Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

GTL Old-Timer

VIP Member
Hi everyone!

Soz for the prolonged silence and absence but my wife and I have been REALLY struggling since the birth of our THREE 🤦🏼‍♀️ babies (thank you, IVF!!!).

I have been thinking of you all muchly and hope you are keeping as safe as possible.

I popped in today to see what you all had to say about her ladyship’s bullshit re BLM. I have been shocked by her tweet and subsequent replies which have been posted here. She’s such an arrogant, deceitful piece of shit. Your rightful indignation has definitely helped lift my spirits. So thank you for that. 🙏🏻

You see, like @melfish, I too have been feeling extremely low with how people are responding to protests here and in the US. I realise that as a white Jewish woman I do benefit from tremendous white privilege, but my darling African American wife has been pretty devastated and emotionally drained over the last week. For her, this abuse of black people is never ending - and she’s right. And our children are biracial. I am terrified about helping them find their feet and navigate their way through an incredibly unjust and racist society given that I have so very little experience of it myself. Seeing Sali and her crew disingenuously jump on the BLM bandwagon is incredibly distressing and enraging for me as a white woman. Imagine how black men and women must be feeling.

Anyway, I am sending you all lots of love and hope to come back sometime soon. I have MISSED this place!

In the meantime, I thought you might like to take a look at this four-part blog post regarding racism in the British Beauty industry. Both Caroline Hirons and Sali have been name checked in it. Maybe Sali’s henchwoman (hi Lauren!!) would care to feed this back to her?!

• Heart
Reactions: 45

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
I’m thinking of designing some slogans to sell for hundreds of pounds a pop. What do you think?

A pair of candles. On one: ‘I paid for this’ On the other: ‘This one was a press treatment’

And then on the back of one: ‘Epstein is Everything’ and on the back of the other: ‘Saville is Saviour’

I’m thinking charge £120 per candle otherwise I won’t be taken seriously. But for influencers I would send them the press treatment one packaged really nicely and I’d include a little poem about how beautiful they are and I’d personalise it and say that I’m in the process of designing a line of sweaters and I’d like to include their name in the slogans but I won’t be able to do so until they’ve bought the second candle in the pair.

And then in a cruel twist, when I release the promised slogan sweater it won’t be all that flattering. It’ll be something like: please see my Instagram for my QVC audition.

Ok please be honest guys. I’m really putting myself out there but seeing Bella Freud proudly displaying several items of her own very offensive and also extremely shit work has made me feel I have a lot to offer the beauty and fashion industry. And also the art world in many ways because let’s face it, I’ve just pitched something which transcends the mediums I’ve described

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41

Wolf359

Chatty Member
I don't have much sympathy for cops or their enables 🤷‍♀️
That’s such a weird thing to say. Why do you assume his wife was an enabler? Do you think he took his ‘violent, murdering, bastard’ hat off, along with his badge and gun when he got home? That she handed him a whisky and cosied up with him on the sofa to watch a minstrel show?
Or, more likely, do you think he probably beat the shit out of her too?
On average it takes seven attempts for a woman to leave an abusive relationship. Almost 70% of domestic violence homicides occur at the point of separation - when the woman tries to leave and her abuser senses he’s losing control. Often women stay years in an abusive relationship because they know - either consciously or sub consciously - that them staying is the only reason they’re alive. When that cop was arrested and charged, she saw her opportunity and took it.
Men like the cop who killed George Floyd are not nice husbands or partners. With incidences like this (and the mass shootings in the US too), the perpetrators always have a long history of domestic violence.
Sorry to derail the thread. I won’t say any more about it here. But I do want to take every opportunity to put this info out there because I think the link between general male violence and coercive control and domestic violence, is still so misunderstood and underestimated. If more dots were joined up a lot sooner, some of these deaths might be preventable.
I would also wonder whether there could be similar parallels to be drawn with India and her partner. Perhaps not with the overt violence, but the coercive control.
*gets off soap box*

• Heart
Reactions: 37

Analina

Hi All, I am a newbie here...I hope you are all well and safe :)

