Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think my mom would kill me if I posted a video on the Internet for thousands of people to see where our house is visible and not perfectly clean in some way. Like one time I was having a Zoom call with some uni friends to discuss a project (so a completely informal occasion with like three people) and she told me off because a pile of clean plates was visible behind me on a counter. Ruby's house looks way messier and dirtier than that and she has no problem showing it to her whole fanbase smh
My parents are the exact same to the point where now it is ingrained in my habits. I cannot even imagine letting strangers glance and my house in a messy/dirty space.

I initially thought they must have had a maid and due to lockdown the maid has not come in, but out of curiosity I watched some of her old videos (some pre uni) and that is how her house has always looked like. I think all family members must be complete slobs (kinda ruins that whole upper class dark/light academia though).

So anyhow, I just wonder why on earth would they house be in this state. Like it is obvious they have a LOT of money. I am sure they could afford some good quality furniture (because that whole house is a mess) and some painting, declutering and deep cleaning. They don’t even have to buy brand new furniture for crying out loud - Facebook market and similar websites have AMAZING second hand furniture. And producing some videos like Deep Cleaning My House would also tie in with Ruby’s “productive” personality and humanise her for her viewers. It would also help her young viewers realise that productivity does not only mean trying to study for 12 hours a day or trying to do many tasks at once.

• Sick
Reactions: 17
So the hole in the sock wasn't on purpose? And she wore it anyway knowing she was going to film her feet?
Jesus Christ. This girl is a slob.
Isn't the swimming in YouTube cash, omg. I'm starting to see she isn't that put together, tidy, clever or productive. It's all her fake youtube persona.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Yes, for all she spends on Miss Patina, ALL her stockings have holes in them? I guess she does not care to look that put together, she just likes dressing up and playing pretend.

• Sick
Reactions: 13
Is it me, or did she stumble over her words SO much in that video? She seemed really unsure about what she was saying,.

Reactions: 3
From the way she was mopping the floor (and the fact that she did it with no shoes on, sorry but I'm still not over it lmao 😭) and the state of the house I'd say she must not do it very often. What's the point in having a big ass house if you can't take care of it properly?
“very often”? I doubt she’s EVER done it before🤭 Pretty sure that was her first time doing manual labor at home 🤣

• Haha
I was always appalled at the state of her house. Like, her bedroom is completely dirty: I think in her story today you can see her window and it’s literally black at the edges. Moreover, her window sill is dusty, dirty and full of old candle wax.

And you can see her shower in one of her routines - it is absolutely filthy. I simply cannot imagine how someone who has so much money can be so utterly dirty. But then again, she has dirty/black nails all the time, so we can assume she is going for a slob routine. I guess anything beyond surface cleaning is not productive enough for her: maybe because she can’t do crosswords or read when doing it. 🙄🙄
To be fair, her house seems to be quite old, and older houses can be pretty difficult to fully clean (lots of gaps in windows, holes in the wall etc), though it's a shame that they don't do the place up a little bit using some of the Youtube money. I'm sure it'd be even lovelier when restored to its former glory!!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
To be fair, I think that Ruby is actually making an attempt to be more aware of why she posts the things she does. I'm comparing her to Jade in this case, who constantly gloats about self-growth when in reality, she hates being criticized and will just ignore anything that doesn't fit her beliefs. Meanwhile, it seems that Ruby is at least reading people's comments and making some changes? I know they're not major, but it gives me some hope that she's trying.

Reactions: 34
I think this is an American recipe from the late Victorian period, but it seems that they really did make cocoa with milk!
'Scrape fine one square of Baker’s chocolate (which will be an ounce). Put it in a pint of boiling water and milk, mixed in equal parts. Boil ten minutes, and during this time mill it or whip it with a Dover egg-whip (one with a wheel), which will make it foam beautifully. Sweeten to the taste, at table.- From Housekeeping in old Virginia (1879)'

Reactions: 4
I feel a little bit sad for her after her latest video. She was doing so well at uni, she was independent, making much more relatable and mature content and genuinely seemed like a young woman in her early twenties. I cannot believe she's gone back to making videos playing pretend at home, literally putting on costumes and walking about pretending to be a victorian scullery maid, it feels like she's fifteen again making Hermione Granger videos. Also there's the obvious issue of this literally being an upper-middle class woman walking around her million pound country house just outside London and pretending to be working class, a lot of the video seemed like 'look at my original cast iron fireplace and my aga and these wooden shutters we have'.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
Maybe they usually have a cleaner but they can't now because of lockdown?
Even before lockdown the house was always cluttered and messy. I might be misremembering but I remember being really surprised by one of her packing/unpacking videos where she showed a shot of the attic and there just seemed to be one massive pile of stuff In there. Obviously that’s not necessarily Ruby’s doing but there just seemed to be so much stuff all over the house, and nothing really cared for or looked after.

