Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Aude

VIP Member
I mentioned here before that the first time I noticed SH was her column about wash-off tans. Over time I bought three of her six recommendations and none was as good as the one I'd been using before I read her column. That should have been a warning.

Worst thing I fell victim to was a YSL mattifying/pore minimising balm in a rectangular compact. She did a strange, over-excited, video about it and a couple of other 'game-changing' products. The whole concept was flawed - the balm itself was nothing special and because you applied it over make-up the sponge applicator became grubby after the first use, and being rectangular you couldn't replace it with another one. So although it was designed - I imagine - to be an elegant way to mattify your face during the day it was just an expensive disappointment.

Good SH recommendations? The Aromatherapy Associates hot cloth cleanser mentioned above was lovely and I re-purchased it. Looking around at my current skincare and make-up, only thing that was an SH recommendation is a Becca bronzer, which I've used a lot.

Reactions: 1

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
I'd rather judge her on what she purports to be - a serious writer and "proper" journalist. Neither of which I've seen any evidence of.
Apart from a few paragraphs in the Guardian each week what does she write?
She said the other day her new book includes an old Pool column she's "repurposed" - all about sustainability is our Sal, endlessly recycling the same old opinions for publication.
spot on. Since she saddled up and leapt onto the Influencer bandwagon that part of her bio is becoming laughable. I also judge her on her very shady selling ‘technique’. Making out she is vilified over the #AD tagging is ludicrous. It’s the LAW.

CocoCottesmore

@fakebaker is it the balancing mist you use? I didnt really know this beand before and whilst I'm sure the QoH is fantastic, I'm loathe to spend that much when my skin is so sensitive. I.e I would want to know it wasn't going to massively set it off first. Not that £15 is cheap of course but you know what I mean

I saw a great Lisa Eldridge video, the buy nothing make up tutorial. A total breath of fresh air when most YT videos exist to make us dash out and buy more.

Re mists/spritzes, I love them. I have a feeling that they are 99% pointless in terms of adding anything of value to the skin but I like them when I am hot and bothered (most of the time now that it is the school holidays) and just when I feel like I want a bit of a wake up. I was in hospital for two weeks in February (and like the micellar water for cleaning my face) a mist just made me feel less awful and like I cared. So yes, I think they add something in a self care way. Have any of you used anything from Disciple London? They have a 'juicy mist' and I just love it, smells great and cheaper than Queen of Hungry (although I love Omorovicza...once had a facial at their store in Budapest, it was incredible also made the husband have one, his skin has never looked so good - before or after!).

rosemarina

VIP Member
I'm pretty resentful about how Sali / Guardian pushed those brushes. I bought the clinique version for my acne and the matching soap, and now trying to cover the broken capillaries (I'm only late twenties)
I'm ashamed to say I bought the flipping Clarisonic Aria because she recommended it, and so did my friend. I haven't used it in literally years.

• Sad

melfish

VIP Member
I used an eye cream for a bit in my 20s (lol, i know) and I got a milia. Steered clear of them since

Warrend

Not bought on Sali's recommendation, but I did have a couple of samples of that Ren eye lift thing and it was awful. So drying and uncomfortable to wear. I wonder if she even tried the product given how dry she claims her skin is.

I threw my samples out, wouldn't even use them up on my feet. Shame, as usually like Ren moisturisers.

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Foreo have brought out their own version called the bear and the bear mini. I was kind of tempted to get the bear for travelling as it's smaller and more compact but I'm not going to be travelling anywhere for the foreseeable so...

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
Even weirder.. I intially used a Dr Organic (a Holland & Barrett label) aloe vera gel which felt a bit uncomfortable. I wouldn't say 'burning' but along those lines. I now use H&B cheap own brand aloe vera gel which doesn't have that effect at all and suits me perfectly.

There are other cheap - non-aloe vera - gel alternatives on ebay and Amazon and probably from a medical supplies supplier.
I’ll try the H+B brand , cheers @Aude😀

Simplemind

Sooo helpful! I tend to get this really badly in Autumn/Winter when the heating gets switched on. Going to try this next time!
I hope it helps! I couldn’t believe the improvement. Eczema is so stubborn. I suffered as a child on the inside of my elbows. Treated with strong steroids for a long time. The skin there is now so thin and crepey I look like a right old nana 😐

Grizzlybear

VIP Member
I wanted something that wasn’t super matte but not really glossy - I tried the shiseido visionairy (sp?) gel lipsticks and I really like them. Really light, don’t bleed, don’t dry. I have 2 colours in them so far. Great pigment. They are a bit spendy though.

ETA they all look really glossy on the image searches you can do for some reason! 🙈 I found them a happy compromise as I am as dry as the gobi. If I want em glossy I pop a bit of lip oil on

Spanner

Chatty Member
Are either of these anything like Bumble and Bumble Dryspun spray? I love that stuff (the smell is also great) but can't bear spending that much on hairspray (I got some in a deal ages ago but won't be replacing it for £35).

ETA forget the Oribe, I think it's the same price! 😂

Oh wow, never heard of these but it does seem to be an amazing deal for the amount of full size products you get, if you know you want them/would actually use them. Unopened sunscreen has a decent life I think. I'm tempted for the sunscreens, liquid bronzer, natural deodorant, Inkey List serum and eyeshadow pen - which would easily exceed the cost significantly - but don't want to have excess plastic and products I won't use (namely the highlighter palette) lying around. Wish you could just ask them to send you what you want for the same price!
Yeah, they are like that. I think B&B better than Sam McKnight

melfish

VIP Member
I think my first Sali purchase was . I still like it but don't wear it that often

Funnily enough, I remember the duds more: the Vichy serum that left my skin all flaky, the Ren beauty shot eye lift thingy. Will add more if I remember
Mine was Philosykos too. I went through the whole bottle, but didn't replace