Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
This 100%. Creating a hype and a fear of missing out are classic marketing tricks to generate interest and new sales. I work from the point that everything influencers post on social media is somehow calculated towards more sales- they are not our friends or informed ‘experts’ providing kindly advice for charitable reasons. Also, such a simple trick, but mention Ugg slippers 2-3 times in close succession and lots of people are prob thinking, well yes, I want some for myself now, they seem like a sensible treat in lockdown! Advertising at its best, people!
100%. Always always bear in mind that an influencer is out to influence ie get you to buy something they recommend. Nothing mentioned is by chance. No matter how casual and slipped in it may at first seem. That oh so casual approach is their USP. All very carefully calculated and discussed with the vendor.
Esther Walker did an exposé of this when she attempted to be an influencer (she gave up as she hated it). But each IG image put out is discussed beforehand. Pressure put on the IGer to achieve sales and engagement. Very cynical.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Quite. And if SH is friends with the Pwr Grls - she certainly follows them on Insta - she’d be mad to pay retail price for anything from Ugg, when they’re clearly throwing freebies and money at influencers. And yet she is categorically claiming to have paid, using a newer customer code. It seems... unlikely.
Some girls' new customer codes are bigger than other girls' new customer codes

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I don’t work in a women’s refuge, but I do work in a similar sector. What I would say is that the general public and organisations big and small have been incredibly generous, particularly around food (which we really need!). Aside from the obvious worry of people becoming seriously ill, I was worried about how I was going to provide the basics to people, but we’re doing ok, and whilst the generosity of others of course cannot go on forever, it’s been remarkable enough that we can probably be sustained for many weeks of this, and additional government funding and various grants, big and small, are on their way which enables us to continue doing what we do.

I agree that people giving money is usually the most useful. Second most useful is to follow preferred charities on social media (local or national, whatever works for you!) and look at what they’re requesting. If you can assist with something in particular, brilliant. If not, that’s ok, maybe another time.
Sorry to derail!

• Heart

Disillusioned

VIP Member
Sorry, I shouldn't have said that, it sounded mean and catty. I meant it's unrealistic to stay the same size and shape as you get older. The relentless ageism of the beauty industry means that there's huge pressure on influencers to conform to a certain ideal which gets really hard after a certain point. If people are hanging on your every word you should perhaps be talking about that because not all your target market is young. SH's approach to all of this is airy dismissal and an assumption that it's effortless which it really isn't.
Totally agree that the “effortless, excellent genes” attitude is awful. And irresponsible. And likely not honest.

Baroo11

Agree with you all re: BB. NHS staff don’t need Kiehl’s hand cream and I and my colleagues would prefer their efforts were spent providing essential items to people in need.

I work in mental health and there are so many very vulnerable people with significant mental health problems who are very isolated and struggling to get basic provisions. The voluntary services that may have supported them with shopping etc in many cases have had to withdraw. It’s a shit show.

• Heart
  • Sad

Apples87

4B9906D9-7B99-4468-BF0C-C58310E75D99.jpeg
I think this sums up the tumbleweeds from the gang, there is simply not a single way they can explain their way out of this so they’re just staying quiet.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
View attachment 112718View attachment 112719View attachment 112720

Oldies but goodies. I wonder if SH's thinking has evolved since then. Those comments were post Leveson and I found them astonishing at the time which is why I remembered them.

I don't really care about hypocrisy, we're all hypocrites in some way or another. It's the arrogance of rather mediocre thinkers setting themselves up as moral arbiters and guides to modern life and thinking themselves superior.

The certainty with which SH imbues her every statement whether it's about an acid toner or the guilt of Christopher Jefferies is one of the things that realy grates for me.
Oh dear. So does writing about all those things she cites for The Pool and elsewhere mean she should acknowledge she has sold her private life by her own criteria? I imagine The Pool paid her for those think pieces. She chose to write about her sex life. I can't imagine anybody here would chose to speculate about it otherwise. She seems to have a problem with people remembering stuff she wrote. Remembering things = trolling.