I never thought I would feel the need in myself to write on here or on a similar site, I have never really paid much attention or given much thought to such things until I came across a shared video on insta that Sali H had posted, someone I had stopped following a long time ago because of her lies and false recommendations. This was a video where she ranted so angrily about how she and her family had been abused and victimised. She was reading from a paper like an enraged animal her face bright red. It made me so angry to hear her play the victim, if she was genuine and unjustly hurt she could have spoken from the heart rather than reading from a piece of paper like a crazy angry robot! Because as a consumer having previously bought into her bullsh** and seen the changes she and many others like her have gone through the years, I strongly feel that people should have a right to a platform to express themselves (from some of the posts I read on tattle on her) they seemed fair to me, there were some comments that were on e more personal note that I don't condone with although I did not read anything about her children or husbands, but if she gets caught up in her web of lies she can choose to ignore if she doesn't like it then why read it, she is still getting brands to work with her, if these comments are untrue then she would have nothing to worry about?? it is no surprise that if you put yourself out there you won't be like by all! In the video I think she said SOME other influencer apparently told her of this site as she was not aware....Sali pls give it a rest, if it doesn't please you...jog on write another useless "book"or something I don't think the comments on tattle are affecting your business or are they?

I for one, can completely understand why people are frustrated from all this BS, you may expect this from a younger influencer to push products for an extra buck, but when you act all high and mighty, pretend that you have all this knowledge, expertise/ integrity, and use your contacts in the industry, interview all these celebs and yet in the end you are no different to any of the rest, they are all the same kind of lying leaches, trying to make a living from brands pushing products on their behalf for a whole load of money and commission, to people they have build a trust with who are less knowledgeable and vulnerable into buying into their lies. I know that to be true because that was me in my late 20's. One minute Sali hates petroleum another minute (when its the tom ford face whipped face cream) she loves it!! When I brought her up on this, she replied to me that some formulas are formulated differently! Petroleum is Petroleum Sali, Tom Ford no Tom Ford it is still a cheap product!!

They have developed this status that they "know it all" and what they say is gold! Sali is someone like many of us (I suspect) I used to respect and look forward to hearing about her beauty/skincare advise but that was a very very long time ago, a time where she appeared to be merely a consumer with a lot of access to the latest beauty and skincare products. This was long back in the day where the online beauty industry was far less sophisticated and active as it is nowadays! Thinking back I am sure the goal was always the same (to make as much money) after all she is a journalist its no surprise she can whip up a good story, it is just they were less sophisticated than they are now and they were still new at this Influencer game!!

They have become more cunning and better liars with time. For anyone that knows Sali or Caroline know for well they are far in the "victim" category, they are both loud mouthed bullies that will stomp on anyone that gets in their way, the only difference is that Sali does her stomping with a posh accent and Caroline in a more vulgar kinda way, they both hide behind their beautybanks, which is so ironic because you con so many costumers out of their money then gift free donated products to the less fortunate, I don't know how true that charity is but all I can say it would take a whole lot more doing to clean your consciences than that!

Sali started making money once she realised making videos for the Gurdian was far more profitable than writing a column, Caroline with the help of amodelrecomends started youtube videos as she realised the blog was not cutting it. I have seen Caroline in person, with very little to no makeup, at Pret a manger in Fulham ( I believe that is where her office is) let me tell you her skin looked like a horses ass, full of pigmentation, saggy, texture, dark circles, I know she is in her 50s, some of it may be genetics, but for someone that claims to know it all man did her skin look rough as hell!!
I remember thinking to myself why on earth did I spend my hard earned money based on her skincare advise. She is not a Derm and NO skin expert she is a sales woman and a very good one at it! thank god those days for me are long gone and I don't spend my hard earned money based on their recommendations!! I have seen a dermatologist I now only use 5 products in total and none of which can be bought from money grabbers spacenk or cult beauty and my skin has never looked better.

They make a living by pushing products with embellished false claims, using the statuses they have earned by these loyal consumers (some of which have now turned on them) I don't agree with trolling or abuse but its about time these manipulating money hungry bullies were put in their place.

Rant over....somehow I feel better, lighter ahhahaah ...thank you for allowing me on this platform to express myself :)

• Heart
Reactions: 33

Mselvista

VIP Member
How come? It can’t have been off topic...
They were screenshots from a private group which is a safe space for people to discuss their trauma, family history etc. It was not appropriate for it to be shared here and it was right that it's been removed.
For all that SH likes to portray us as lacking-in-morals trolls, I think it's actually a testament to the standards here on SH's thread that nothing has ever been shared from there before in all 16 threads. The stuff discussed in that group is not to be mined for bitching, or critiquing as I like to characterise it, unlike SH's public SM and "journalism".

