Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A complete contrast to Megan Ellaby who recently worked with her hairdresser to show how to trim your own fringe. She does get free treatments though I think.
Yep! There are a couple of guys from Hershesons called ‘TheHairbros’ on insta and they are so good. I actually think they are game changing - they just want people to have good hair and are very generous with their tips, tricks, what works, what doesn’t and what to ask for when you go to the hair dressers. Definitely worth checking out. I had my hair cut by Nick a few months ago as a massive treat and it was a great haircut. I’ve stopped colouring my hair regularly (last time I had it done was August) as I am growing my grey in. My hairdresser up here is such a good colourist and she’s fully advocating people to dump the root tints and have a more lived in manageable and affordable approach to hair maintenance (if that’s what the client wants). Anyway I’m a low maintenance hair person and the hairbros aesthetic is completely up my street x

I’m a bottle blonde , I can’t risk a diy job but I am going to buy that root touch up stuff .
It’s really good :)

Reactions: 4
Perfect explanation Tesla's Ghost!! Thanks a million! I will now go forth boldly with my task!

Reactions: 2
I do think we should complain to the Guardian about this, because it’s so bleeping immoral, them giving her a platform to advertise them undeclared. The Guardian is broke though; maybe Hershesons threw them a little sweetener?
Good point. She maybe had to fulfil her amount of mentions of them. So bloody shady. Do the Guardian seriously not give a tit or moniter what their writers promote?
@Tesla's Ghost such a good post. Thank you. I am dim I know but didn't cotton on at all to using a box dye for two root dyes. Like you I get the cheapest, quite often Poundland has Revlon or Clairol etc. Whole head dye is cheaper than specific root dye for some reason. I have very dark hair with a few grey bits and keep thinking I should just go grey. But vanity no doubt keeps me dying. It makes me feel fresher.

Reactions: 5
For years I believed the hairdresser hype, paying 300-odd quid a visit for a full head of highlights, cut (which had to be a blowdry, salon rules). I couldn't really afford it, and couldn't afford to tip - it used to be nigh on impossible to get an appointment, and I never made the link between not tipping and my stylist always being 'busy'...

The cut used to drive me mad because the stylist felt obliged to take the full hour, despite it behind the simplest straight across with a fringe. Between the highlights and the cut, it was a full afternoon. Oh, and they charged for fringe trims.

Stylist always maintained it wasn't possible to get a decent blonde with an all over tint (home or salon), highlights were the only way, obvs because he made the most from highlights.

Final straw came when I was charged £2.50 on top of the 300 for a cup of (instant) coffee.

A lot of deep googling later and I'd taught myself about hair colour shades, ordered some professional colours and started doing it myself... and it actually looks better because I don't get the black roots while I'm waiting for an appointment.

Cost? prob around £6 a time.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
For years I believed the hairdresser hype, paying 300-odd quid a visit for a full head of highlights, cut (which had to be a blowdry, salon rules). I couldn't really afford it, and couldn't afford to tip - it used to be nigh on impossible to get an appointment, and I never made the link between not tipping and my stylist always being 'busy'...

The cut used to drive me mad because the stylist felt obliged to take the full hour, despite it behind the simplest straight across with a fringe. Between the highlights and the cut, it was a full afternoon. Oh, and they charged for fringe trims.

Stylist always maintained it wasn't possible to get a decent blonde with an all over tint (home or salon), highlights were the only way, obvs because he made the most from highlights.

Final straw came when I was charged £2.50 on top of the 300 for a cup of (instant) coffee.

A lot of deep googling later and I'd taught myself about hair colour shades, ordered some professional colours and started doing it myself... and it actually looks better because I don't get the black roots while I'm waiting for an appointment.

Cost? prob around £6 a time.
This sounds amazing - and I totally relate to the not tipping because it’s already so extortionate and unaffordable. Would love to hear a bit more about how you give yourself more of a highlighted look if you wouldn’t mind sharing? I’ve never dared do it before but as I have weeks ahead I’m going to give it a try.
And Tesla’s ghost - thank you for tips! Very useful - might give the waxing a try next time I’m feeling brave!

@bottlewrapper was that at Hershesons? I went there to have my roots done, and I was quoted £90 ish (I know). On my way out they added another £60 - SIXTY QUID- for a blow dry. I’d only had my hair cut there the previous week, so I kind of flipped out and refused to pay for the blow dry. What a complete bleeping scam.

