Running Instagrammers #3 Worn-out sell-outs.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He’s definitely a sucker who has been pulled in by the tripe that Welshtits has spouted!

Reactions: 1
Hear hear!

No one needs two interval sessions, a tempo run and a long run workout in the same week. Week 5 of a marathon plan no less! Arghhh her and Bester just do my head in, honestly 🤯
Err... well I do. But I don't know this girl and how injury prone she is or what her usual mileage etc is. I run about 70 miles a week and am - touch wood - pretty robust against injuries so it's all relative. All I'm saying I guess - without knowing anything about her! - is that that schedule isn't insane IF (and I appreciate that's a big IF) it's applied to teh right person.

The bleeping STATE of this bleep. “The legend returns”?!? duck outta here you bleeping yokel
I figured this and giving him the benefit of doubt checked Strava. He reclaimed a local legend on a segment.

So much like a crap joke, if you have to explain the context of your IG post for it to make sense… you need to try harder first time round.

I've heard that RTTS is THE influencer ultra. The start line is selfie city and a friend of mine who did it said that she started near the back, and passed so many people doing full on photoshoots in the first few miles. She also heard that most had dropped out by half way and said there were so many of them in tears at aid stations cause they had no idea what they were doing and clearly had not trained correctly.
Is that because it seems one of the more accessible/beginner suitable?
In my mind, before I had even seriously considered an ultra RttS was the one I had as a potential. It seems much more geared to a mass entry and people of all paces than a more serious & faster field of competitors.
Plus Threshold throw their ambassador statuses out all the time so it’s more well known?

Serious Ultras usually sell out with smaller fields?

I figured this and giving him the benefit of doubt checked Strava. He reclaimed a local legend on a segment.

So much like a crap joke, if you have to explain the context of your IG post for it to make sense… you need to try harder first time round.

In my mind, before I had even seriously considered an ultra RttS was the one I had as a potential. It seems much more geared to a mass entry and people of all paces than a more serious & faster field of competitors.
Plus Threshold throw their ambassador statuses out all the time so it’s more well known?

Typical given that Marco is so desperate to be picked up by any running company. Maybe it's his life goal? Surprising that he hasn't because he hangs on to most influencers and loves a bit of hairy dangling fudgie aswell

RTTS definitely is the influencer ultra. Each year more and more people claim to love that race in the lead up to it even though they have never done it. I do want to do it one day because I have walked some of that trail before. I remember Chubs doing the event a few times, but he seemed more obsessed with it. Endurance Life have really tough ultras throughout Devon along side events from 10k (at the same event.)

Also has anyone done any of the Maverick Race ultras? They look smaller than what RTTS is, but seem really good

Reactions: 3
Same I love them too I’ve done all the distances with them 5k to ultra

Love Maverick race. Not done an ultra but done a few of their longer and shorter events. Really well organised and great atmosphere.

I did an Endurance one up here which was hilly AF and a couple of smaller ones that were really local to the area.

The checkpoints had really limited stuff.. just water at one because you were meant to be self-sufficient. All the stuff I see on Instagram with massages and a plethora of food and drink is miles away from my experiences.

Reactions: 2
Love Maverick race. Not done an ultra but done a few of their longer and shorter events. Really well organised and great atmosphere.

Same! I've done a couple of half marathon-ish distance races with them and they have been great. One was on a super hot day and they managed to find somewhere to add in an additional water station.

I can also recommend Centurion, they really look after you. The website is a bit serious looking, but the cut offs are reasonable and they are really well organised, marked etc.

Big Bear do lapped races and have dipped their toes into the ultra market, I've not done an ultra with them but the races I have done have been great. They are also linked with centurion now as well.

Still in post-baby re-build up mode so very slow and short, but very excited to get back to events (can you tell?!)

I think the only ways I'd do RTTS or similar would be as a fun day out with friends.

Reactions: 4
Think there’s nothing wrong with any of the threshold events if it’s your first going off into ultra or trail marathon. Less panic with being entirely self sufficient etc. But you need to treat distance with respect not just selfies 😆 Saying this as a newbie who’s moving to dip a foot into ultras and has a meeting with the Cotswold Way this summer!
… I would’ve gone with a Maverick ultra but none of their dates worked for me. Even then they are very good aid station wise, you still need to carry stuff as they’re not as frequent as threshold but you can top up well at their stations.

Reactions: 5
Big Bear do lapped races and have dipped their toes into the ultra market, I've not done an ultra with them but the races I have done have been great. They are also linked with centurion now as well.
I did the first big bear race, and they’re lovely and friendly. Also, beer and flapjack at the end of a race is always a winner. Really want to do their head torch races.

Same! I've done a couple of half marathon-ish distance races with them and they have been great. One was on a super hot day and they managed to find somewhere to add in an additional water station.

I can also recommend Centurion, they really look after you. The website is a bit serious looking, but the cut offs are reasonable and they are really well organised, marked etc.

Still in post-baby re-build up mode so very slow and short, but very excited to get back to events (can you tell?!)

I think the only ways I'd do RTTS or similar would be as a fun day out with friends.
Centurion are the best in the business

Reactions: 2

I imagine a few influencers took part a few years ago and got a lot of interaction on their posts, so the following year all the wannabes flocked to it. That, and as you say, they market it as suitable for all abilities, which most of these muppets interpret as - minimal training/preparation required! Im sure its still a fun event for normal folk, you just have to put up with all that pish going on around you.

Agreed about Maverick events, they're awesome, I highly recommend!

Whilst we’re on companies to recommend and not, I personally would steer clear of any future Trail Pursuit events. I did their Brecons marathon in October and whilst the event was fun, I had a number of very real safety concerns which I shared with the organisers - the impression I got was that even after darkness fell they had no idea who was still up on a mountain ridge in cold and wet conditions (no GPS tracking either).
This is for an event which was marketed as an entry level trail race - I did notice they have removed the ultra option this time (I imagine they got a lot of feedback as the ultra route looked horrendously boring). I am personally pretty confident in the mountains but felt very fortunate to get back down off the ridge as I didn’t have much faith in their safety protocol!

Got round to listening to What the Fartlek podcast today..

Tried a few listens of it and its time I will never get back. The host Rob I have on Insta and I have followed him for some time but never heard any episodes.

Listening to him and the other guy is like listening to the Chuckle Brothers if you ordered them off Wish. Their banter if you can call it that would make a preschooler cringe at how bad it is.

Is there any other podcasts I should listen to??

I've pretty much got through most Running Commentary podcasts when doing London training last year, so any worth listening to big or small then let me know!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.