Sali Hughes #15 Ugg slipper, a red lip, when dressing for Leonard don't let standards slip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The American You-Tuber Angie - HotandFlashy - isn't my style at all (as regards make-up/hair/clothes) but the reason I like her content is that she really puts in the work.

If she's reviewing a foundation, for example, she'll test it through the day taking pictures to show how it looked initially, then after lunch and then towards the end of day. Then she'll do the same the next day but using a primer first. Or if she's had a cosmetic procedure she'll show and report on the results after a week, then a month, then six months, then 18 months (if it's the sort of thing that's supposed to last that long). And she's just as likely to give negative as positive reviews of products and procedures. She researches the evidence for skincare ingredients, looks for cheaper versions and shows how to use products.

This is the sort of content I want from a beauty IGer/YouTuber/influencer - not indiscriminate gushing over product. Is there a UK-based equivalent?
I'm sorry to say that pretty much all UK influencers are a joke. Angie is next level, none are anywhere near her league

Reactions: 8
I watched some of her videos and she really does put in the effort. But you see she's comfortable with saying a product is no good (for her skin at any rate)...

Reactions: 4
She is not well known, I don't think, but The Beauty Maverick does lots of in depth reviews in a similar vein to Hot and Flashy. She is certainly not afraid to give an honest review and talks openly about her cosmetic procedures and the failure of her eyelid surgery.

Reactions: 2
The American You-Tuber Angie - HotandFlashy - isn't my style at all (as regards make-up/hair/clothes) but the reason I like her content is that she really puts in the work.

If she's reviewing a foundation, for example, she'll test it through the day taking pictures to show how it looked initially, then after lunch and then towards the end of day. Then she'll do the same the next day but using a primer first. Or if she's had a cosmetic procedure she'll show and report on the results after a week, then a month, then six months, then 18 months (if it's the sort of thing that's supposed to last that long). And she's just as likely to give negative as positive reviews of products and procedures. She researches the evidence for skincare ingredients, looks for cheaper versions and shows how to use products.

This is the sort of content I want from a beauty IGer/YouTuber/influencer - not indiscriminate gushing over product. Is there a UK-based equivalent?
Agree. SH is woeful over ingredients. She’s got in a muddle over sun protection actives multiple times. If you’re writing about skincare you really need to get yourself some basic scientific knowledge or to regularly consult someone who does. As long as a product doesn’t bobble, SH doesn’t give a toss.

Reactions: 6
HATE that expression. It's so patronising. Like you have to qualify praising a woman's intelligence by adding ....what?! Is it quirky? Slightly sexual? Non threatening to men? 🤢
'Whip smart' completely sets my teeth on edge. I think it implies 'cleverer than you might think'. Which is incredibly patronising.

Reactions: 8
Hot and flashy does excellent before and after photos, identical angles and lighting like medical photography should be.

My latest disappointment is Dr Anjali Mahto who wrote the Skincare Bible ex-NHS derm now Harley St, and on Charlotte Darhling Tilbury's ridiculous serum claim hour long promo vid. Complete with newmadeupingredientsTM named by marketing departments and with healing crystals. SMH after a whole chapter in her book about how dishonest companies prey and profit off people's skincare insecurities.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
My latest disappointment is Dr Anjali Mahto who wrote the Skincare Bible ex-NHS derm now Harley St, and on Charlotte Darhling Tilbury's ridiculous serum claim hour long promo vid. Complete with newmadeupingredientsTM named by marketing departments and with healing crystals. SMH after a whole chapter in her book about how dishonest companies prey and profit off people's skincare insecurities.
This is appalling - she quotes a 'user trial' made up of 31 people tested over three weeks. She's reading prompts but it sounds like she's following a script. Money talks, I guess

• Sad
Reactions: 4
HATE that expression. It's so patronising. Like you have to qualify praising a woman's intelligence by adding ....what?! Is it quirky? Slightly sexual? Non threatening to men? 🤢
Agree. I saw some of 'I'm a celebrity...get me out of here' a couple of years ago and what's stuck in my memory is Danny Baker constantly referring to Scarlett Moffatt as 'whip smart'. I think she's typical of sort of person who's described as such (female, young, working class). And he's probably typical of the sort of person who'd say it.

Reactions: 5
No I think it’s more kind of astute/quick witted. Reminds me of American mags I read about 10/15 years ago when I lived abroad 🙄

No I think it’s more kind of astute/quick witted. Reminds me of American mags I read about 10/15 years ago when I lived abroad 🙄

It's a deffo a cosmo thing isn't it.' The new It girl is into indie, whip smart (yes she read books guys), gets your weird pop cultural references and will watch caddyshack on repeat with you. '

It's also got shades of that old manic pixie girl troupe. Making your personality palatable to a male audience

Reactions: 12
I think the term 'whip smart' is quite often patronisingly applied to women who aren't conventionally perceived as bright, only the commenter is uniquely able to see this eg the aforementioned Danny Baker/Scarlett Moffat. Sali has said it about, amongst others, Pamela Anderson and Stacey Solomon. (Their intelligence quite often hadn't been questioned in the first place by most people).

Reactions: 10
It's a deffo a cosmo thing isn't it.
That’s it!!

Imagine being influenced by 20 year old Cosmo turns of phrase! So cool — as cool as effin’ Liz Jones and her SATC mania (my eyes cannot roll back far enough in my head)

• Haha
Reactions: 6
That’s it!!

Imagine being influenced by 20 year old Cosmo turns of phrase! So cool — as cool as effin’ Liz Jones and her SATC mania (my eyes cannot roll back far enough in my head)
oh man i had forgotten about liz jones!! and her awful AWFUL daily mail column. did they sack her? what does she do now?

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I... can’t...look ...

I spend all my non-home schooling, non-working from home time barely keeping up with the Jack Monroe shitshow. Please don’t send me down a Liz Jones wormhole...

... or basically just condense it down to Liz Jones, TLDR, the insanity* continues

* not a word I throw round lightly, or for fun

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I... can’t...look ...

I spend all my non-home schooling, non-working from home time barely keeping up with the Jack Monroe shitshow. Please don’t send me down a Liz Jones wormhole...

... or basically just condense it down to Liz Jones, TLDR, the insanity* continues

* not a word I throw round lightly, or for fun
bwahaha i'll look ole' liz up later and provide a precis.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.