Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't comprehend how knowing how to cut a fringe is a good "life skill" but cutting ones own hair is a bad idea. Don't they fall into the same category? A trim is straightforward. I wouldn't attempt to give myself a feathered, layered cut or something but I can do a trim myself at home.

And didn't she previously make a big song and dance about how the Guardian never pressured her into anything and she'd walk if they did?

As for the bright lip (the singular again, argh) in dark times, yes it's so embarrassing. It's the same as how Sali kept selling red lipstick as a feminist tool. It really really isn't

It's disgraceful how rude she was to that person tweeting. As was very accurately pointed out, Beauty Banks is just a PR stunt, no more.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I don't think Beauty Banks is a PR stunt but she definitely leverages it for positivity against anything negative said about her. That Tweet is so needlessly snippy I really don't understand how she never gets called out on it.

Reactions: 9
I thought that 'contacts' was the whole point of Beauty Banks. Isn't it based on SH and JJ leveraging their contacts with beauty brands and PRs (and, before the pandemic, their large number of social media followers) to donate supplies?
Mm yes that is what I thought too. How can they operate otherwise?
And I'm still baffled why they can't get the wheels in motion for that person this weekend - she didn't even say to email now and they'll try to get it processed for delivery on Monday. Really weekends are largely irrelevant at the moment aren't they?

Reactions: 11
Imagine Lisa Eldridge did the beauty column. I would subscribe if that were the case. Sali has tainted the whole paper for me 😂

There is so much conflict of interest with all of her brand deals. And as we have all said before its so different to how journalists also got free stuff in the pre-influencer days. Say an Elle journalist didn't write a rave review about an estee lauder product, it's not as if the brand would then refuse to give them any samples ever again. Whereas influencers clearly feel that they can't be honest if a product is not good.

How do the guardian not see this? And it makes me so mad now the comments are off no one can even show their true opinion. (I never left comments or read it much recently, just what is shared on here, but I know some readers did give constructive criticism which should be the case!)

Reactions: 12
Are these columns written by real people or some algorithm containing every cliche about makeup?
And who are we defying with makeup in 2020? Take that, collapsed lung! Ha! No transfer on my protective mask!

I love makeup, l o v e it! And have heirloom pieces to prove it, but come on, is there at least some thought behind what they write, if we can't expect an original one?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Like a bold lip is going to protect you against COVID 🙄
It will tremble before your greatness and fearlessness. Droplets of people's saliva containing it will evaporate before it even reaches your face. Latest research showed that the amount of red pigment is in direct correlation with your ability to resist it, and women who wear lip gloss are much more at risk.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
As for the bright lip (the singular again, argh) in dark times, yes it's so embarrassing. It's the same as how Sali kept selling red lipstick as a feminist tool. It really really isn't
That this keeps being trotted out shows how far from being useful or feminist the beauty industry is. Women are not here to be decorative. A red lip might make you feel 'better' while you're making your husband's dinner, but as far as is being a 'symbol of defiance'...yeah, whatever. A red lip is neither defiant nor a symbol of a defiance. That's why men aren't constantly exhorted to also 'wear a red lip'. A red lip is a symbol of a woman who spends too much time looking into a mirror, when she could be doing useful things and getting on with her LIFE.

Reactions: 5
She’s an hole ; rude and dismissive yet with such a high opinion of herself.

Unbelievable.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I see one of her Cornwall trip blue tick besties Shireen is having a sly go at Matt Haig (he way well be a tit-I don't really care). SH has liked the tweet and also India's response. Yet more bleeping hypocrisy. Fine for them to criticise folk on a massive platform like twitter as long as the do a blind item!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
F
Apparently ‘fringe cut’ was written under duress 🤔
So basically it all lies then is it Sali ? Like so much other dross you write each week. It's so true isnt it that paper never refuses ink?

And some damage limitation done right there to protect the free hair cuts & colours 🙄

• Sick
I don't understand why she even bothers replying to things she already wrote or knows 🙄

Her snide, uncouth comments just make her look worse, which is a feat in itself, and gets a lot of people's backs up.

Also, I shall smear my Smashbox lip gloss whilst staying at home. So whistle, Sali.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
That Tweet is so needlessly snippy I really don't understand how she never gets called out on it.
Because, it seems, if she is ever called out she dismisses it as trolling (e.g. her response to the criticism of her appearing to promote eating out a week or so ago).

Imagine writing a column in the beauty section of a paper and telling readers about red lipstick being handed out during the war. Do you think ANYONE reading hasn't heard that story a thousand times.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
That this keeps being trotted out shows how far from being useful or feminist the beauty industry is. Women are not here to be decorative. A red lip might make you feel 'better' while you're making your husband's dinner, but as far as is being a 'symbol of defiance'...yeah, whatever. A red lip is neither defiant nor a symbol of a defiance. That's why men aren't constantly exhorted to also 'wear a red lip'. A red lip is a symbol of a woman who spends too much time looking into a mirror, when she could be doing useful things and getting on with her LIFE.
Exactly! Men are never told to cheer up the country by changing their appearance.

I also love makeup but I don't pretend that it's a feminist tool. I like clothes and jewellery too but guess what, they're also not feminist tools. And every beauty journo who trots out that story acts like it's some groundbreaking revelation.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
View attachment 101151
More unnecessary curt snippiness

‘ Yay! I’m so glad it worked for you. Happy when tips I’ve written help people. ‘

There you go Sali. I’ve fixed that response for you. (Still getting to be superior about having written the tip in question. But hopefully not making someone feel tit)

Does she not realise engagement is the true influencer currency? It’s what drives brands to work with her.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.