Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

rosemarina

VIP Member
Today’s column. Comparing the cost of a vegan cleanser to that of a block of cheddar seems... clankingly fuckwitted to me.

Oh, and! Later on in the same column, she makes reference to cracking an egg. Dick.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Surely there must be a procedure for applying to Beauty Banks Sali could direct that clearly desperate person to - rather than make them feel they are being an imposition and to try again on Monday. As I said - these are extraordinary times and weekends mean nothing really to a lot of people. My husband is out yet again assisting his caseload of vulnerable adults. And no doubt will be tomorrow.

GrunkaLunka

VIP Member
I also think that this dishonesty is a disgusting way to exploit (mostly) women's insecurities.
When you have an issue which bothers you, and someone claims to have found a miracle cure or product which will change your life, it hooks you in. She knows this. She makes money, knowing that she is selling us false hopes and dreams and it just makes me so angry.
She's not a beauty editor or whatever her job title currently is. She's an advertising board, a walking talking billboard for whichever company has paid her, sent her a freebie or is run by her mates.

notthefullshilling

Chatty Member
Then she says 'not at all!' and they'll help if they can - great, but why does she have to start off as above? The nice final reply feels a bit like gaslighting... Like questioning why the poor person is apologising at all. When the only reason they did is because SH responded in such a curt, off, weird, supercilious way.

Blahblahbuzzy

I'm confused why #presssamples don't count as ads? Surely if you are gifted something for free then advertise it's benefits to thousands of followers, they'll go buy it? Isn't it at least a grey area? I'm confused why people like Sali actually go out of their way to hashtag them not an ad. Surely it's kind of an ad? I found Tattle after Sali's Friday video and it really shocked me how much I'd been influenced into buying things I didn't need. I'm pretty ashamed of it really. Somehow it's easier to believe influencers like Sali rather than be swayed by actually adverts on the TV etc. I've had to unfollow quite a few of them now. It's really surprising too how many of them don't mark what is clearly advertising as an ad.

melfish

VIP Member
Do you think that was the pandemic "piece" she was referring to on twitter a few days ago? Surely not

I mean, I wasn't expecting an op-ed from her, but she made it sound like she was writing something of substance

• Wow
  • Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Wayne Goss did a good video about how beauty influencers use ring lights to sell foundation in particular

Racked covered it as well http://www.racked.com/platform/amp/2016/6/2/11828904/beauty-vlogger-youtube-ring-lights
Amazing - I never realised lighting made *that* much difference. More smoke and mirrors by influencers eager to make women feel insecure and pressured into buying stuff. What a horrible way to make a living.
Women support women my arse.

• Heart

slugella

VIP Member
Imagine Lisa Eldridge did the beauty column. I would subscribe if that were the case. Sali has tainted the whole paper for me 😂

There is so much conflict of interest with all of her brand deals. And as we have all said before its so different to how journalists also got free stuff in the pre-influencer days. Say an Elle journalist didn't write a rave review about an estee lauder product, it's not as if the brand would then refuse to give them any samples ever again. Whereas influencers clearly feel that they can't be honest if a product is not good.

How do the guardian not see this? And it makes me so mad now the comments are off no one can even show their true opinion. (I never left comments or read it much recently, just what is shared on here, but I know some readers did give constructive criticism which should be the case!)

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
Right. Latest column. Am I being really dim (probably yes) but I pay someone a monthly fee to talk about my skin?
Can't help thinking this column is possibly the most unhelpful and irrelevant ever.
Wait ...... Sssh, listen. What's that noise? Is that the bottom of a barrel I hear being scraped?

• Haha

rosemarina

VIP Member
@bottlewrapper was that at Hershesons? I went there to have my roots done, and I was quoted £90 ish (I know). On my way out they added another £60 - SIXTY QUID- for a blow dry. I’d only had my hair cut there the previous week, so I kind of flipped out and refused to pay for the blow dry. What a complete fucking scam.

I totally agree about how something inside snaps when you’re paying that much already and they charge you forward a cup of fucking coffee.

I never went back. Scam, scam, scam.

• Wow
  • Angry

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
When we start to come out the other side of this there’s going to be a lot of pressure from brands and then downstream from influencers about boosting the economy, supporting/creating jobs, not shaming people for how they want to spend their money etc. All well and good but not at the expense of poorly paid workers when the owners have become billionaires off the back of it.
And also hopefully cutting out the rather useless middleman/woman - the influencer. Who seem to serve no useful purpose other than to siphon off freebies and sponsorships no doubt pushing up the price for your average punter. And possibly keeping wages depressed for workers (that maybe is a stretch, granted).

• Heart

Raindropsonkittens

Chatty Member
Column today is predictable, bland & out of date. Presumably dialled in from Brighton when Lush was still open & offering handwashing. Plus Dove is not a soap it is a ‘beauty bar’ - their label as it contains too much moisturiser to classify as soap. How come a top beauty journo doesn’t know this?

Wobblehead

VIP Member
Why must she be like this? And make these poor people end up apologising to her for not using the exact words she would have liked?
I seriously dislike this woman now. There is something wrong with her. Can she not read what she writes and realise that actually she is downright vile