The sloppiness of how Ruby dresses is to me such a sign of her privilege. She can dress like that and get away with coming across as cutesy and aesthetic. If a Black working class 20 year old woman dressed like that she’d be criticised for not making and effort or caring about her appearance. Don’t get me wrong there’s always a time to be a bit sloppy - I have spent much of lockdown in the same joggers and hoodie! But if I’m in online class, or if I were putting videos of myself on the internet, you can bet I’m dressed reasonably nicely (obvs not formal, but I wouldn’t have holes in my tights!), clean hands and taken care of nails etc. She can only get away with looking grubby because she’s a young white woman with a posh accent.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Even before lockdown the house was always cluttered and messy. I might be misremembering but I remember being really surprised by one of her packing/unpacking videos where she showed a shot of the attic and there just seemed to be one massive pile of stuff In there. Obviously that’s not necessarily Ruby’s doing but there just seemed to be so much stuff all over the house, and nothing really cared for or looked after.
I rarely wish Konmari upon anyone, but I feel like they could seriously benefit from it.

• Haha
Regarding the cocoa – as far as I remember, Ruby is vegan, and back when I was trying to be vegan I also would make cocoa with water either because I would have no plant milk at home or because I didn’t like it with any plant milk. I think it’s just her being a weirdo, but I can imagine that may be the reason

• Sick
Reactions: 5
The sloppiness of how Ruby dresses is to me such a sign of her privilege. She can dress like that and get away with coming across as cutesy and aesthetic. If a Black working class 20 year old woman dressed like that she’d be criticised for not making and effort or caring about her appearance. Don’t get me wrong there’s always a time to be a bit sloppy - I have spent much of lockdown in the same joggers and hoodie! But if I’m in online class, or if I were putting videos of myself on the internet, you can bet I’m dressed reasonably nicely (obvs not formal, but I wouldn’t have holes in my tights!), clean hands and taken care of nails etc. She can only get away with looking grubby because she’s a young white woman with a posh accent.
Ah totally, half the ridiculous stuff she gets away with would be noticed and commented upon by a lot more people if she weren't a posh white girl. And in this video specifically everyone probably thought that the hole was for show, because it's baffling that a 20 year old would be so sloppy. Never in a million years would I wear a sock with a hole in a video that thousands of people are going to see.

Reactions: 11
My headcanon: Ruby's mum has a bunch of throwaway accounts on youtube and she is the one requesting the scullery maid video to get Ruby to clean ahaha

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
Ah totally, half the ridiculous stuff she gets away with would be noticed and commented upon by a lot more people if she weren't a posh white girl. And in this video specifically everyone probably thought that the hole was for show, because it's baffling that a 20 year old would be so sloppy. Never in a million years would I wear a sock with a hole in a video that thousands of people are going to see.
Sometimes I think she might be trying to go for that messy intelligent person type vibe, like Einstein or something. Didn’t she have a shirt on inside out or something like that? Idk, its like omg my genius brain is too busy being brilliant to worry about something so unimportant as a hole in my sock

• Haha
  • Sick
Am I wrong in assuming that scullery maids used to work in the scullery? Hence the name? Didn't the basically spend their whole time washing dishes and helping the cook? Don't know why Ruby's scullery maid is lighting fires and opening shutters 🙄
Just thinking this too. I am a big fan of the 1970s show 'Upstairs Downstairs', and while it's mainly set in the Edwardian era, there's so much info in it about the difference between scullery maids, parlour maids, house maids, lady's maids etc. and their daily schedule (i.e. get at 4:30am, go to bed at midnight etc.). I can imagine the tasks and schedules were even more gruelling in an earlier era like the Victorian age. A lot of things she says actually aren't quite correct either - e.g. all maids would wear a bonnet of some sort, so the emphasis on the bun height is irrelevant.

Plus, does Ruby think that being a scullery maid was a default career for the working class? That role is still so closely linked to upper class contexts that it loses its emphasis.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.