Sali Hughes #15 Ugg slipper, a red lip, when dressing for Leonard don't let standards slip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I saw yesterday that a journalist (maybe for the Telegraph) was asking people to let him know of restaurants OUTSIDE LONDON who were offering takeaways/ different services during the lockdown.
I can’t help thinking that yesterday’s column could have done something like that but with salons. It wouldn’t have even taken much work just to ask all of her followers to give her some names/ themes that she could mention.. I know she can’t list all.

What gets me above all else is it’s just such lazy journalism.

Reactions: 8
It’s not really journalism is it? it's like an extended IG comment ... the word count in the column is pretty tight but it could be a bit (lot) more informative.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
It’s not really journalism is it? it's like an extended IG comment ... the word count in the column is pretty tigh
This. It's just product lists. We are supposed to believe she has some special power which makes her able to intuit the 'best' products so those product lists aren't random, as if she is some sort of faith healer who will transform your life.

Reactions: 7
This. It's just product lists. We are supposed to believe she has some special power which makes her able to intuit the 'best' products so those product lists aren't random, as if she is some sort of faith healer who will transform your life.
She was always very vague about her testing protocol. She used to claim to send products out for others to trial, but it always sounded more like a few friends. Haven’t heard her refer to any kind of product trials in years. Her recommendations are now so clearly brand-driven not consumer-driven.

Reactions: 13
She was always very vague about her testing protocol. She used to claim to send products out for others to trial, but it always sounded more like a few friends. Haven’t heard her refer to any kind of product trials in years. Her recommendations are now so clearly brand-driven not consumer-driven.
I remember her asking for testers for rosacea on GTL, before SHB launched. I don't know about know. I think she's mentioned her sons and a friend's daughter who had a spotty back when recommending stuff for teenage skin.

Reactions: 1
I remember her asking for testers for rosacea on GTL, before SHB launched. I don't know about know. I think she's mentioned her sons and a friend's daughter who had a spotty back when recommending stuff for teenage skin.
Yes, exactly - hardly extensive. She had a huge resource of willing testers with various skin/hair types and issues, but only used them once. Apart from that, F&F.

Reactions: 2
I'm sure I recall her defensively talking about how expensive postage was a reason for not having a wider range of testers, although I thought being a tester was the incentive dangled in front of those who joined her site.

I remember being really surprised in Pretty Honest when she mentioned she had a skin condition serious enough to require medical management, because surely if you're not even starting with 'normal' skin, how can you possibly give a view on skincare? When BTL comments were allowed, often someone chimed in saying that, actually, the cream SH had said wasn't greasy/rich enough was really greasy, sometimes even with comparative examples which made them sound more expert than SH herself.

Reactions: 10
I'm sure I recall her defensively talking about how expensive postage was a reason for not having a wider range of testers, although I thought being a tester was the incentive dangled in front of those who joined her site.
Couldn't that cost have been either paid by the guardian or products shared among guardian staff, or by herself as a minor tax write off? Such a tit excuse, especially as it goes against her own logic that you need to have been given things for free to be objective.

Reactions: 3
Such a tit excuse, especially as it goes against her own logic that you need to have been given things for free to be objective.
Ha, yes! She could even have passed the cost onto her testers...pay a tenner and get a mystery bundle to report back on.

But probably only SH has the necessary objectivity. A beef-faced loser would Bbe bound to only ever say that stuff was good. ..Oh.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
As she is so tight with PR people and distributers (as evidenced by her beautybanks posts) could she not have asked for one of her samples to be directly sent to her potential tester?

(Bit stingy about sample postage costs to followers, but not when ordering shampoo to Brighton from Glasgow)

Reactions: 5
I'd never heard of Sarah Ditum. Still struggling with the concept that blue tickers are 'braver' than other women.
I wonder how many nurses, doctors, care workers, firefighters, teachers, checkout people etc etc are blue tickers but yes - sure Jan.

• Sick
Reactions: 12
Bluetickers are very, very brave. Tremendously brave. Everybody tells me this

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Who is that stupid woman who thinks blue tickers are brave, what is brave about being an obsessive social media personality?

Reactions: 6
The American You-Tuber Angie - HotandFlashy - isn't my style at all (as regards make-up/hair/clothes) but the reason I like her content is that she really puts in the work.

If she's reviewing a foundation, for example, she'll test it through the day taking pictures to show how it looked initially, then after lunch and then towards the end of day. Then she'll do the same the next day but using a primer first. Or if she's had a cosmetic procedure she'll show and report on the results after a week, then a month, then six months, then 18 months (if it's the sort of thing that's supposed to last that long). And she's just as likely to give negative as positive reviews of products and procedures. She researches the evidence for skincare ingredients, looks for cheaper versions and shows how to use products.

This is the sort of content I want from a beauty IGer/YouTuber/influencer - not indiscriminate gushing over product. Is there a UK-based equivalent?

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.