Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The one thing that annoyed me about the internship (apart from the fact that her history with paid content for the uni may have helped her get it) is the way she phrased how she found out about it. "My seminar leaders sent it to me because they thought I'd be interested" - her seminar leaders probably sent a mass email about it to everyone in her department, why she have to make everything so ego-centric? I bet that she wasn't emailed specifically.
Lol this really annoyed me too! Eng Lit Exeter student here, and can confirm that there was a mass email about the internship. They literally send these kinds of opportunities en masse to all students who study a relevant subject! Props on her for going for it of course, and I'm sure she did a lot of research beforehand and deserved to get it. However, I agree that it feels a bit sus that they pretty much gave her the option of picking which internship she'd prefer. Feels like she may have got special treatment in that sense because she's their ~poster child~

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 60
I've never actually studied abroad myself (not for a prolonged period of time like a semester anyway) but I know a lot of foreign students on Erasmus at my uni and I agree that the socializing and "experience" part in general is emphasized over studying. Which makes sense, I mean, if you wanted to only study and focus on that there wouldn't really be a reason to go abroad? Like, I can study at home too, if I'm doing a semester abroad it's because I want to experience the country I'm staying in and socializing with people.
Slightly o/t but this is a big part of why the Minerva school Jade goes to rubs me the wrong way. The students just get transplanted in random cities and take their courses online, instead of actually studying at a school in the new country or having to interact with students there. They seem to only hang out with other Minerva people, and step out only for shopping and tourism. It's basically study abroad without any of the actual work needed to acclimate to a new society.

Reactions: 19
It does seem a bit unfair to offer two internships that can be taken together, how about give one per student so more people have the opportunity? Unless there were multiple spots, or, noone else applied? Why would she need 2 roles?

• Heart
Reactions: 30
it's weird to imagine Ruby on a study abroad term. i don't know if this is a common experience but when i did mine in France there was a lot more emphasize on the travelling and partying experience than the studying part. i found the classes to have a lot less work than i was used to and most of the international students i met (especially those on erasmus) definitely saw it as a semester to party. it was tons of fun for me but i don't see ruby vibing with that environment
I’ve heard similar about Europe! I did a year in America and although the work was easy (Ruby would have loved it because it’s the type of thing she could get 100% on) there was so much of it, that it became overwhelming. That combined with the fact I couldn’t just go home for the weekend, or really see anybody I knew, started to weigh on me and I’m not even a home loving person. On the plus side, I think people would enjoy her in America because they were obsessed with my accent 😐

Reactions: 3
It does seem a bit unfair to offer two internships that can be taken together, how about give one per student so more people have the opportunity? Unless there were multiple spots, or, noone else applied? Why would she need 2 roles?
i had a similar experience to this. I worked as an Editorial Assistant for a journal at my university (applied via an email sent out by our Job Shop that nearly every student signs upto and getsemails from). I applied and got an interview, they said three people were interviewing for two positions as the person we would be replacing worked full time across two roles, editorial assistant for the journal and working on an encyclopaedia, so at the end of the interview they confirmed with me which role I definitely wanted (partly because there had been some confusion in their original adverts) and offered me the one I chose. The other role then went to another candidate.
I’m assuming this is closer to the academic placementsmy uni ran during the summer which I guess she could do two roles and more hours if it’s in summer but I don’t know that for sure? I completely agree with you it’s completely unfair if it is two distinct roles that could go to another student though :/

Reactions: 7
^ Exactly, especially as many very bright students don't have the money/connections that Ruby has, and an internship could be a huge boost for them.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Erimentha talks about Kimberly's cold, pale irises again, probably because she plans to store them in a jar in future. I'm unsure which aesthetic this fits into.
Erimentha pipes up that she has not given consent for the photo to be shared, and that they're breaking the law by being on social media under the age of 13.
Thank you for the wheeze-laugh, I'm crying 😂 😂 😂 Good grief. I wish my experience with bullying was as Mallory Towers-core as this. Thank god my childhood was before the internet/social media era, hate to imagine what teens have to suffer through with actual online bullying these days. Gotta love Ruby, she tried.

