Sali Hughes #16 The sell-out who couldn't sell out, and that is a legal fact.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes that seems to be the massive loophole.
It’s all so clever and nuanced these days. I remember well when an AD was an AD - just a page in a magazine, for example, and clearly labelled.

I think we need full disclosure, full transparency otherwise it’s a manipulation and you are not acting in the best interests of your audience who are being persuaded to spend their money on products because they trust the opinion of that Influencer.

Restaurant and Film critics will give from 1 to 5 stars but beauty Influencers only give the equivalent of 4 or 5 star reviews.

Reactions: 8
It’s all so clever and nuanced these days. I remember well when an AD was an AD - just a page in a magazine, for example, and clearly labelled.

I think we need full disclosure, full transparency otherwise it’s a manipulation and you are not acting in the best interests of your audience who are being persuaded to spend their money on products because they trust the opinion of that Influencer.

Restaurant and Film critics will give from 1 to 5 stars but beauty Influencers only give the equivalent of 4 or 5 star reviews.
It drives me demented when Sali compares herself to a film critic. Film and restaurant critics are critical, as per their name. Imagine Mark Kermode saying he doesn't think it's a good use of his time writing about a bad movie and him being worried about upsetting a director. Ditto with food critics. And restaurant/ film critics don't feed into women's insecurities, e.g buy this concealer or skin insurance and you'll have skin like mine, let's just not mention the ring light or botox

Reactions: 11
Film critics don’t also tout for business, or pitch for exclusive access to films so that they are the only ones who get to write about them.

Reactions: 5
Film critics don’t also tout for business, or pitch for exclusive access to films so that they are the only ones who get to write about them.
Exactly and they don't write weekly columns on all the new film paraphernalia you need to buy. The comparison is ludicrous

Reactions: 5
Sali needs to dispense with the idea she is a critic of any sort - she is a non critical cheerleader for products. Absolutely no harm in that - but as has been said to pretend she is akin to a film or restaurant critic is nonsense.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
See I do understand her finding this irritating. But the best solution would surely be to ignore? Or to go full blown with her irritation ala this Nigel Slater classic Tweet.
Or just recommend any of the brands who are paying her?

" Hi XXXX, any sunscreens by [insert brands] are great! Love Sali xxx #thisisnotanad,paidfor,orrewuiredalthoughIhaveworkedwithallthesebrandsincommercialpartnershipsoverthelasttwelvemonths"

• Haha
See I do understand her finding this irritating. But the best solution would surely be to ignore? Or to go full blown with her irritation ala this Nigel Slater classic Tweet.
Helena is taking the piss with that request. But I do think influencers should quell their irritation. There's a way of responding politely. All of us in non influencer jobs who deal with annoying client requests/ questions have to do it

Reactions: 14
That’s amazing. Just how rude do you have to be to casually ask someone you’ve never met to “draw up an itinerary” for you so you can think about researching it? Holy duck, that’s breathtaking.

• Heart
Helena is taking the piss with that request. But I do think influencers should quell their irritation. There's a way of responding politely. All of us in non influencer jobs who deal with annoying client requests/ questions have to do it
Oh God there's absolutely a nice way of dealing with it. I do imagine it's tedious and she could just ignore or soften what she says. Sali's sniping is a weird position to take as she's being rude to her followers, damaging her brand as an approachable guru type figure, and not helping anyone.

Reactions: 4
In other words, "click clickety click, witch, and keep me and my column relevant".
Maybe the snippy tone is her main tool to keep up her cool girl persona and the illusion of being busy with other, far more glamorous and important journalist type pursuits. Her instagram and column would lose even more relevance if her followers thought she was at home in her pyjamas, firing off her signature snippies instead of dressing up for Leonard and being treated to photoshoots by Chanel.

The worst thing is when someone asks a perfectly reasonable question, phrases it very politely, is brushed off with "Retinol and acid" as an answer and finally apologises via a post twice as long as the original request. 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Come on @Disillusioned —2016? That is deep research alright
You got me there, truly deep research was required to find any mention of Korean skincare in her back catalogue.

Oh, apart from apparently Beauty Pie make some products in South Korea. And this paragraph from 2017, which is worth it for the title alone:

74F66508-28AE-4307-8574-F3ED9C19E6AB.jpeg

5D92B521-5157-4C1C-BC24-ADD5283CFF49.jpeg

25949FF5-EAFA-474C-96E5-C22A340A65D3.jpeg

Remember, skidders: “Women deserve the facts”!!

Disclaimer: My deep research consists of 2 mins googling. I may have missed SH raving about Korean skincare and AHC in particular.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
She has often been disparaging of Korean beauty, I think. I'm sure I've heard or read her dismiss it as gimmicky and outlandish.

Reactions: 4
Yes, @Mselvista - Caroline Hirons too. Both seemed to take a stance at the time of the flurry. With hindsight it may have been informed by a lack of paying gigs...

Reactions: 7
Yes, @Mselvista - Caroline Hirons too. Both seemed to take a stance at the time of the flurry. With hindsight it may have been informed by a lack of paying gigs...
And being threatened by the popularity of Korean "gurus"

"Don't listen to those k beauty gurus peddling gimmicky products, here's some overpriced foul smelling Sunday Riley oils instead, just ignore the fake reviews, everyone does it"

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.