Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My favourite part of the Victorian maid morning routine was when she mopped the floor with a bright red, plastic bucket and modern mop

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Her hair looks really nice in a bun tbh, she should wear her hair up more often. It makes her look more mature somehow

Reactions: 15
Just watched Jack Edwards’ 2021 book haul and ngl it was so informative and well explained. He talked deeper about books that he hadn’t even read, in comparison to ruby who manages to talk and talk about books she’s reviewing but manage to not really say anything at the same time. Both of them have done English lit degrees and I’d expect the same level of eloquence from ruby tbh.

Reactions: 12
Am I wrong in assuming that scullery maids used to work in the scullery? Hence the name? Didn't the basically spend their whole time washing dishes and helping the cook? Don't know why Ruby's scullery maid is lighting fires and opening shutters 🙄

Reactions: 7
I’d love to see Ruby do a video where she goes out of her comfort zone (just for a video, not because I think she needs to be like everyone else).

💫 I can imagine her in a club with her arms wide, staring at the lights, taking in the beauty, feeling the sticky floor beneath her feet as the scent of ethanol permeates her nostrils. 💫

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Am I wrong in assuming that scullery maids used to work in the scullery? Hence the name? Didn't the basically spend their whole time washing dishes and helping the cook? Don't know why Ruby's scullery maid is lighting fires and opening shutters 🙄
I know it's a different era (and fictional) but in downton abbey the scullery maids do light fires and some other stuff around the house. But generally yeah they're meant to be in the kitchen and not seen by the people in the house

I find it really weird that she romanticises and *aestheticises* being a member of the servant class in the Victorian era, especially given that she's nowhere near having to do that kind of work irl

Reactions: 22
I find it really weird that she romanticises and *aestheticises* being a member of the servant class in the Victorian era, especially given that she's nowhere near having to do that kind of work irl
I wish someone would though, their house is such a state 😂 Maybe she could roleplay a few more days, just until the stains in the sink are taken care of? And the limescale on the water fixtures. Oh and the scum on the windows.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Yeah, it did feel weird to me that a lot of what she talked about was stuff that resembled my experience in retail/catering work, early hours and scrappy food breaks to boot. Obviously I'm not comparing that level of manual labour to retail today but for Ruby she probably assumes that the entire thing is confined to the past as she has never had to do work remotely like that before in her life.

Reactions: 14
I wish someone would though, their house is such a state 😂 Maybe she could roleplay a few more days, just until the stains in the sink are taken care of? And the limescale on the water fixtures. Oh and the scum on the windows.
From the way she was mopping the floor (and the fact that she did it with no shoes on, sorry but I'm still not over it lmao 😭) and the state of the house I'd say she must not do it very often. What's the point in having a big ass house if you can't take care of it properly?

• Sick
I really feel that Ruby *needs* to read The Five by Hallie Rubenhold and I’m sure she’ll get a verrry different idea of what it was like to be poor in the 19th century and stop romanticising a period which was actually extremely hard for anyone who wasn’t wealthy.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’ve said this before on someone’s thread but if you have to put a disclaimer before a video you should think really hard about the content and idea of that video! Most often a video following a disclaimer should have never seen the light of day.

I think it would have be more informative for me to read Wikipedia for 9 minutes. There was so little information and like someone said it was just a ruse for her to be able to role play and hide from reality

Reactions: 18
Side note, I saw that she made cocoa with hot water like it's tea. I've never seen that before and it looks disgusting, is it accurate for the time period or is it still a thing in the UK? Or is Ruby just a weirdo? I'm confused

• Sick
Reactions: 8
Her dad works in finance/banking? And I think her mum is an opticians assistant? I'm not sure tho
She mentioned during lockdown I think or maybe earlier that her mum does massage for clients who come to their house, because she calls her mums massage room an indoor gym because it’s just where she keeps her fitness stuff - but she’s also mentioned in other videos that her mum has been “at work” like out of the house

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I really feel that Ruby *needs* to read The Five by Hallie Rubenhold and I’m sure she’ll get a verrry different idea of what it was like to be poor in the 19th century and stop romanticising a period which was actually extremely hard for anyone who wasn’t wealthy.
Yes! This is such a good book and would give her so much more insight into the period and live of working class women and how dangerous it actually was. If she wanted to learn more about the working class in the 20th century (later period but I think it would be good for her to get out her comfort zone) I would also really recommend The Radium Girls by Kate Moore.

Reactions: 6
Side note, I saw that she made cocoa with hot water like it's tea. I've never seen that before and it looks disgusting, is it accurate for the time period or is it still a thing in the UK? Or is Ruby just a weirdo? I'm confused
It’s not a UK thing - sometimes a cafe will make a hot chocolate with a mix of water and milk but normally now it’ll be made with steamed milk. Historically, I think cocoa was generally always made with milk or a mix of milk and water. I think this is another case of Ruby just interpreting something her own way, and seeing ‘cocoa’ and thinking that meant they literally just drank the powder mixed with water.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.