I totally agree about how something inside snaps when you’re paying that much already and they charge you forward a cup of bleeping coffee.

I never went back. Scam, scam, scam.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
might give the waxing a try next time I’m feeling brave!
Just make sure it's cooled down! :D I even did my armpits several times, but you have to pull your skin with the same hand you're waxing, so that's a bit harder. I really do strange things to myself. I'll stop here. :LOL:

Reactions: 1
Never miss an opportunity to mention that it is just Sali (and those few other minor helpers) running things.

Reactions: 8
Why must she be like this? And make these poor people end up apologising to her for not using the exact words she would have liked?
I seriously dislike this woman now. There is something wrong with her. Can she not read what she writes and realise that actually she is downright vile

But hasn't she already said she has lots of contacts through her charity?
And this is really petty but why Monday? Weekends don't mean a great deal now do they? To a lot of people anyway.

Reactions: 10
@bottlewrapper was that at Hershesons? I went there to have my roots done, and I was quoted £90 ish (I know). On my way out they added another £60 - SIXTY QUID- for a blow dry. I’d only had my hair cut there the previous week, so I kind of flipped out and refused to pay for the blow dry. What a complete bleeping scam.

I totally agree about how something inside snaps when you’re paying that much already and they charge you forward a cup of bleeping coffee.

I never went back. Scam, scam, scam.
Years ago I used to go to a hairdresser that never cut my hair how I really liked it, I always felt intimidated and he charged a fortune. The final straw came when he charged me £20 for my babies first hair cut!!!! I was recommended a friend of a friend who comes to the house and cuts mine my OH and my child’s hair for £30. Add in a colour every third cut and it’s £50. She is mad, we love all the same crap TV so chat chat chat all the while. I have panic attacks at the thought of her giving up hairdressing!!

Let’s not forget ; Sali the long time Festival goer 😁😁, been going for years , since the Stones did it for a pint of milk decades ago .

She’s a cold , snippy and superior hole.

She portrays herself as a selfless charity provider but she lacks warmth and empathy.

Attachments

Why must she be like this? And make these poor people end up apologising to her for not using the exact words she would have liked?
That is horrible. Why couldn't she dm the woman and get the details that she sniffily wanted emailed, and then publicly put that she's dm'd her. Appreciate that there might be a specific way to put requests into her charity, but if she doesn't want people asking...why put yourself forward as the public figureheard? Just bloody rude. Someone who calls themselves a journalist should have a better grasp of conveying feeling through language...

Surely there must be a procedure for applying to Beauty Banks Sali could direct that clearly desperate person to - rather than make them feel they are being an imposition and to try again on Monday. As I said - these are extraordinary times and weekends mean nothing really to a lot of people. My husband is out yet again assisting his caseload of vulnerable adults. And no doubt will be tomorrow.

Then she says 'not at all!' and they'll help if they can - great, but why does she have to start off as above? The nice final reply feels a bit like gaslighting... Like questioning why the poor person is apologising at all. When the only reason they did is because SH responded in such a curt, off, weird, supercilious way.

And hair... I use Wella illumina, it's a 'tone on tone' colour so it's not as flat, and then I only do the roots, never the ends - they fade a bit, so they end up being slightly lighter. Make sure you understand how the colour numbers work and the activator percentages, don't go too drastic at first - think of it as a gradually evolving process and stick with the same brand even if you do change colour. You can also do a lot with professional toners with regards tweaking the tone of the colour (making it warmer/cooler). You can buy it all from Sally Hair and Beauty.

You can always ask your hairdresser what colour numbers they use on you, but they tend not to give this out and will drone on about caramels, chocolate etc etc...

Reactions: 1
Surely there must be a procedure for applying to Beauty Banks Sali could direct that clearly desperate person to - rather than make them feel they are being an imposition and to try again on Monday. As I said - these are extraordinary times and weekends mean nothing really to a lot of people. My husband is out yet again assisting his caseload of vulnerable adults. And no doubt will be tomorrow.
Virtual hugs @Jelly Bean, my husband is home at the moment, but he's a key worker too and selfish as it may sound, my anxiety is ramped up because of it :cry:

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.