Ruby Granger #8 Government checks, body checks, and yet no privilege checks

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I was just listening to Nayna Florence's podcast and she mentioned that there are a lot of "hate" pages on the internet that talk about YouTubers and other influencers. I'm pretty sure she was referring to these gossip pages. She says that she doesn't look herself up because she's afraid of what people might say. I don't think I've ever heard bad things about her, though? She also said that she received a lot of hate for following someone that other people were criticizing at the time. Does anyone know who she's talking about? Anyway, I know that she and Ruby and other studytubers regularly comment on each other's videos so she must have been talking about them being "hated" on here. However, I think that besides some comments that do often cross the line, I see these gossip sites as a way to have more nuanced conversations about the media that we consume. I don't see it as hate at all. And I think it's important to have spaces to discuss "influencers" because they do in fact get paid to influence viewers and are a HUGE part of the attention economy. I think, once you start getting paid, your audience is your source of income in terms of engagement and you owe them some degree of accountability. This is especially true when your content falls under the labels of "self-help" and other types of self-improvement. Of course, I don't condone bullying, but there is also a huge censorship problem on YouTube and Instagram where any critical comments are perceived as "hate" and are quickly removed.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
So I was just listening to Nayna Florence's podcast and she mentioned that there are a lot of "hate" pages on the internet that talk about YouTubers and other influencers. I'm pretty sure she was referring to these gossip pages. She says that she doesn't look herself up because she's afraid of what people might say. I don't think I've ever heard bad things about her, though? She also said that she received a lot of hate for following someone that other people were criticizing at the time. Does anyone know who she's talking about? Anyway, I know that she and Ruby and other studytubers regularly comment on each other's videos so she must have been talking about them being "hated" on here. However, I think that besides some comments that do often cross the line, I see these gossip sites as a way to have more nuanced conversations about the media that we consume. I don't see it as hate at all. And I think it's important to have spaces to discuss "influencers" because they do in fact get paid to influence viewers and are a HUGE part of the attention economy. I think, once you start getting paid, your audience is your source of income in terms of engagement and you owe them some degree of accountability. This is especially true when your content falls under the labels of "self-help" and other types of self-improvement. Of course, I don't condone bullying, but there is also a huge censorship problem on YouTube and Instagram where any critical comments are perceived as "hate" and are quickly removed.
The thing that’s good about tattle is that there are strict rules and if you do cross the line, the post gets removed. So in that sense it really annoys me when influencers moan they’re getting talked about on here bc its just like, no ones doxing you here or doing anything that could actually harm you, so just don’t read it? I feel like a lot of influencers don’t seem to understand that if you put yourself in the public eye, you will receive criticism whether you like it or not

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.