Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

GTL Old-Timer

VIP Member
I am as pale as the bathroom tiles in my house and if anyone told me to fake-tan, I'd tell them to do one.

On the subject of Sali's g-d awful writing, (it's utter shite) she might want to take note of George Orwell's (ya know, an ACTUAL proper writer) guide to writing well:

Screenshot 2020-03-08 at 14.57.40.png

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I suppose it is utterly futile to point out again that free #presssamples are still an #AD under the ASA rules.

I really am boring myself now.

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
The part about her sons former teacher finding the posts here. How did her sons PE teacher feel when he got slagged in an article on The Pool? And since when do teachers skip into school telling people to kind? Teachers are there to teach practical matters, not dole out life lessons

• Wow

melfish

VIP Member
This 'we should out them' business. Like...what are you going to do? Call my office and tell them I was, anonymously, in a way entirely unconnected to the company, mean about someone who sells make up on the internet?

Honestly, go for it. It's quite a boring office. It might brighten the day.
The self-importance is staggering. It's all very, DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? "i'M SaLi HuGheS aNd I sHiLl sHiT oN tHe InTeRnEt 🤪"

• Haha

Mokie

Chatty Member
Seems odd to have a long winded conversation with her assistant Lauren on Twitter, surely she sees her most days and doesn’t she live in a granny flat in SH’s house?

• Haha

rosemarina

VIP Member
Of course the hairdressers charging extortionate amounts (for those that aren't having #presstreatments which are therefore pushing up the prices for everyone else :mad: ) are shitting themselves and urging people not to dye or cut their own hair. Probably because a lot of people will find out they can do their own hair perfectly well thank you and for a miniscule fraction of the cost. Who the hell is going to fritter away £300 or more on a haircut at Hershesons (sp?) even when this is all over? People will rightfully be timid and wary in case this bloody thing comes back. And a lot of people's finances will have changed for the worse.
And I'm really not sure I am comfortable with this awful time being used as an excuse to advertise her own hairdresser. Again.
I do think we should complain to the Guardian about this, because it’s so fucking immoral, them giving her a platform to advertise them undeclared. The Guardian is broke though; maybe Hershesons threw them a little sweetener?

Carefree

VIP Member
I don't understand why she even bothers replying to things she already wrote or knows 🙄

Her snide, uncouth comments just make her look worse, which is a feat in itself, and gets a lot of people's backs up.

Also, I shall smear my Smashbox lip gloss whilst staying at home. So whistle, Sali.

• Haha

IndominusRex

VIP Member
It's my birthday at the weekend and instead of going out for a nice meal I'll be in my 12 weeks social distancing seeing as I'm asthmatic. The lovely tapas place round the corner has started doing take away though so hopefully we'll be able to do that and have a nice meal at home. There are loads of ways she could have helped the bsuiness instead of going out.

• Heart

Brian Butterfield

VIP Member
Referring to the Primark cleanser: "But it does its job extremely well on a minimum wage". How much more condescending and patronising can she be?
At this present time (as well as the medical profession obviously) the people currently keeping the country going are the supermarket retail staff, putting themselves at massive risk and doing so while on that minimum wage that Sali sneers at.

As for the 'Cathedral City' cheddar, I've got a block of Aldi cheddar in my fridge at the moment and lucky to have any cheese at all with all the shortages.
She's an incredible snob.

Badabing101

VIP Member
It’s like some weird meta universe, where she’s talking to tattle (but not really - honestly) via twitter to let the trolls (usI take it) know that she knows, that we know that she knows.

• Haha

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
Thing is, we're constantly being told our skin needs ALL THE PRODUCTS -
Completely agree. I can remember that being a bit thing in her forum too, particularly in regards to make up. People constantly quoting "And I wore ALL the make up"

Honestly when I look back at GTL and SHB, the amount of brainwashing is actually unbelievable.
People were probably (literally) almost bankrupting themselves while Sali was getting all of her 'recommendations' for nothing.
I actually remember one lady flying over from a different country just to get her hair cut at Hershesons.

• Wow

slugella

VIP Member
I haven't been on this thread for a while just caught up and gosh you guys crack me up 😂 ❤

I think that's why she has gotten so worked up over the threads on here. The fact that everyone has her sussed, and what is said here is actually intelligent and backed up with evidence of her own words from tweets, articles, comments etc. Surely if you just found it all silly, untrue and pathetic you wouldn't let it bother you? I don't see any other influencer kicking up as much of a fuss about their threads.

And lol at CH of all people calling people out for not disclosing.

• Heart
  • Haha

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
Absolute silence from Ms. Hughes about the retail staff who work for her ITBW chums not being allowed to self isolate and threatened with dismissal for doing so according to Estee Laundry. (Sales staff for Tilbury, Trish McEvoy etc)

Estee Laundry is/are better journalist/s than SH will ever be. I'm keeping a mental note of brands I'll be buying from after this (deciem early on committed to full staff paid leave) and those that have 'allegedly (but pretty obviously) been treating staff like shit. (Spacenk, Selfridges, Harvey Nicks)

Last edited:
  • Wow

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
The Estée Lauder Futurist Hydra Rescue content today (and a few mentions recently when asked for recommendations) on Sali’s channel goes right to the heart of a huge issue with influencer marketing and culture.

Understandably an influencer wants the product to look as good as possible for the brand so it sells. It’s an ad, they say. No different to what you would see in a magazine.

Yes ok I get that. But here’s the thing. When I see Kendall Jenner in the Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation ad in store or in Vogue, I *know* it’s not reality. I know what I’m being sold.

But the influencer who sets up forums and Facebook groups, who says they are a journalist, whose USP by their own design is being honest and transparent? It’s a different ball game, and *we* are being set up as the bad guys for not playing by the rules. Because we are refusing to turn a blind eye to what is really going on in order for that transaction to take place.

So then what I struggle with is the lack of dialogue to explore these and other influencer issues, especially by people who fill that curious space of someone who has another expertise and has entered the influencer arena to take advantage of the financial incentives. When it suits, they will act as if they are with you - guiding, advising, sharing knowledge in a conspiratorial manner. It’s this duplicity that is a part of what people are pushing back at, I think. Or me, at least.
Yes and yes. This (going back to dark ages when threads on her began here) was what posters were wary of. The murky area between jolly friend on FB, and influencer selling you stuff in the guise of the jolly friend and making a living from you. I'm like a stuck record on this but I only started to notice it when she kept wearing Whistles on FB, people did likewise and then she declared she had a 40% discount from Whistles. Now influencer culture was in it's infancy back then, and people were incredibly naive about the soft sell and how you buying something she recommended rewarded her. It didn't make her a bad person obviously but surely people were allowed to question the 'honest' element to recommendations?

Disillusioned

VIP Member
Sali and Lauren are ON ONE on Twitter. It does very much seem to be just the two of them, chatting to each other...

It’s not terribly coherent, but they seem to be attempting to defend their bullying behaviour on Twitter on the grounds that they didn’t know any better at the time. 🤔

CF6B0430-61AF-4B4F-806D-6F7E4633125E.jpeg
F226C35C-E2E5-41C7-857F-B478ECF0C73A.jpeg
63FF374E-2090-471E-9D1B-91004F2B7EF4.jpeg
398E3B68-68C1-4CC6-B766-35F5875735EE.jpeg

Actually Sali’s line seems to be that only Lauren behaved badly on Twitter. Chivalrous of her.

• Haha

Wolf359

Chatty Member
She has no class. That’s the problem.
And I don’t mean that as a MC vs working class thing. My mum’s family are working class-done-good and they would never speak to people the way she does.