Sorry for sounding so po faced!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
Jesus, the person who asked the perfectly polite question ended up feeling so small. That's the Sali Hughes effect
Yeah, they always end up tying themselves in knots to apologise to her for asking totally innocent questions. Why she thinks it's to be a passive-aggressive arsehole to the people actually paying for things

Pleb: Hello Sali, where is your foundation from
Sali: Look, as I've ALREADY told everyone, I was rescuing kittens and dropping off beauty boxes to ICU and sponge-washing your nan. I cannot do everything *takes to bed like Mrs Bennet and her nerves/nervo*

Blue ticker: Hughes, Ginsberg is God and you are a knob
Sali: Hahahaha! I love you, wanker

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
Some of the Tweets are uncomfortable. Please correct me if I’m wrong but it appears SH is using this as an appropriate time to slate anyone who disagrees with her. Quite a few comments about white people just loving a social media storm “super easy to slate people. Lazy AF”

There are so many assumptions in there. It isn’t easy to slate people. It’s hard. And she’s now decreed that if anyone finds her or L’Oreal problematic it’s because they’re white and love to just lazily slate people, thereby shutting down the debate before it’s started. Either she has an only white audience which is problematic or she is changing the demographics to suit her narrative or she is assuming they’re all white which is also problematic. Her entire point at other times has been that trolls are anonymous.

How on earth does she know if people are active in their communities as well as via communication on social media?

It looks like she’s burying it now with lots of off topic tweets rather than engaging with people and asking why they think her white fragility is shining through. Weren’t white people just promising to listen and learn? She’s not listening and she’s teaching.

The take home is that she’s centred herself here and raised barriers to critique, seeing this as a personal battle in the war on ‘trolls’. In my view social media is problematic precisely because any differing opinion is shut down and this allows a very monotone narrative to thrive.

My disappointment is not in white people slagging off lack of diversity. My issue is that this is cast as a bad thing to do.

Very disappointed in the continued platform and how many people (? Mainly white? I do not know) have congratulated her on her stance.

In the last month this person has used her platform to celebrate a trendy paedophile and then laugh at the people who were triggered, clearly spreading the message tk laugh at them between other influencers (See Chapman comment in previous thread) and she has dismissed critique of L’Oréal or any other business/platform as lazy AF performance from people loving a drama. I just cannot.

sorry for long post. So disappointed in the white voices congratulating white voices in a big circle jerk.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

Badabing101

VIP Member
They really own everything, fuck! Which is why it's even more important to call them out every time. Between them and Ron Lauder* donating money to Trump, who is left?

*Will she be dressing for Ron too?
I know, I know. Head in hands. I’m binning off L’Oreal owned brands and ELG. Estee Laundry has done a list of black owned brands if anyone is interested.

Is there no major brand in the world that’s not run by rich white men who do not have a demographic in their workforce that represents the world.... ? Are they all built on inequality and systemic discrimination across race, gender and sexuality? I’m talking fashion, beauty, music, lifestyle. Ugh. It makes me feel ill.

Just to qualify what I’m saying - I noticed that one of the brands Estee Laundry posted about was Briogeo and their name kept popping up when the bullying tactics were being outed by Estee Laundry last year.

I think what this is telling me is that I need to wash my face in water from the mountain springs in Snowdonia and live in a fucking tent in the middle of nowhere. There’s so much bullshit out there.

Of course Sali posted about herself with Sharmadean OF COURSE. She’s basically using her to say ‘look at me, I have black colleagues therefore I am a good person’. You know what fucks me off? This whole performative bullshit about the racial inequalities in this country and the US. Just get on with it, stop showing off and telling us about it and quietly do the work. Anything else is for show.

Twats.

Not just aimed at Sali that BTW, the lot of them.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I find it increasingly wierd that Sali's problem seems to be with white people complaining about racism in the beauty industry, rather than with the actual racism in the beauty industry.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Wolf359

Chatty Member
It's like the wife of the cop who murdered George Floyd. Waited till he was charged to file for divorce. As though his being a monster was news to her
To be fair, I think if he can kneel on a man’s neck and kill him, he’s probably an abusive, violent arsehole at home as well and she was likely too terrified to leave him until she knew it would be safe.

Reactions: 23

melfish

VIP Member
Honestly, white people, particularly white people who aren't even American, need to stfu with their hot takes and virtue signalling. Amplify the voices of Black people who know and live this, or be quiet. No one cares what you think

• Heart
Reactions: 23

Analina

Very well written. For me, the time during lockdown has made me see so many of these beauty instafloggers for what they really are. I've unfollowed quite a few.

thank you and I totally agree :)

I wish the current me could go back in time and tell the old me ...save your money, look at ingredients and only trust those, if things don't improve save your money see a dermatologist, but we live and learn. It is only recently they have been forced to declare adds and payments and some if not all still lie and cheat their way if then can, prior to that they were literally milking it! Not to mention that Sali, Caroline etc, their age demographic of followers starts from 16-17 up to late 60's - they are literally rolling in it! which I would not mind if what they were selling was genuine, however the line between being genuine and ingenue is so fine and so blurry which of course only makes it easier for them to get away with anything!

