Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I guess at least she put a brief disclaimer at the beginning. Side note does anyone else not like the decorating style of their house? I like old fashioned stuff and I'd love to have a big house like that in the country but it just looks so... Dusty. Like wtf was with that absolutely destroyed chair when she was mopping the floors? It looked like it was the first time the floors had ever been mopped.

Reactions: 22
Yeh I kind of just don't get her channel. Like if she was 11 or 12 the victorian video she made would be quite good. But shes a fully grown 20 year old woman so I cant help mentally comparing it to other properly researched and edited videos about the victorians made by other 20 year olds and hers seems so ridiculously childish?

E.g.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Yeh I kind of just don't get her channel. Like if she was 11 or 12 the victorian video she made would be quite good. But shes a fully grown 20 year old woman so I cant help mentally comparing it to other properly researched and edited videos about the victorians made by other 20 year olds and hers seems so ridiculously childish?
Yes! She could go the route of the historical fashion/beauty YouTubers (*cough* meme mom Karolina) and combine funny/chill content with historical research and facts, which would make her videos a lot more interesting and professional imo

• Heart
Reactions: 7
What did irritate me about that (apart from all of it) was that there was very little context - as in, the Victorian period lasted for a very long time and saw massive social, political and economic change. You can’t just quote a figure for a wage, for example, without giving an indication of when that figure was from - early, mid or late Victorian?

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
What did irritate me about that (apart from all of it) was that there was very little context - as in, the Victorian period lasted for a very long time and saw massive social, political end economic change. You can’t just quote a figure for a wage, for example, without giving an indication of when that figure was from - early, mid or late Victorian?
YES exactly, it was 64 I think years long right? Imagine someone quoting a wage from 1960 and saying that was representative of 2021?!

Reactions: 23
What did irritate me about that (apart from all of it) was that there was very little context - as in, the Victorian period lasted for a very long time and saw massive social, political end economic change. You can’t just quote a figure for a wage, for example, without giving an indication of when that figure was from - early, mid or late Victorian?
Considering she wanted to teach her viewers about the the lives of servants she didn't actually say much?? There was so much variation in the lives of servants, some were treated as members of the family, others were abused and even murdered by their employers. They were often controlled so strictly, not being allowed to wear certain fabrics or have certain haircuts. There was so much more Ruby could have said here, I feel like she really did the minimum and this came across more as an opportunity to do a bit of acting rather than to educate.

Reactions: 19

E.g.
Slight OT, but I absolutely adore Karolina, check her out people!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I just watched Ruby's video and scrolled through the comments for a bit; looks like we'll be getting some night routines as well...
Screenshot 2021-02-08 130103.png

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Did anybody else notice that Ruby was mopping the floor with just her stockings on and no slippers or shoes? I cringed so hard at the idea lol

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
Does anyone know what her parents do cause that house is insane to me.

Reactions: 4
The sink in the kitchen also looked kinda dirty and yellow to me? Or was it just the water from the washing up?

Reactions: 5
I feel if she wants to make these sorts of educational videos they would work better as general discussion/lecture type things - like for instance she could role-play as a teacher teaching about a time period. That way she could be far more flexible - e.g. addressing the length of the period and the ways in which wages would change, the different roles servants would have rather than just the one. She could also provide more information about how servants were mistreated + the actual hardships they would face - it's impossible for her to properly display those things in this type of video, because it would get very dark very fast and she has a young audience to think about. I agree that this feels more like an opportunity for her to act than to educate. If she were 'teaching' the material, you wouldn't get all the issues with her obviously living in luxury pretending to be a servant, she could just deliver the information. It wouldn't be anywhere near as ✨aesthetic✨ though.

Reactions: 16
I guess at least she put a brief disclaimer at the beginning. Side note does anyone else not like the decorating style of their house? I like old fashioned stuff and I'd love to have a big house like that in the country but it just looks so... Dusty. Like wtf was with that absolutely destroyed chair when she was mopping the floors? It looked like it was the first time the floors had ever been mopped.
It strikes me as very chilly too. Brrrr

Reactions: 6
I cringed at the wrinked linen apron, surely garments had to be pressed and starched, even for servants. I feel like the disclaimer was for our benefit.

The bun updo suits Ruby though.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.