Sali Hughes #15 Ugg slipper, a red lip, when dressing for Leonard don't let standards slip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You’re a brave woman!
dear god SHE IS STILL GOING in the dm. it's exactly the same drivel as i used to read years ago (since gave up the daily mail). utter utter self pitying dross.

Reactions: 1
dear god SHE IS STILL GOING in the dm. it's exactly the same drivel as i used to read years ago (since gave up the daily mail). utter utter self pitying dross.
Still ploughing the same furrow, yet no happier? 🤣

Ha, I know I referenced insanity flippantly earlier, but isn’t that one of the very definitions of the word — doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results?

Sali just did an igtv foundation review twice saying that the coverage was "eggshell"

Wtf is an eggshell finish?

Smooth? Speckled? Cracked? Swatched by Farrow & Ball?

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Agree. SH is woeful over ingredients. She’s got in a muddle over sun protection actives multiple times. If you’re writing about skincare you really need to get yourself some basic scientific knowledge or to regularly consult someone who does. As long as a product doesn’t bobble, SH doesn’t give a toss.
Speaking of sun protection - did anybody else read Funmi Fetto on Saturday saying you still need SPF indoors? Because of windows. She uses a separate SPF in the day time ALL THE TIME. I think that is just paranoia, and putting product on your skin unnecessarily. Does anyone else do this? My moisturiser may have SPF in it but that is it.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
No, I think it’s just more bollocks trying to scare us into purchasing, as ever.

Reactions: 8
Speaking of sun protection - did anybody else read Funmi Fetto on Saturday saying you still need SPF indoors? Because of windows. She uses a separate SPF in the day time ALL THE TIME. I think that is just paranoia, and putting product on your skin unnecessarily. Does anyone else do this? My moisturiser may have SPF in it but that is it.
I didn't read the article but I do use an SPF every day. It's just part of my (fairly minimal - just one other product) morning skincare routine. If I knew I would be spending the whole day indoors then I wouldn't think it necessary but there's rarely a day when I'm not outdoors at some point.

I think it is true though that the 'skin aging' UVA rays get through windows. IIRC HotandFlashy Angie - who I consider to be well-informed - puts on sunscreen before doing her morning exercises (indoors). She then showers, removing the sunscreen she put on just for the short time she was doing her exercises, and then re-applies it as the final step in her morning routine. That's going a bit far in my opinion, but part of her justification is that she's using Tretinoin which makes the skin more sensitive to sun damage.

Yes, UVAs can penetrate through windows and the problem is they are present all year around regardless of the type of weather. Exposure to UV is cumulative hence why SPF is recommended all year around

Fumni’s columns are so devoid from the reality of regular readers, I’ve stopped reading them and simply skim through to see if there’s even one product she recommends below the £30 mark.

Nivea make a perfectly decent zero white residue face SPF50 which is sold in most supermarkets at £6-7 for 50ml. It’s non-clogging and sits great under make up too. I really don’t see a reason to pay more for a product I use all year around.

Reactions: 3
I wear spf everyday, NHS dermatologists recommend it (there was a stat that said that alone reduces skincancer by 18%?) its the only credible thing Funmi has ever written, ironically contradicting Sali. Gothamista gets UV filter sheets for her windows.

The prices for suncream that beauty journalists recommend are horrifying, I always turned the pages on sunday supplement suncream reviews because they were so expensive and if used properly would only last about month (the cheap soltan ones broke me out because all their face ranges assume you want moisturise). I now use a midprice LRP one around my eyes, and a cheap altruist one everywhere else (altruist can irritate my eyes, but is v cheap https://altruistsun.com/shop/) and wish a beauty journo had actually explained this all properly ten years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2012/jun/05/face-shows-damage-from-sun photo of a driver, half of his face was always shaded and the other half got UVA light through his window

Last edited:
  • Wow
The terrifying 'advice' that is pushed at women around spf makes me sad. So women are now supposed to shield themselves inside their own homes? Is there nowhere women can just be without the claws of the beauty industry embedded in them?

The benefit of Spf is overstated. Obvs don't sit in the sun and sizzle, but skin ages from the inside too. You are going to get wrinkles. It will sag and dimple. It will lose elasticity. You will look like an old woman one day. It's inescapable, a fact of being alive.

There is no reason aging should be categorised as 'a bad thing'.

Spf is a pollutant, hence various resorts around the world banning it. Rates of skin cancer aren't really dropping, despite years of spf being championed because smearing chemicals on your skin and then adding heat has its own adverse effects on skin.

This old lady can confirm, via an unofficial survey of her own friends who do and don't wear spf, that over the years it doesn't make enough of a difference to merit the hassle or expense.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
The terrifying 'advice' that is pushed at women around spf makes me sad. So women are now supposed to shield themselves inside their own homes? Is there nowhere women can just be without the claws of the beauty industry embedded in them?

The benefit of Spf is overstated. Obvs don't sit in the sun and sizzle, but skin ages from the inside too. You are going to get wrinkles. It will sag and dimple. It will lose elasticity. You will look like an old woman one day. It's inescapable, a fact of being alive.

There is no reason aging should be categorised as 'a bad thing'.

Spf is a pollutant, hence various resorts around the world banning it. Rates of skin cancer aren't really dropping, despite years of spf being championed because smearing chemicals on your skin and then adding heat has its own adverse effects on skin.

This old lady can confirm, via an unofficial survey of her own friends who do and don't wear spf, that over the years it doesn't make enough of a difference to merit the hassle or expense.
I see suncream as medical, not solely cosmetic. It is possible to get suncream without the ingredients which are known to damage reef resorts if thats what you mean?

Global rates of skin cancer aren't dropping for multiple reasons increased travel and migration patterns, ozone etc so suncream alone would never compensate for all that by itself (and SPF is the last resort after covering up, shade etc).

What adverse effects of chemicals + heat on the skin are you referring to?

If you google 'sunscreen ingredients cause cancer' and 'sunscreen coral reef' there are various sites to look at ranging from sensible to lunatic fringe :)

None of this info normally makes it into an influencer's posts though.

Haha don’t get me started on that group and SPF, they preach it like crazy but when I asked for a recommendation for a February trip where I would be outside a lot but it was a sunbathing holiday so needed something that was good with makeup (plus using Differin so needed it) and I didn’t get a straight answer from anyone. Got a lot of “it’s February”, “don’t wear make up then” etc etc. Which is it? Wear spf? Don’t wear it? Are they all saying it and not doing it?

Kitchen disco next?
Do we need an emergency Bruce? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

C02E2833-7D65-4100-8E13-87B2A2AE2B9A.jpeg

Looks like that weak dilute is still going erm...strong!

I mean it looks decent but why lie abo just having a smidge of baby Botox when it’s a very popular treatment that lots of people have?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.