Would you mind sharing what you use? I need some new stuff and refuse to spend with the brands that are paying these influencers.
I will do my best to tell you what I have used, but I don't know your age, skin type, concerns or budget but I hope I can be somewhat helpful :)

My skin type is normal to sometimes dry on the outer part with an oily t zone prone to blackheads on the nose and hormonal acne around the chin or sides of face (mainly during that time of the month) I also had some sun damage on top of my cheeks so my general target was to get clearer skin and to lighten my pigmentation.

I saw a dermatologist, she prescribed me the following;
1)Basic cleanser, cant remember the brand but It was a foam like cleanser not stripping a very similar one is Curel they sell this in boots now and I really like it. does the job, does not strip your skin,it lasts for ages, can be used to remove makeup and as a morning cleanser - you really don't need a gazillion cleansers If you have any of my skin issues, I would advise stay away from anything that contains oil..the only oil I use is part of my vitamin c.
2)Tretionoin 05% (brand was obagi this is a thick cream)
3)Vitamin c serum 15% (brand was obagi this is oil based)
4)SPF (brand was heliocare)

In addition to this, I was also given to use as and when needed,
5) Finacea gel 15% this is a generic azealic acid - it is more of a milky white lotion like than gel (always in the morning if using tretinoin)
6) Duac gel - this is Contains an antibiotic called Clindamycin to stop bacteria associated with acne from reproducing as well as Benzoyl Peroxide which reduces blackheads and whiteheads I used the one that comes in blue at 5% gel, there is also one at 3% in green. (used at night and morning when needed on breakouts )
you can get both of these online- I have done this without needing to go and see a dermatologist, they are available online at several pharmacies, you don't need a prescription. you may also get these for less from your GP I have not bothers as they are less than £20

I basically only used these products for 6 months and my skin never looked better. I gave away all my other products, la mer, la praire, Drunk elephant, este Lauder, Murad, may lindstrom, alpha h, Sunday Riley...to name just a few, I mean I was a skin care junkie yet nothing ever made a difference.

After the six month I did try Tri Luma cream - its a tretinoin cream mixed with hydroquinone which is the only skin lightning ingredient that actually works to lighten sun damage or melasma. It deff works, it can only be used for a max of 4 months then you have to take a break, and if you use spf it will keep the brown patches away. there is some controversy around it, I personally think if used correctly it does the job and no harm!

I have maintained this routine and have not diverted, I still use the same principles, basic oil free cleanser, I am currently using the Is Clinical Cleansing Complex - this is mild enough to use with retinol/tretinoins it won't burn.

I have added a scrub, I use this daily my skin loves it. its Lancer the method scrub - all three versions he makes are great. I use the same vit
c serum from obabi 15% and the same spf from heliocare they do a few and all are great and affordable. they also contain antioxidants so you don't need to spend money on different lotions potions peptides and serums.

I have also used the Obagi nu derm program and Zo skin medical- Both brands were created by the same dr, he sold the first company Obagi and created a new one called Zo Skin. Both work great but cost a lot of money.

Now that I know what works from me I don't see a derm any more. I buy my Tretinoin when I go abroad or get family or friends to buy it for me, you can use tretinoin even after is use by date, I am currently using refissa it is very emollient and at 0.5% which is the best tretionoin (vitamin A) cream I have ever used, I have tried obagi and a few others this is by far my favourite. My mum got this from me in the US I don't know if it available in the UK. But any Tretinoin will do, it is the gold standard I would not waste my money on retinols or all this bull shit they try to sell us. If you are serious about skincare invest in tretinoin and stick with it, It takes a few weeks, your skin will shed a bit but it is the only thing that has made a difference to skin texture, dark spots, sun damage, black heads on t zone etc.I initially used it once a week until I build a tolerance, always use spf your skin will thank you for it.

I hope I have been somewhat helpful - everyone deserve good skin- and we all would have if we saved our money and did not waste it on the latest trends.

