Ruby Granger #6 Holes in tights and Victorian delights!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think Holocaust remembrance is an entirely worthy, important and timely cause. Antisemitism is still pervasive (including in UK politics and society), and the Holocaust didn't happen very long ago at all. Hocaust education is also often lacking, and the focus on underfunded state schools would suggest that she appreciates the importance of such education in places that have fewer resources to work with. That's fair.
Nah this is a weird take. Obviously its important to remember the Holocaust and you know how we can do that? By not taking money from the Holocaust rememberance trust.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
in all fairness, some people just have prominent collar bones, mine really stick out but I'm not underweight or anything, might just be a bony person
Yeah same, my ribs + collarbones have always stuck, even when I’d gained a few pounds. Some people are just built like that.

Reactions: 5
It seems she’s continuing to pursue the ‘underfunded state school’ pet project.
how does she expect people to know what their school can and cannot afford? A lot of schools are underfunded and I think their priorities would lie in being able to fund teaching materials/content instead of a memorial. A memorial is a good idea but it needs to have some teaching alongside it to truly have an impact to the students who perhaps don’t know anything about the Holocaust..looking at a statue won’t teach them anything IMO. For context, the world wars were only taught at A level at my school so a memorial, would probably have fell a bit flat on it’s own as it just wasn’t taught.

I feel like funding a workshop or something similar would possibly be more appropriate, more accessible and a better use of the money?

Reactions: 26
I think Holocaust remembrance is an entirely worthy, important and timely cause. Antisemitism is still pervasive (including in UK politics and society), and the Holocaust didn't happen very long ago at all. Hocaust education is also often lacking, and the focus on underfunded state schools would suggest that she appreciates the importance of such education in places that have fewer resources to work with. That's fair.
I agree, to imply that we shouldn’t focus on increasing Holocaust awareness simply because there’s other issues going on in the world, is just awful imo

Nah this is a weird take. Obviously its important to remember the Holocaust and you know how we can do that? By not taking money from the Holocaust rememberance trust.
No one is saying that what she did was right but it was just that the comment looked as if it was criticising raising awareness for the Holocaust instead of other issues. Imo it’s not about one or the other - there are plenty of worthy causes in the world and raising awareness for the Holocaust is certainly one of them

Reactions: 7
Holocaust education is so important but at the end of the day learning about the holocaust is part of the national curriculum, even if a school is ‘underfunded’ the students will still get that education. Antisemitism is rife in the UK, my dad is jewish, I’ve seen it happen to my own family, trust me when I say that Ruby’s random little ‘underfunded state school’ vanity project won’t help stop it one bit. The money would be better spent just remaining in the bloody charity she decided to take it off, where it could be used properly. Honestly I still cannot get my head around why she took that money, to me it says she doesn’t give a tit about holocaust victims and survivors at all, she’s either greedy or just looking for some sort of clout. Smh

Reactions: 30
As bad as it is Ruby accepting the money, I find it weird a charity was fine with paying her to begin with

Reactions: 21
Totally agree that it should be taught to combat that but every child knows what happened in the Holocaust from the minute they enter secondary school, do they know what happened in Northern Ireland when there was literally a civil war one country over only 20ish years ago with direct involvement of their own country? Nope. British education system is selective in what it teaches its kids about history, and not that Holocaust memorials aren’t important, just that there are more important contemporary injustices to share the spotlight too

random digression from the Ruby thing so feel free to ignore

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Totally agree that it should be taught to combat that but every child knows what happened in the Holocaust from the minute they enter secondary school, do they know what happened in Northern Ireland when there was literally a civil war one country over only 20ish years ago with direct involvement of their own country? Nope. British education system is selective in what it teaches its kids about history, and not that Holocaust memorials aren’t important, just that there are more important contemporary injustices to share the spotlight too
I wouldn’t assume every child knows about it, my secondary school only taught Holocaust/world war two as an A level subject but I learnt about Northern Ireland/IRA at gcse 🤷‍♀️ I went to school like 10 years ago mind you so it might have changed since then 😅

Reactions: 1
As bad as it is Ruby accepting the money, I find it weird a charity was fine with paying her to begin with
In all likelihood, this was just the result of nobody doing any thinking. The charity bought visibility from an influencer agency; Sixteenth chose Ruby (and others) to offer the promotion to. They’re used to working with brands, where it’s not a problem to pay or receive money, and somehow it didn’t occur to anyone concerned that there would be backlash. Ruby’s management is as much to blame for the fact that this happened, and I seem to recall this isn’t the first time Sixteenth have effed up. (Ruby, on the other hand, is responsible for the aftermath. She really botched it up, and continues to do so.)

Reactions: 9
I wouldn’t assume every child knows about it, my secondary school only taught Holocaust/world war two as an A level subject but I learnt about Northern Ireland/IRA at gcse 🤷‍♀️ I went to school like 10 years ago mind you so it might have changed since then 😅
Also educated in NI! We didn’t learn about the Holocaust in primary, didn’t do history at grammar so don’t know about that. We did the world wars at primary but it was more like... the evacuation etc and the impact on Belfast of the blitz. May have touched on Holocaust maybe but I learnt more about it from reading Anne Franks diary and going to an exhibition on it at the Waterfront.

