Sali Hughes #18 No valid criticism, just endless speculation about her height and glasses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another Sali recommendation I've remembered. She repeatedly stated that she always used the Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish so I decided to try it when I received a 30ml sample tube. Well, within days I had angry yellow spots all around my eyes and nose area.

Nothing else had changed with my skincare and I've always had blemish free skin so I could only put it down to the Liz Earle. I used it up to take the muck off my gardening hands.

Reactions: 1
The Guerlain balls came out in the mid-90s. When did she recommend them?
I'm not sure if there were a Sali recommendation per se but they were a forum favourite. There was blue murder on the forum when Guerlain changed the refillable compact size

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Just had a flashback how Sali claimed more than once that Clinique Moisture Surge Spray from the fridge helped her through labour! I’d completely forgotten about that. It made a deep impression on me at the time I read about it because she went on about how relatively easy childbirth was at home with the help of a competent midwife and a cold facial Spritz while I was stuck at the hospital screaming my lungs out with my second. Only a good dose of heroin would have calmed me at that point! I remember feeling weak and inadequate in comparison to cool brave Sali. Now all I feel is really stupid about the whole thing. Obviously I was a grown woman at the time, not some insecure teenager.
Just goes to show how much influence someone like Sali can have, doesn’t it?

On a completely different note: can you recommend a matte or semi matte lipstick that isn’t drying @SqualorVictoria @NotDumbBlonde?

Sorry it’s @NotDumbNotBlonde of course

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Just had a flashback how Sali claimed more than once that Clinique Moisture Surge Spray from the fridge helped her through labour! I’d completely forgotten about that. It made a deep impression on me at the time I read about it because she went on about how relatively easy childbirth was at home with the help of a competent midwife and a cold facial Spritz while I was stuck at the hospital screaming my lungs out with my second. Only a good dose of heroin would have calmed me at that point! I remember feeling weak and inadequate in comparison to cool brave Sali. Now all I feel is really stupid about the whole thing. Obviously I was a grown woman at the time, not some insecure teenager.

On a completely different note: can you recommend a matte or semi matte lipstick that isn’t drying @SqualorVictoria @NotDumbBlonde?

Oh my word. I'm so sorry that you fell for that and I understand how easily that can happen, but this really made me laugh.

I wanted something that wasn’t super matte but not really glossy - I tried the shiseido visionairy (sp?) gel lipsticks and I really like them. Really light, don’t bleed, don’t dry. I have 2 colours in them so far. Great pigment. They are a bit spendy though.

ETA they all look really glossy on the image searches you can do for some reason! 🙈 I found them a happy compromise as I am as dry as the gobi. If I want em glossy I pop a bit of lip oil on

Reactions: 1
I wanted something that wasn’t super matte but not really glossy - I tried the shiseido visionairy (sp?) gel lipsticks and I really like them. Really light, don’t bleed, don’t dry. I have 2 colours in them so far. Great pigment. They are a bit spendy though.
ETA they all look really glossy on the image searches you can do for some reason! 🙈 I found them a happy compromise as I am as dry as the gobi. If I want em glossy I pop a bit of lip oil on
That sounds perfect, thank you. I’ve been looking at them but dismissed them as another glossy lipstick and I have enough of those. I would like something more matte for a change.

Oh my word. I'm so sorry that you fell for that and I understand how easily that can happen, but this really made me laugh.
Well in retrospect it is really absurd and funny! I was a 40 year old mother of two and at the same time a total fangirl who believed every word and wanted so badly to be a bit like her. I can only roll my eyes at myself. It’s therapeutic on here because obviously I’ve never spoken about this to anyone. 🙄🙈😅

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Another Sali recommendation I've remembered. She repeatedly stated that she always used the Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish so I decided to try it when I received a 30ml sample tube. Well, within days I had angry yellow spots all around my eyes and nose area.

Nothing else had changed with my skincare and I've always had blemish free skin so I could only put it down to the Liz Earle. I used it up to take the muck off my gardening hands.
Omg Cleanse and Polish - awful for my skin. Dried it out like nobodies business.

I know Sali hates this forensic examination of her words - but I'm sure I remember her on twitter saying how much she hates gin. Yet extolling the virtues of it in her column.

Has anyone read the 'how to look good in a facemask' article? I find the concept so bloody irritating I haven't brought myself to read it yet.

Reactions: 4
I can't believe I actively hunted down remaining refills. I actually sold the compact not long after that...the compact IS pretty but far too heavy for travel.
Oh my word! The compact! It was the price of a budget weekend in Paris and mine is now sitting there in the bathroom cabinet prettily gathering dust. I never really knew what to do with it. This wins most pointless and expensive product hands down.

