Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe I’m a cynic but I think ruby knows more than we give her credit for. As someone who spends all that time on extra projects it’s hard to believe she’s never looked into british politics even a little. Thinking about it did she post anything about BLM or the election? I can’t remember a comment from her on either but both fell quite a while ago now
Agreed. She’s always showing that she reads the news in her vlogs so she’s hardly ignorant of what’s happening in the UK right now and Marcus Rashford’s campaign is all over Twitter.

I really hope she addresses the paid ad. It would be so easy for her to apologise, admit it was naive/ignorant of her and to donate all of the ad money to FoodShare and then share some resources. Educate people on child food poverty instead of repeating Hands, Face, Space that we’ve all heard a million times.

Reactions: 1
If Exeter is only in tier 1 then why did she need to come home?
Exactly! Imo she's just using it as an excuse to stay at home, she clearly prefers being at home (shes said this quite a few times). Which is weird, she's a 20 year old woman, I don't get why she hasn't grown up and got a bit of independence yet?

Reactions: 6
Exactly! Imo she's just using it as an excuse to stay at home, she clearly prefers being at home (shes said this quite a few times). Which is weird, she's a 20 year old woman, I don't get why she hasn't grown up and got a bit of independence yet?
she is 20 but likes acting (and dressing) like she’s 12, so it makes sense that she’d prefer staying at home with her parents

Reactions: 7
I really hope she didn’t move home because of her fear of being in the house alone. The main way to ‘cure’ that is by being in the house alone! I found this out from personal experience! It’s like homesickness, you only combat it by staying away from home.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I hope she realizes her attitude. She is already in her second year of university and will soon be 21 years old. I hope she realizes that she IS GROWING.

Reactions: 4
I hope she realizes her attitude. She is already in her second year of university and will soon be 21 years old. I hope she realizes that she IS GROWING.
minor detail but isn’t she in her 3rd year, since she redid her first year after switching to english from religion? i may be wrong but i remember this from previous posts i think

Reactions: 2
Yes, technically she is in her third year, the second year of her new program. I'm the same age as Ruby and decided to stay home this year because my uni is across the country (Canada) and all remote. It was still a pretty tough decision. I'm not surprised at all by this move of hers, I was pretty taken aback when I found out she was moving back out to Exeter at the start of the school year.

With that massive house of hers, she could probably simulate living alone... other people could be in the house and you wouldn't even know it 😅

Also, does anyone know what happened to that cottage she bought?? I can't even find the original video anymore

I was quite surprised to see that she has moved back home as I thought she looked really happy with her flatmate!
Maybe there’s more to it? Although it would fit her previous behavior of needing to be home as much as possible but still ... I hoped she’d enjoy this time being “forced” to stay away.

Reactions: 5
I was quite surprised to see that she has moved back home as I thought she looked really happy with her flatmate!
Maybe there’s more to it? Although it would fit her previous behavior of needing to be home as much as possible but still ... I hoped she’d enjoy this time being “forced” to stay away.
I agree cause it her flatmate seemed like the perfect fit for her. They enjoyed going to Waterstones, drinking tea and making similar food and studying. Unless her flatmate has also went home? If she's signed a contract for a year then I'd be surprised if she was able to get out of it so quickly.

Reactions: 8
Did she say she was moving home for the year or just for the rest of the term? I would assume either her flatmate made the same decision or maybe Ruby had to find someone else to take her place

I just don’t understand, ruby was only living with one other person not in halls with lots of students. And I imagine there’s not much face to face teaching so the risk of getting covid would be really low especially as she’s in a tier 1 area. I think it’s more about wanting the comfort of home and being scared of being home alone. But at some point you do have to grow up and get over these things, I’m at uni on my own and I’m a year younger than ruby. I want to go home but realistically I’ve got to stay because I’ve already paid rent. I also think her parents do encourage her in this childish behaviour