Reactions: 1
Also educated in NI! We didn’t learn about the Holocaust in primary, didn’t do history at grammar so don’t know about that. We did the world wars at primary but it was more like... the evacuation etc and the impact on Belfast of the blitz. May have touched on Holocaust maybe but I learnt more about it from reading Anne Franks diary and going to an exhibition on it at the Waterfront.
Same - I did secondary education in England and we weren’t taught the Holocaust at all - we barely did WW1 and WW2. My school preferred to focus on medieval history!

Reactions: 3
I have no problem with teaching about the Holocaust, but it's important to state that's not what Ruby is trying to funding. She's trying to fund memorials in schools. I went to an underfunded state school, and I can pretty confidently say a memorial is not what we needed and would very likely be forgotten about after one year. I don't think this is an effective use of money at all - she would be much better to buy schools materials to teach about the Holocaust or funding school trips to concentration camps or something rather than a vanity project of a memorial.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Also - what makes Ruby, of all people, the right person to launch this kind of project? She's not Jewish, she doesn't have experience putting together something like this (sure, she did a Holocaust memorial at her school according to her LinkedIn, but that's very very different from trying to figure out the logistics of choosing another school she knows nothing about & liaising with them to create something meaningful and appropriate), and her most significant public interaction with the charity she's working with was the same #Ad scandal that she's hastily trying to do damage control for now. It would be like me as a white person acting like I'm qualified to go off to a random ~underfunded~ school to put up a plaque about the Black Lives Matter movement. (I studied the Civil Rights Movement for my history A Level so I'm basically an expert, right? /s)

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I have no problem with teaching about the Holocaust, but it's important to state that's not what Ruby is trying to funding. She's trying to fund memorials in schools. I went to an underfunded state school, and I can pretty confidently say a memorial is not what we needed and would very likely be forgotten about after one year. I don't think this is an effective use of money at all - she would be much better to buy schools materials to teach about the Holocaust or funding school trips to concentration camps or something rather than a vanity project of a memorial.
100%
my (state) school didn’t get much right but one thing I really think they did was Holocaust memorial.
theyd have a whole day assembly for it each year (different students every time) and it was great, we had Holocaust survivors/family and we got to know about people.
ruby. Setup education where people can learn about individuals not just what happened, provide books of these accounts and people to teach

Ugh, the idea of the memorial is just kinda ... meh.

My school had quite a few of them in addition to extensive lessons (literally every year in different subjects) and the memorial often was more seen as a way to get out of class or do some last minute homework.
Meanwhile looking at it from the historical side, then the next year how it influenced literature, art, the economy etc. was so much more eye opening and made everyone deal with it. A memorial is just almost useless) symbolism

Edit to say I went to school in Germany, so ofc we were taught more about it 😅

Reactions: 7
I’m just struggling to imagine the likely reception if a pupil were to go to a teacher saying ‘Ruby Granger (no, she’s not a pupil, she’s a StudyTuber, she films herself studying) wants to fund a Holocaust memorial (no, she’s not Jewish but she got some money for doing an advert about Holocaust Memorial Day and people complained so she’s giving it away and she’s doing a module on it at university too) at an underfunded state school and I got in touch and said that my school is underfunded (well we are, aren’t we?) and now she says we can have a few hundred pounds to create some kind of memorial and ...’

It‘s just a nonsense sequence of events that nobody’s going to take seriously. Also, with the very greatest of respect, I think schools have enough on their plates at the moment and something like this, whilst important, won’t be a priority right now. It just shows how clueless Ruby can be about ‘real-life’, and how this whole thing just wasn’t thought through.

Last edited:
Reactions: 37
How much money did she get for that crappy no effort ad that she wants to fund multiple memorials with it?? It's absolutely disgusting, both from Ruby and for the Fund to waste these amounts of money on crappy ads from studytubers.

Reactions: 22
How much money did she get for that crappy no effort ad that she wants to fund multiple memorials with it?? It's absolutely disgusting, both from Ruby and for the Fund to waste these amounts of money on crappy ads from studytubers.
Exactly - it has to be more than a couple of hundred pounds I bet. Why can’t she simply donate the full amount back to the charity, then the money will be put to better use, and she can partially clear her conscience. If I’d taken that money in an ill-advised move you can bet it would be haunting me and I’d be so ashamed.

Reactions: 19
Exactly - it has to be more than a couple of hundred pounds I bet. Why can’t she simply donate the full amount back to the charity, then the money will be put to better use, and she can partially clear her conscience. If I’d taken that money in an ill-advised move you can bet it would be haunting me and I’d be so ashamed.
Yes if she really does care she should just simply put it back to charity, even if it’s a different one which helps survivors. I just don’t fw the idea that she can maximise the potential of this money 🤷‍♀️ I’d be a bit more open to her ideas if she actually revealed what this memorial would be and exactly what the amount was that she has been paid, but idk for now I still think it’s shady af and she should just give it back.

It's so, so arrogant that she thinks her twee little memorial idea is a better way to use her money than a DEDICATED CHARITY would. The pushback is what makes this so bad, stop circumventing and just redonate and be done with it.

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.