Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
I've never liked going to the hairdressers
The worst part of going to the hairdresser for me - that moment when you are strangled with the smock and you sit down with wet hair and see yourself in the mirror looking like a mouse dipped in oil. I strain my eye muscles from looking away every time.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
I have a sneaking suspicion that’s all very deliberate.

She contrives a conversation with a flying monkey publicly on twitter to say topic X is being or has been discussed here.

We all look at each other and go, when was Topic X ever mentioned? Nope, me neither. Or, that was only ever discussed because Sali herself wrote about. Or, on a very rare occasion it was mentioned once in passing and other people gently suggested it was best left alone.

But it’s bingo for Sali because Topic X has then, by definition, been discussed.

I think she’s hoping to make it as vitriolic and petty (and anti-woman, weirdly) as possible here because it plays into her hands. And the less chat on here about her influencer activities the better for her.

She may also enjoy being able to set the hares running on bizarre topics - maybe a form of narcissistic supply? (Just thinking out loud on that one).
once again, you hit the nail on the head. The only one to mention Lauren’s weight repeatedly is Sali. I almost wish Lauren would throw a passive aggressive swipe by mentioning Sali’s smidge of diluted botox loudly, publicly and repeatedly.

• Haha
  • Heart

PennyBr

This is an interesting read, about why people participate in gossip sites. A lot is well observed, but it’s v one-dimensional - shame it doesn’t go into what I have found here, the feeling of finally not feeling like you’re going mad because you’ve found other people who can smell the same bullshit from woefully under-regulated influencers. Also a shame comments were turned off, I think it would have been insightful.

Feels like it should have been paired with a counter piece from someone such as one of us, it just comes off sanctimonious on its own.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...e-gossip-drama-women-influencer-addiction-why
I did read the article despite the warnings and some concepts are interesting, i wasn’t aware of the specific habit from the 18th century, but it does take only half a paragraph, so if you see one paragraph starting with the ‘18th century’ just skip it.
The examples from reddit are extreme indeed, and i haven‘t noticed this behaviour on this thread ( i did attempt to follow 2 other threads on tattle and left due to how uncomfortable the commenters made me feel: there was no space for debate, or a balanced opinion just the extreme view). All i have noticed here is for any comments about the looks of SH there are dissenting views, which are respected ( eg commenters stating that they actually do like her make up, or a piece of clothing etc). The issues we mostly struggle with are: the rare disclosure of tweakments, the lazy writing in her column, the bullying, the attitude of knowing better than anyone else and the commercial relationships she entertains with brands whilst trying to come across as public service almost. When it is not, and she makes a living out of pretending to be an approachable friend, whilst getting paid, and forgetting to mention so.
And i love it when we go a bit off topic! And yes i am mostly a stalker here;) Love reading well rounded thoughts, or partially rounded ones, different opinions, a bunch of smart women just chatting. Thank you! Back to lurking.

• Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
That bit when she started hunting down people who had said she was a fraud was absolutely nuts. I still can't believe she was going through their personal Facebook profiles and threatening that she knew where they lived. All because people called her out over a ridiculous shower cap advert.
It was all very strange. And then the accusations on her video that her family and especially her children were being targeted. You would have to go through pages and pages of comments here (a folder full in fact) to see them even mentioned once - and only in the context of her talking about them on SM. And the beginning of the video - 'a group of women (why this is so important I still have no idea) hate me and want me to lose my job'. Neither of which were true - we just wanted her to do her job better, like she had in the past. She made it sound so irrational and deranged, instead of the carefully considered points put over a long time by former fans who felt let down, disillusioned and frankly mislead on occasion.
I agree with Pineapple Queen that the Victoria Beckham stuff (which was shortly before her video) seems to have been part of the problem.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Trying to protect the vulnerable in society from carelessness isn’t grappling for righteousness by any metric.
Exactly. And though Sali's visit was probably perfectly safe for all involved, she has promoted the idea that visiting restaurants/pubs is the decent thing to do to help a struggling business. Even if a handful of her many thousands of followers copy her surely she can see that this was ill judged?
Calling someone 'mental and tragic' for being worried by her actions isn't helping.

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
Also agree with the above - her use of mental and nervo are really not on. I have lost close family due to the reality of these things and it hurts seeing her use them so flippantly.
I had a close family member attempt suicide a couple of years ago. Fortunately their attempt was unsuccessful and they got the help they needed afterwards and are in a much better place now, but hearing people drop words like 'mental' and 'nervo' into conversation like it's nothing both upsets and angers me.

• Sad

Disillusioned

VIP Member
I cannot get over the way she responded to a frontline worker who was expressing her totally valid feelings: “Ha. I get it.” WTF?? No, Sali, you cannot possibly “get it”. None of us who are not on the frontline can. But we can avoid being dismissive dicks.

E1CABDBD-A908-426F-90E6-5613397BA001.jpeg

• Sad
  • Heart

MakkaPakka

VIP Member
Ah, less plastic, right...shame it doesn't seem to matter when it comes to silly make-up packaging.

I just did a clear out of my room and discovered a huge pile of makeup, lipsticks, etc that I bought in the height of my following SH. Do I feel empowered by buying piles of lipsticks? No, I feel utterly ashamed at how I justified such unnecessary spending
Don't be ashamed. Many of us have been there (I think?! Well I have for sure. Not lipsticks, but other expensive make-up and skincare items I believed I needed).

melfish

VIP Member
Don’t hate me fellow Tattlers .......

I’ve bought the new Estée Lauder foundation and am already in love , I’d marry it .

I’ll get me coat.

#beeninfluencedbysali
How you were able to select the right shade. I hear it's an esoteric skill few possess

• Haha

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
Everyone just has the same Tight, aggressive, duck face.
I noticed this too. So many surly (but pouty) expressions. What I do think is a shame is how injectables are rarely good from all angles, so women's faces are created to look good pouting straight/3 quarters on, but in reality very odd from other angles (see Madonna, Kylie J for examples).

There was a study too (maybe Harvard but I can't remember) which looked at empathy, which is conveyed through mirroring micro facial expressions. These micro expressions are lost with injectables, so studying children and mothers with pumped faces it was discovered that the children have less empathy because they don't learn to read the micro expressions. That's chilling.

• Wow
  • Sad

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
I also love makeup but I don't pretend that it's a feminist tool. I like clothes and jewellery too but guess what, they're also not feminist tools. And every beauty journo who trots out that story acts like it's some groundbreaking revelation.

• Heart

rosemarina

VIP Member
The next few months are going to be weird. I assume the influencers won’t be able to get their botox and fillers for a while?

• Haha

ProudNose

No one shall ever forget while our brave healthcare workers fought to save us dear Sali debated the merits of sourdough on Twitter.

• Haha

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
It is going to be wierd. Plus the appetite for lots of expensive products will drop I think. All seems a bit irrelevant when you are worrying about how/when you can just get the bare essentials and pay bills if you aren't working.
Influencers flashy lifestyles with all their freebies will look increasingly tone deaf.
i think this could well be the demise of the influencer culture, nobody really gives a crap about perfume and makeup launches when they are struggling with life and loved ones. The big beauty brands must have been making billions the past few years, they should be able to weather the storm and you would think still be able to pay their staff something if business is paused. Bit like Branson, personally worth $4 billion but making his staff take unpaid leave and asking for a Govt bailout.

that Estee Laundry piece is the pits.

Reactions: 12