:)
I hope this helps,

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

Lemsipmax

On a lighter note - on the much requested video 😂 at the bottom she writes:
'Ad info. NOT paid for ......all products #presssamples #gifted'

I'm confused. So is she saying it is an ad?
Or getting out of saying it is an ad?
What the fuck does "gifted" mean in this context? If you actually asked them to explain. A brand has given you a product for free. Explain exactly why they would give that to you. You're just their favourite lovely person? It was your birthday? They heard you were feeling a bit down. You just had a baby? These are the reasons friends give people gifts. WHY ARE THEY GIVING YOU GIFTS? They expect you to mention their product. OF COURSE THE FUCKING DO!

It's you giving your endorsement no matter how passive. It's an Ad!!!

Edited because I thought I heard my cat flap straining under the weight of an ex mp.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart

Mselvista

VIP Member
As per the first line of her management company blurb: "Sali Hughes is a journalist, presenter and broadcaster, specialising in beauty, women’s issues and film."

Could've fooled me.

Apart from her paragraphs in the Guardian most weekends, what journalism does she produce?
Presenter? On Soho Radio? Does the Soho Radio gig also cover broadcaster- what else does she broadcast?
She seems to mainly appear in department stores or host events for others in the industry.
She's wanted to be a writer since she was a dot. Where is her writing? Who publishes her work? I understand she's suppsed to be writing a top secret book, the publication date of which keeps getting pushed back - it was originally supposed to be out April this year. Then I think the date was changed to Sept this year. Now it's 2021.
She's got Beauty Banks, for which she "sorts out" the accounts despite saying she's crap at maths and can't help her children with their homework and I think another poster said she'd previously said they have an accountant who gives their sevices for free.
She repeats ad nauseam that liking beauty needn't mean one is without depth.
Where is the depth?
Where is the writing?
Where is evidence of original thought? She has been recycling the same 10 or so hot takes sibce before she developed an interest in sustainability (which was probably "long held" according to her).
She wrote something for a Perfume Shop magazine. She's writing "articles" promoting Now TV. She refers to herself as "a proper journalist" who fell into writing about beauty.
Her makeup is a greasy mess and there's nearly as many shades of base on her face as there are colours on the spectrum.
She has fabulous skin which I suspect is probably largely genetics.
She has been less than transparent re what help she has had to look the way she does.
I suspect the reason she is still at the Guardian is because of those affiliate links, the "Delia effect" she has on sales, the losses that all newspapers are making, the Guardian's resistance to a paywall model. Regardless of the quality of her recommendations, some will blindly buy what's featured in her columns.
I'm in Hirons' FB group. I've seen people say that they are throwing products that they like away and which have gicen them goid results because "Queen Caroline" has said they're rubbish. I've seen people post Oskia, Sunday Riley, Tata Harper, Drunk Elephant stuff and ask what it's for and how they should use it because the Queen says it's good. People often post drawers full of products - thousands of pounds worth ( well, I say worth - stuff that would have *cost* thousands of pounds). Caroline H on This Morning categorised products as every day purchases, pay day purchases and *credit card* purchases. These aren't one off purchases. These are products to be used daily and repurchased. I have no doubt that there are people who similarly buy lots of SH's recommendations *purely because she is the one doing the recommending*. And that, I suspect, is why she's still at the Guardian despite the column being a load of cack. She generates money for them.

Fuck! That was long! Sorry everyone 🤣

• Heart

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
rant of the day

- Beauty Pie posted a generic BLM post saying they are about love, democracy, equality etc
- - Woc tells BP their shade range doesn't include her
- - - Beauty Pie says they can't afford to expand beyond 14 shades yet, as due to their 5000 minimum order quantities they would risk sending stuff to landfil.
- - - - Beauty Pie deletes comments about race, after wanting to start a 'conversation' from BLM.
#SALISENTME

meanwhile glossier just donated $1mill...

• Wow
  • Angry

Raker

VIP Member

And a major benefit of that ultra pricey blusher is that it’s very small?? 🤔

...look into my eyes, not around the eyes, but into my eyes. This tiny expensive blusher is very cool and your purchase will benefit me financially. 1,2,3 back in the room... 😵

• Haha

Disillusioned

VIP Member
Has anyone used that Nars tinted moisturiser she talks about? The Pure Radiant one? I never buy stuff like this - or foundation - because I haven't a clue about my skintone and all the self-tests to determine it are beyond me
You sound like you’re dangerously close to being influenced...? 😬 Have a cold shower and slap on some lard!!

ETA: in case you do decide to buy, your shade is most likely ‘Beef: medium rare’. You’re welcome.

• Haha
Reactions: 21