Attachments

Reactions: 5
That sounds perfect, thank you. I’ve been looking at them but dismissed them as another glossy lipstick and I have enough of those. I would like something more matte for a change.

I was oddly looking for a glossy one which is why I bought it 😂 as they are a gel, they are really comfy, but they are not high shine. They just are kind of dreamy? Matte or trad finish lipsticks - eg Mac twig kind of ones, always feel heavy and dusty on me, if that makes sense? Keep an eye out for a discount code, and buy a shade you’ll wear often anyway. I colour matched my everyday lippy to one so I could try the formula but would use up anyway, if that makes sense? I’ve bought a red and a darker one since. I really like them!
Eta: this is the most similar to how the finish looks on me:
1E6AA102-576F-429B-BFC4-CFD5CD08CF89.jpeg

My favourite lipsticks are Nars- I don't find their mattes drying!

I was oddly looking for a glossy one which is why I bought it 😂 as they are a gel, they are really comfy, but they are not high shine. They just are kind of dreamy? Matte or trad finish lipsticks - eg Mac twig kind of ones, always feel heavy and dusty on me, if that makes sense? Keep an eye out for a discount code, and buy a shade you’ll wear often anyway. I colour matched my everyday lippy to one so I could try the formula but would use up anyway, if that makes sense? I’ve bought a red and a darker one since. I really like them!
That makes total sense because it was the gel bit in the name that drew me to them in the first place. Will definitely investigate. Thanks again you’re great!

@SqualorVictoria I tried Nars dolce Vita in a crayon type form once and it was ok, are you referring to the actual lipstick?

Because the crayon was not something I’d actually buy

Reactions: 2
Oh my word! The compact! It was the price of a budget weekend in Paris and mine is now sitting there in the bathroom cabinet prettily gathering dust. I never really knew what to do with it. This wins most pointless and expensive product hands down.
"bUt iTs an hEiRlOom"

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I feel sad when I think about how influenced I’ve been. Not just by Sali. I’ve never really gone for expensive makeup, so that’s a relief to the bank balance.

I also found Ruby Woo to be incredibly drying. Interestingly when I got married and had my makeup trial, I said I wanted a lovely red (went for a whole vintage look, I’m a vintage queen), and she suggested Russian Red, which was excellent for me on the day and not drying at all. She also recommended ‘Mehr’ to me as a ‘my lips but better’ every day colour (although I very much don’t wear lipstick every day, but you get the idea). She was absolutely spot on with this for me personally. And thanks to having been influenced into having Glossy Boxes delivered for ages, I had all these loyalty points which I converted into a voucher somewhere and bought both lipsticks for a v. reasonable price. (I gave up on Glossy Box a long time ago and now I’ve spent the points it’s dead to me). Her advice came without any sort of affiliate links or motives. She actually wanted me to get something what would work for me. I would gladly pay her to go back for future consultations if I wanted recommendations on other products if I was looking for something new, because she would likely save me money in the long run and prevent me buying a load of duds to line someone else’s pockets.

Reactions: 9
I think those Revlon 'lip butters' were the first thing I was sucked in by. bleeping 'Candy Apple'. Greasy pointless tit :mad:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I feel sad when I think about how influenced I’ve been. Not just by Sali. I’ve never really gone for expensive makeup, so that’s a relief to the bank balance.

I also found Ruby Woo to be incredibly drying. Interestingly when I got married and had my makeup trial, I said I wanted a lovely red (went for a whole vintage look, I’m a vintage queen), and she suggested Russian Red, which was excellent for me on the day and not drying at all. She also recommended ‘Mehr’ to me as a ‘my lips but better’ every day colour (although I very much don’t wear lipstick every day, but you get the idea). She was absolutely spot on with this for me personally. And thanks to having been influenced into having Glossy Boxes delivered for ages, I had all these loyalty points which I converted into a voucher somewhere and bought both lipsticks for a v. reasonable price. (I gave up on Glossy Box a long time ago and now I’ve spent the points it’s dead to me). Her advice came without any sort of affiliate links or motives. She actually wanted me to get something what would work for me. I would gladly pay her to go back for future consultations if I wanted recommendations on other products if I was looking for something new, because she would likely save me money in the long run and prevent me buying a load of duds to line someone else’s pockets.
Russian Red and Mehr are staples of mine xx

That makes total sense because it was the gel bit in the name that drew me to them in the first place. Will definitely investigate. Thanks again you’re great!

@SqualorVictoria I tried Nars dolce Vita in a crayon type form once and it was ok, are you referring to the actual lipstick?

Because the crayon was not something I’d actually buy
The crayon doesn't last and I don't like the Dolce Vita lipstick, it's too glossy and pale. I love Jungle Red

Oh yes, I remember that! It went wild!
Remember #boycottguerlain ? Embarrassing when you think about it

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.