prose, “cheering”, hyaluronic acid and complicated subordinate clauses.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
That’s good to know FreeSquirrels

I’m trying to think what I’ve bought on Sali’s recommendation - I think the Clarisonic was one and IK recommended it too. The Bobbi Brown eye sticks - just OK. I prefer By Terry or the Chanel ones. I’ve never gone for her skincare recommendations as such but one thing that really stuck out for me was her reluctance / lack of speed to review the Pat McGrath foundation when that really was all over the place. Was there some beef there? ( :) ) . She did review it eventually...

Oh I bought the Charlotte Tilbury eye pencils- the Audrey and the flawless filter. Really good actually. Not so good was the under eye concealer - like polyfilla and make my eyes look wrinkly. The Bumble and Bumble air dry cream (just ok). I wrote a list a few threads back and can’t remember what else I put on there. Will dig it out. The Bobbi Brown eye sticks are a bit wet sometimes but the Taupe colour is pretty much perfect on me.

Facial mists for summer? groundbreaking stuff. Usual brands with ££ links.

Bottle of rosewater spray £6 on amazon surpasses any of these.

Not bought on Sali's recommendation, but I did have a couple of samples of that Ren eye lift thing and it was awful. So drying and uncomfortable to wear. I wonder if she even tried the product given how dry she claims her skin is.

I threw my samples out, wouldn't even use them up on my feet. Shame, as usually like Ren moisturisers.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.