• Sad
Reactions: 16
I just don’t understand, ruby was only living with one other person not in halls with lots of students. And I imagine there’s not much face to face teaching so the risk of getting covid would be really low especially as she’s in a tier 1 area. I think it’s more about wanting the comfort of home and being scared of being home alone. But at some point you do have to grow up and get over these things, I’m at uni on my own and I’m a year younger than ruby. I want to go home but realistically I’ve got to stay because I’ve already paid rent. I also think her parents do encourage her in this childish behaviour
I’m sort of in the same situation. I’d love to be at home right now since most of my teaching is online but I’ve signed a contract and I know I wouldn’t be productive at home - My uni and home are both tier 3 so either way it’s high risk. It’s all part of having to make sacrifices, just like everyone is having to do!
I think Ruby worker herself up a bit especially since she hadn’t even been in a shop and then jumped straight into living alone again

Reactions: 9
Remember how quickly she moved home in March, at least a week before lockdown for even considered? Maybe her parents are also fearful of the virus, and perhaps want to encourage their children to be the same.

As others have said though, it could be that she couldn't cope with her fears of being alone and felt like she could only concentrate whilst at home in 'safety'.

Reactions: 6
I’m sort of in the same situation. I’d love to be at home right now since most of my teaching is online but I’ve signed a contract and I know I wouldn’t be productive at home - My uni and home are both tier 3 so either way it’s high risk. It’s all part of having to make sacrifices, just like everyone is having to do!
I think Ruby worker herself up a bit especially since she hadn’t even been in a shop and then jumped straight into living alone again
Yes this is the same situation a lot of students are in. But ruby is never going to get over her fears about covid or staying home alone if she just moves home when she’s scared. If she wanted she could have just stayed inside at uni, she was only living with one housemate - there really is little risk if you isolate yourself and don’t see anyone

I just had another idea: maybe there was an issue with the house? I remember her constantly saying how cold it was and her room didn’t look as nice as her previous ones? So maybe that also played a part? Seems really weird otherwise especially as she only lived with one other person

Remember how quickly she moved home in March, at least a week before lockdown for even considered? Maybe her parents are also fearful of the virus, and perhaps want to encourage their children to be the same.

As others have said though, it could be that she couldn't cope with her fears of being alone and felt like she could only concentrate whilst at home in 'safety'.
Sheffield is bad at the moment though I bet Marfa stays there.

I’m in two minds about her moving. My family and I live in spain, but when lockdown happened I was at uni in a different part of spain to them, so I had to stay in my uni flat and tbh it was bleeping terrible lol. Like it is so hard to be on your own in a lockdown, so I do understand why she’d want to go back to her family. However, on the other hand, the lockdown in the UK is so different to what we had in spain which was total confinement, no walks, no nothing, police and army on the streets, getting fined if you leave the house and no travel between regions so I couldn’t even go to my family. There was literally no way you could get round it, so in that sense considering how much less strict the lockdown is in the UK, especially if its only tier two in exeter, I don’t actually have too much sympathy for it. Plus its a bit peak to leave the flatmate all alone, but then again everyone copes differently so I dunno

How is she capable of simultaneously looking like an old lady and a little girl but not like a 20 year old? 🤣

I just had another idea: maybe there was an issue with the house? I remember her constantly saying how cold it was and her room didn’t look as nice as her previous ones? So maybe that also played a part? Seems really weird otherwise especially as she only lived with one other person
Yeah, I posted a similar idea on GG about the possibility of them having problems in the house and that maybe being the last straw to the decision of going back home. I think that's plausible.

Attachments

• Haha

Actually yeah does anyone know if her sister is coming home? Can't imagine she would be

Reactions: 1
In fairness to Ruby she's 20 (21?) and living away from home during a global pandemic. I know some people might be completely fine with doing that but for others it's actually not ideal, particularly if your mental health isn't great (which Ruby has said hers isn't before). I'm a 24 year old student doing my second degree and I'm homesick sometimes despite having not lived permanently at home for years. It's also worse at the moment because I went home during lockdown (the first one) and so now have to readjust to being alone again (I live alone).

I know some people are very independent and can totally cope with living alone (and we don't know that her flatmate hasn't gone home, prompting this!) but others can't and I think it's a bit unfair to criticise her so heavily. I know this is a Tattle site but sometimes I think people forget that everyone is different and if she's not breaking rules or whatever then it's kind of an unnecessary criticism. I also know that a fair few of us on here are a bit older than Ruby and might do well to remember what it was like to be 20.

/rant

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.