Last edited:
  • Heart

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
Anyone would think she was trying to be the heroine the country needs right now. *cough* OBE
I said upthread that it’s commendable work Beauty Banks are doing but the cynic in me feels Sali has nothing to currently flog so is using ‘my charity’ to stay relevant and attract the attention of the award givers when this crisis is over.

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
They don't want a face serum, or some vitamin c capsules. A pampering session (cringe) is an insult to them.
This. They want to spend time with their families without worrying that they are passing the virus to them. The whole 'pampering me time' thing is ludicrous at the best of times, but right now it's like wishing at an earthquake to make it stop.

• Heart

rosemarina

VIP Member
£86 pack of sheet masks. Now, I can burn through money with the best of them, but this feels so tone deaf.

• Wow
  • Angry

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
I agree her response is disproportionate, with the suicide threats and lives being destroyed stuff. It's a fact of life that whatever you do, some people won't like it. And if you are attractive and/or are privileged, some people will hate you on sight. But that's true for all of us. No one can control the world, and all anyone can do is surround themselves with people who like them and ignore the rest.

When I first came across tattle, my impression was that it was frustrated people letting off stream. Some like to go for a run, some like to smash china, some like to bitch on the internet and return to their normal lives a bit calmer. Sometimes a comment is petty bitchery, but I think people here are good at steering clear of that (I've been told off for a mean comment, which was completely right. My ego hasn't collapsed).

Amongst the comments though, there is a lot of sensible critical engagement of the actions of these schillers. The relationship they have with their 'followers' pretends to be that of a big inclusive gang of friends with nods to feminist 'empowerment' but in reality is more like coercive control, only visible when you challenge it.

It's clear that someone is feeding SH with what we're saying, and for that I feel genuinely sorry for her because that is cruel. She would be far better off shutting that channel down, rather than attacking our right to free speech.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
She'll maybe try that trusted tack of go quiet for a bit, ignore it when you return, and if anyone mentions it again accuse them of being a bully and a troll whose opinion can be dismissed.

slugella

VIP Member
Yep, the fetishisation of the health service is very strange - behind the scenes there are people without PPE and being made to work in unsafe conditions. Clapping and donating a box of Elemis isn't going to address the real fears of the people in the thick of it or hold accountable those who contributed to the poor working conditions.
Exactly this. My friend is working in ICU in a hospital in north west England and she says the news isn't portraying the reality at all. Not enough staff and staff members out of their depth. Not the correct equipment, not enough to go around. It sounds absolutely awful and I think a lot of people have been made to feel too afraid to speak to the press.

• Sad

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
V surprised that a woman whose credibility is based on being a POC makeup journo reinforces the idea of idolising blonde hair over embracing one's natural hair. 'Mousy brown' is flattering on most caucasian people, its a soft cool brown that doesn't wash people out.
I know, it has pissed me off beyond belief. I'd look like ten shades of shit with blonde hair. But it just proves that the beauty industry is not there to help people, it's there to make people think they've problems that need fixing

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Ahahaha these are so funny. She writes extensively about her sex life. We comment on what she has written about her sex life. Yet she sees that as us delving into her sex life. Can she really really not see she did this to herself?

• Sad

GrunkaLunka

VIP Member
I really am of the opinion now I don't really want to talk about Lauren here and I regret mentioning her in previous threads but this did annoy me. 'Not as slim' is so far removed from 'fat'. I'm not as slim as vast amounts of people - I don't care, it doesn't matter - so for Sali to keep dragging it up in a judgemental fashion seemed unkind.
Many posters here have commented that Lauren is a stunner with amazing hair and skin.
Makes me uncomfortable too. I've said this before but the way that Sali keeps reminding Lauren of it seems so unkind and unnecessary. "Remember, they slagged you off too. Remember they called you fat." It's just her way of manipulating the narrative to suit her. Almost every post on here was about her not declaring freebies, ads, treatments and so on. She chooses EVERY time to refer to the minority of posts, and twists them to fit.

• Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
THIS!!!!!
Yes absolutely. Always about disguising our natural foul selves. Wrinkles, grey hair, mousey hair, skin that isn't glowy. Create a paranoia around something entirely normal and provide something for us to buy to conform.
Tweakments, smidges, ring lights, filters etc all add to the illusion that the normal face really is not normal. Cynical as fuck.

• Heart