Reactions: 5
Lol this really annoyed me too! Eng Lit Exeter student here, and can confirm that there was a mass email about the internship. They literally send these kinds of opportunities en masse to all students who study a relevant subject! Props on her for going for it of course, and I'm sure she did a lot of research beforehand and deserved to get it. However, I agree that it feels a bit sus that they pretty much gave her the option of picking which internship she'd prefer. Feels like she may have got special treatment in that sense because she's their ~poster child~
YASSS, called it. 😅
My university has this issue too, where opportunities are firstly offered to those already doing stuff for the uni. To me, it just breeds resentment as not everyone gets an equal bite of the cherry.

Reactions: 11
Very interesting that she's posted she's reading Murakami's Norwegian Wood for a book club - it has heavy sexual themes, as well as being a bit of a wild novel and I'm so interested to see if she finishes it or what she thinks of it. Personally I'm a sucker for all things Murakami

Reactions: 20
Very interesting that she's posted she's reading Murakami's Norwegian Wood for a book club - it has heavy sexual themes, as well as being a bit of a wild novel and I'm so interested to see if she finishes it or what she thinks of it. Personally I'm a sucker for all things Murakami
I am also reading Norwegian Wood right now (although I've had to put it on hold for like a week until I'm done with my exams) and I'll honestly be surprised if Ruby finishes it. The book deals with mainly adult topics, sexual relationships etc. and it's definitely pretty complex. It will be interesting to see what she thinks of it.

Imo after reading like 50 pages, the main character is also pretty unlikable (which doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the book). I feel like the books Ruby usually reads always have protagonists that you are meant to root for and identify with, so I wonder how she will react to this as well.

Reactions: 11
The one thing that annoyed me about the internship (apart from the fact that her history with paid content for the uni may have helped her get it) is the way she phrased how she found out about it. "My seminar leaders sent it to me because they thought I'd be interested" - her seminar leaders probably sent a mass email about it to everyone in her department, why she have to make everything so ego-centric? I bet that she wasn't emailed specifically.
As an Australian, this can happen at our Universities, but only really after you've graduated and have been extremely close with a tutor/lecturer. I've known peers who have been sent internships/job offerings by university staff if they know it will suit that person. Then again, my degree is in Communications and Media - a cutthroat industry which you work your way into and up through using connections with people you know!

Reactions: 4
I am also reading Norwegian Wood right now (although I've had to put it on hold for like a week until I'm done with my exams) and I'll honestly be surprised if Ruby finishes it. The book deals with mainly adult topics, sexual relationships etc. and it's definitely pretty complex. It will be interesting to see what she thinks of it.

Imo after reading like 50 pages, the main character is also pretty unlikable (which doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the book). I feel like the books Ruby usually reads always have protagonists that you are meant to root for and identify with, so I wonder how she will react to this as well.
love Murakami ! i’ve read lots of his books and i find often that his characters are unlikeable which makes the books stand out.

i wonder what she will think of his portrayal of women?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
It's BBQ time!

Erimentha immediately shades Mrs Barton (Kimberly and Ella's mum) for appearing to be falsely friendly with her mum on arrival. She also judges her for wearing silk, but spares the grown ups with, "Did you know [silkworm cruelty]?"

Nathan is discarded downstairs and the girls go towards Kimberly's room. Erimentha does everything possible to be awkward - wondering how they keep the cream carpets so clean because Kimberly's pumps are leaving a damp trail, and Erimentha outright asks if her mum allows her to wear shoes upstairs. "Who are you, her mum?" says Beth, which to be fair, is appropriate to ask - it's not her house.

Erimentha talks about Kimberly's cold, pale irises again, probably because she plans to store them in a jar in future. I'm unsure which aesthetic this fits into.

Erimentha continues to be judgy, internally criticising Kimberly's dirty shoes, messy room, that she has far more makeup than is age appropriate. Kimberly starts putting lipstick on and our fair lady just cannot contain herself. "You know, most lipsticks are made from whale blubber?" and is 'ready to recount the unethical history of the cosmetics industry' when Kimberly puts her in her place, "No facts at my house, Erimentha"

That was fair game considering Erimentha has been snobby, insulting and rude since arrival.

She draws on Erimentha's cheek with the lipstick and takes a photo. Erimentha pipes up that she has not given consent for the photo to be shared, and that they're breaking the law by being on social media under the age of 13. Every party has it's pooper (although Erimentha has probably evolved beyond ordinary human capabilities and no longer passes stool)

What happens next is one of them cuts a chunk of her hair to make a Voodoo doll. Erimentha, who could not be more insufferable at this point, states that Voodoo does not work and the dolls are only sold as part of tourism. [Ed: Actually, Rube, it's a common misconception that Voodoo dolls are related to Haitan or Louisiana voodoo]

She remembers she has a brother and goes downstairs to find him, presumably to use him as a human shield. She joins Ella (Kimberly's sister) on the sofa with a book
Do we think Kimberley and Ella are supposed to be Felicity and Verity who she often mentions as being family friends?

