Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A column on the (basic) science of how soap kills the virus, what other detergents you can use (someone above asked about shampoo) and hints and tips for hand skin health while washing frequently would have been fine.

Or just an otherwise blank page with

WASH YOUR HANDS

in the middle could have been effective. Perhaps with additional useful information in smaller script below.

I found this article really helpful with the hand washing and personal care side of things. I know there’s so much writing around, but this reassured me a bit (and it was checked over by the writer’s doctors):

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I can't comprehend how knowing how to cut a fringe is a good "life skill" but cutting ones own hair is a bad idea. Don't they fall into the same category? A trim is straightforward. I wouldn't attempt to give myself a feathered, layered cut or something but I can do a trim myself at home.

And didn't she previously make a big song and dance about how the Guardian never pressured her into anything and she'd walk if they did?

As for the bright lip (the singular again, argh) in dark times, yes it's so embarrassing. It's the same as how Sali kept selling red lipstick as a feminist tool. It really really isn't
Seriously? A red lip as defiance 🤪 I lose IQ points just reading that sentence. Do these people believe their own bullshit? Read it back to yourself before you hit send. Think about what you are actually saying. Think about anything ffs. Read a philosophy book. Get a grip. Influencers do not live in the real world

• Heart
Reactions: 6
A column on the (basic) science of how soap kills the virus, what other detergents you can use (someone above asked about shampoo) and hints and tips for hand skin health while washing frequently would have been fine.

Or just an otherwise blank page with

WASH YOUR HANDS

in the middle could have been effective. Perhaps with additional useful information in smaller script below.

I found this article really helpful with the hand washing and personal care side of things. I know there’s so much writing around, but this reassured me a bit (and it was checked over by the writer’s doctors):

That's an excellent article.

Reactions: 5
The desperate Heresehons advertorial to secure her continued freebies. The hide of her. I bet she discussed it with him prior too. This crisis will make it clear to anyone still under their spell that influencers are just in-your-face cogs in the capitalist wheel. They serve no useful purpose beyond that. In the wake of all this devastation, are they just going to continue making vacuous videos about the latest product designed to separate you from your money? Would they dare?

Did that Guardian writer really draw on wartime propaganda to flog high-end lipstick as somehow essential?

• Angry
Reactions: 11
The desperate Heresehons advertorial to secure her continued freebies. The hide of her. I bet she discussed it with him prior too. This crisis will make it clear to anyone still under their spell that influencers are just in-your-face cogs in the capitalist wheel. They serve no useful purpose beyond that. In the wake of all this devastation, are they just going to continue making vacuous videos about the latest product designed to separate you from your money? Would they dare?
You have to sort of admire the absolute brass neck of her to drag in an upmarket establishment only available to a handful of people - and try to make it relevant in a pandemic when people are panicking about having enough food and bog roll or even a job.
And yes I can imagine her apologising to him for writing something she admits she doesn't agree with (which in itself leaves many unanswered questions) - trimming your own hair. Wouldn't want to upset the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Do you think that was the pandemic "piece" she was referring to on twitter a few days ago? Surely not

I mean, I wasn't expecting an op-ed from her, but she made it sound like she was writing something of substance

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Trimming your own fringe should never be done but Sali has had to do it for others "dozens of times". Obviously.

I can't be arsed to do the deep research required but despite her explaining how to do it under duress, I'm pretty sure she's written about cutting your own fringe before. It sounded familiar. Maybe she hasn't and maybe that it's familiar cause it's pretty obvious to anyone who has hair that has ever been cut. And if not then I'd probably, I dunnah, Google it.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
She has and I don't get what the problem is. I mean, obviously Hershesons advise against doing so, but let's face it, what's the worst that could happen? A wonky fringe? There are worse things in life, ESPECIALLY now. I've been cutting mine for ages (but then I really hate going to the hairdresser's, haven't been in about a year - I'm no insta-worthy for sure).

Btw what happend to her going grey?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
"Life skill". Right up there with knowing CPR and how to write a CV

• Haha
Reactions: 7
She did an article on how best to look after a fringe (washing it under the tap and how to blow dry it to sit nicely), and to be fair that was brilliant. I used it a lot in my days of a full fringe.

Reactions: 3
Btw what happend to her going grey?
No idea where I read it but she recently said she may bleach her hair as she can tolerate it.
I'm sure she said about 2 years ago she would be going grey? Of course her choice obviously but seems an extreme reaction to deal with a few grey hairs. But each to their own.

In the wake of all this devastation, are they just going to continue making vacuous videos about the latest product designed to separate you from your money? Would they dare?
There's more chance of the virus turning into vitamin C than them not flogging tit.

• Haha
  • Sad
Guess I'll just wait for her to wheel out the film critic analogy to justify it 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Guess I'll just wait for her to wheel out the film critic analogy to justify it 🤷‍♀️
The film critic comparison is curious and I have no idea why she thinks they are at all similar. Film critics aren't paid by film companies either in money or in kind to say only positive things. If they are then my apologies to SH as the analogy is spot on.

Hi, been reading for a while but this is my first post.

just spotted this on Twitter. Seems Beauty Banks might not be behaving entirely charitably
BF91F019-E856-4678-A0A0-9A11A0E27544.png
BF91F019-E856-4678-A0A0-9A11A0E27544.png
D24598C7-A743-4A32-BF9E-0B4E360502D5.png

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
In lieu of lockdowned supermarket popcorn I shall get the old mushrooms ready :m :m :m

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.