Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been disappointed in Funmi Fetto’s column in general. It seems very press-release based and far removed from non-industry people’s real lives.
Same here. "I can't live without"...really? I think you can. And billions of people in the world do and they're fine.
I enjoy make-up and skincare. But it's not larger than life.

And I'm no less bold or brave just because I don't wear "a red lip".

Reactions: 10
Not Sali related, but beauty/influencer related. They seem to be sharing a lot of products they've been sent for free still. Emma Gannon just shared hand creams from weleda. A little tone deaf I feel at a time when people are panicking about making ends meet, unable to find items in stock, or even have the time to shop if a key worker.. Donations to people who actually need it would be so much better. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 14
It will be super interesting to see, generally, where the beauty world goes with all this. Let’s face it, for the vast majority of us beefy incels who never got anything #kindlygifted, we won’t be splashing out big money on beauty products. Not right now and not for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 13
Plus, and I can only speak for myself, staying at home means I've been able to look at the sheer amount of beauty products and realising how much money has been wasted. Very few products are worth the labels or cost and paying to subside influencers doesn't appeal.

Reactions: 17
I regret 90% of the makeup purchases (though none of them are high end!) as I wear the same stuff every single day. I’m donating some of my unused beauty stuff to a homeless charity. The rest I’m going to actually focus on using as part of self care rather than the weird hoarding I was doing of it all (I’m still going into work as it’s an essential service, and it’s quite a draining time!). For me personally, it’ll make me evaluate what’s actually a worthwhile spend for me and what was totally pointless, which I hope will curb my spending again. I spent a couple of years renovating a house, as a first time buyer with no skills or knowledge I walked blindly into a house that needed a lot of work without realising it at the time. We had no money and we moved into my in laws house with 2 weeks worth of items, putting everything else into storage. I couldn’t afford to buy anything that wasn’t essential. It made me realise how little I needed, but most of my bad spending habits have crept back in again. I’m hoping to put an end to that once and for all this time around! Though I am a little grateful for my stockpiling of my usual products (tend to stock up in Superdrug when the offers are on!), because I don’t really want to be buying my cleanser at the moment when businesses need to focus on selling essentials.

Reactions: 11
This gets even better... Aren't we supposed to be doing our hair and makeup for ourselves? Or to defy The Man? Get through this horrible time?
So cutting fringe= totally fine and a valuable life skill but for wanting to trim your split ends you're a saddo as no one is gonna be looking at your beefy self anyway? Sali on Twitter really is the gift that keeps on giving

• Haha
Reactions: 16
It was odd femi described a blush colour as 'nude beige' considering her interview with sali repeating that there is obvs no one 'nude' colour. She didnt even include 1 token budget option for us plebs and ignored various guardian columns about how 'blitz spirit' was propaganda and pr.

Can covid19 stick easier to lipstick or to skin? If the virus is in your hair is a key worker wearing a fringe risking it coming into contact with eyes more often? Hire labmuffin for the column or be done with it

Reactions: 6
Going to wield my scissors tonight to trim my hair in "defiance" of all those influencers who think I am too idiotic to carry out a basic trim. Might even put a slash of bright lip on my beefy visage too, my suffragette sisters would be proud

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Going to wield my scissors tonight to trim my hair in "defiance" of all those influencers who think I am too idiotic to carry out a basic trim. Might even put a slash of bright lip on my beefy visage too, my suffragette sisters would be proud
Even Brad Mondo has put out a video on how to trim your own (albeit only straight) hair at home now! :)

Reactions: 3
It will be super interesting to see, generally, where the beauty world goes with all this. Let’s face it, for the vast majority of us beefy incels who never got anything #kindlygifted, we won’t be splashing out big money on beauty products. Not right now and not for the foreseeable future.
It will be interesting. I suspect that is why there is a ramping up by these influencers to convince us beauty products and experts are still vital. Hence Sali's admitted reluctance to include DIY haircare. Their sponsorships and freebies must be dwindling rapidly, with no sign of recovery any time soon.

Sort of related I was watching QVC the other day and it was almost laughable how increasingly desperate the presenters were to make products relevant eg a £50 leg gel would make 'a wonderful gift for a key or NHS worker' and Sketchers trainers 'perfect for wearing in the house'.
Spending lots of money on non essentials seems like something from a bygone era.

Reactions: 15
It will be interesting. I suspect that is why there is a ramping up by these influencers to convince us beauty products and experts are still vital. Hence Sali's admitted reluctance to include DIY haircare. Their sponsorships and freebies must be dwindling rapidly, with no sign of recovery any time soon.

Sort of related I was watching QVC the other day and it was almost laughable how increasingly desperate the presenters were to make products relevant eg a £50 leg gel would make 'a wonderful gift for a key or NHS worker' and Sketchers trainers 'perfect for wearing in the house'.
Spending lots of money on non essentials seems like something from a bygone era.
All of this, also that a lot of these fast fashion and beauty behemoths are often owned and run by billionaires, and it’s now plain as day they are sitting on their hands and totally unwilling to dip into their pockets to protect their minimum wage workers on the frontline. Or if they are helping it’s the equivalent of the average person parting with a fiver. Not to the mention the fact these huge companies have been doing everything possible to pay barely any tax, for a long time. Or even operating their underpaid workers pension schemes with huge deficits (like at Topshop). I do hope memories last and we collectively kick this behaviour to the kerb.

When we start to come out the other side of this there’s going to be a lot of pressure from brands and then downstream from influencers about boosting the economy, supporting/creating jobs, not shaming people for how they want to spend their money etc. All well and good but not at the expense of poorly paid workers when the owners have become billionaires off the back of it.

Rant over!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
When we start to come out the other side of this there’s going to be a lot of pressure from brands and then downstream from influencers about boosting the economy, supporting/creating jobs, not shaming people for how they want to spend their money etc. All well and good but not at the expense of poorly paid workers when the owners have become billionaires off the back of it.
And also hopefully cutting out the rather useless middleman/woman - the influencer. Who seem to serve no useful purpose other than to siphon off freebies and sponsorships no doubt pushing up the price for your average punter. And possibly keeping wages depressed for workers (that maybe is a stretch, granted).

• Heart
Reactions: 12
So how long before she complains that the beefy skidders are still bitching* about her even in the midst of a global pandemic?

* ie attempting to hold her to account/puzzling over her ethics/sharing tips.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
The more I think of that bright lip defiance comment by Fenmi, the more annoyed I get. If a bright lip, dark lip, no lip, whatever, cheers you up, that's great. Everyone should take mood boosters where they can. But to call it an act of defiance is utterly ridiculous. It's a pandemic that has turned our world upside down, defiance against it has not worked out so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
I expect next week's column to offer wartime tips like drawing a line down the back of your calf with eye pencil to mimic stockings. Or using beetroot juice as lipstick and blusher. Been doing that for years and years.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.