I wonder if they've read it. In the photo she has of herself with them (also posted on Instagram) they don't look particularly happy to be there?

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I've worked at uni as a student assistant (not in the UK) and was approached by professors personally. So that does happen, but maybe the British system is less personalized?🕴

My guess is that one of her lecturers noticed how much extra work and research Ruby does around her normal uni work (even if it's usually not in an efficient/smart way) and encouraged her to apply for the position while it was sent to everybody else as well. Would be a very strange thing to lie about when the Exeter staff and student body are aware of her channel.
I honestly think it'll be good for her that to finally utilize all that energy she apparently has in a useful way instead of rewriting her notes four times.

Reactions: 5
Really wish she would stop romanticising being tired, she's on about her eye bags again in her newest video, does she not realise that having eye bags is a bad sign? Rather than being a sign of hard work (I presume this is what she thinks) I think it just highlights that despite the fact she doesn't have any real responsibilities in her life, she's not capable of managing to meet her own basic needs. Not a good example to her younger viewers imo. Or maybe she thinks they're "aesthetic" and go well with her dark-acadaymia-victorian-waif vibe....

Reactions: 22
Really wish she would stop romanticising being tired, she's on about her eye bags again in her newest video, does she not realise that having eye bags is a bad sign? Rather than being a sign of hard work (I presume this is what she thinks) I think it just highlights that despite the fact she doesn't have any real responsibilities in her life, she's not capable of managing to meet her own basic needs. Not a good example to her younger viewers imo. Or maybe she thinks they're "aesthetic" and go well with her dark-acadaymia-victorian-waif vibe....
I’m wondering if she’s pushing having something wrong with her? That she’s anemic or something, trying to get people to message her about it

Reactions: 6
Apologies for being off topic but her video reflecting on the Oxford rejection came up in my auto play and it’s struck me that she said “If I hadn’t been rejected then I maybe wouldn’t have faced rejection yet” and that she applied for her previous uni subject because she, as part of getting over Oxford, thought English was simply the wrong subject. Fair enough but it just struck me that her two big “failures” in her eyes are things she’s been able to supplement with the same thing but different? For example, her being rejected from Oxford simply meant she went to a different university, but she will still get a degree, same with her first year results she’s now switch degree courses and is getting firsts. I’m not saying she was wrong to do these things, but just in terms of the “golden child who has never done anything wrong” persona there isn’t a large amount of permanent consequences there? Like, I was job hunting for eight months before finding my job and it was the difference in stakes of each of those rejections that hit me, and I’m just not sure if Ruby is as ready for that as she maybe thinks she is because she was so brilliant in coming back from all of her hardships, which these are the two she would say are. This is just simply something I found really interesting , and again not critiquing anything she’s done more her attitude towards it possibly down the line

Edit: she did say failing is a blessing in disguise that she wishes she’d had experience of in school to learn from, but I feel that’s semi fallen by the way side in the year since that video in 2019

Addition to my post above (it’s not letting me edit for some reason) but I wanted to clarify I’m not saying she has to fail or wallow in it etc, as I said it’s more her attitude, and approach/understanding that there is a chance she may not get everything she wants and she’s not always going to be able to supplant these things in a relatively short space of time

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
In the RubyReads Facebook group another member has suggested the books should be changed to books by black authors as it's Black History Month in the UK (they can't be now as people have already purchased them) but it's embarrassing that other members think of these things where Ruby is completely oblivious, and shows how performative her Holocause Memorial Day antics are.

Reactions: 21
I'm not surprised she's got it, given that the uni has paid her to do ads for them before...
I'd
In the RubyReads Facebook group another member has suggested the books should be changed to books by black authors as it's Black History Month in the UK (they can't be now as people have already purchased them) but it's embarrassing that other members think of these things where Ruby is completely oblivious, and shows how performative her Holocause Memorial Day antics are.

Correction: Black History Month in the US is in February, October in the UK.

Reactions: 15
I love this book but there’s so much sex! Even some questionable sexual scenes with an underage girl

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.