Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love this book but there’s so much sex! Even some questionable sexual scenes with an underage girl
Exactly! And considering it's one of Ruby/Erimenthas rules to not read anything with those topics I'm interested to see if she ever does read it.

Reactions: 3
Her eye bag fetish is one of the weirdest things about her. Idk if she realizes it’s not smart to vocalize every stupid little obsession. I mean we all have them, but most of them are private and a little embarrassing.

Reactions: 11
Exactly! And considering it's one of Ruby/Erimenthas rules to not read anything with those topics I'm interested to see if she ever does read it.
Even i found the sex scenes hard to read, I think ruby will faint

however Murakami is a fantastic writer, my favourite author And compared to Ruby’s writing her book is like a gcse English Exam

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I went through her GoodReads once looking for ideas of things to read and there are some strange choices in her wants to read list.

I had a quick glance these were the ones that stood out for me:
Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare (Yes Shakespeare is very Ruby but this is notorious for violence and sexual content)
Heaven's Harlots: My Fifteen Years as a Sacred Prostitute in the Children of God Cult by Miriam Williams -
Possession: A Romance by A.S. Byatt
Tiny Pretty Things by Sona Charaipotra
Captive: A Mother's Crusade to Save Her Daughter from the Terrifying Cult Nxivm by Catherine Oxenberg
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov
Girl Made of Starsby Ashley Herring Blake (Rape; Consent Issues; Victim Blaming)

Also quite a few books of anorexia and body image...

I feel like either part of her wants to branch out and either she's scared or doesn't want it to affect her Ruby Granger persona that she's worked so hard on. Also looking back at the list it looks like most of the sexual content is rape rather than consentual sex which brings up more issues.

I did find some books for my TBR though.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I went through her GoodReads once looking for ideas of things to read and there are some strange choices in her wants to read list.

I had a quick glance these were the ones that stood out for me:
Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare (Yes Shakespeare is very Ruby but this is notorious for violence and sexual content)
Heaven's Harlots: My Fifteen Years as a Sacred Prostitute in the Children of God Cult by Miriam Williams -
Possession: A Romance by A.S. Byatt
Tiny Pretty Things by Sona Charaipotra
Captive: A Mother's Crusade to Save Her Daughter from the Terrifying Cult Nxivm by Catherine Oxenberg
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov
Girl Made of Starsby Ashley Herring Blake (Rape; Consent Issues; Victim Blaming)

Also quite a few books of anorexia and body image...

I feel like either part of her wants to branch out and either she's scared or doesn't want it to affect her Ruby Granger persona that she's worked so hard on. Also looking back at the list it looks like most of the sexual content is rape rather than consentual sex which brings up more issues.

I did find some books for my TBR though.
I actually couldn't even finish Lolita because I found the subject material so gross. Like yeah I get it the writing is great blah blah but... 🤢 So kind of surprised Ruby could stomach it! I think a lot of her 'views' on these kind of things are just an act or exaggerated by people. Honestly I find sex scenes really cringey (especially in Stephen King books.. Lol) which doesn't automatically make someone immature, it's just a personal preference. But I don't throw down a book and burn it if I come across one and I doubt Ruby does either

Reactions: 5
I actually couldn't even finish Lolita because I found the subject material so gross. Like yeah I get it the writing is great blah blah but... 🤢 So kind of surprised Ruby could stomach it! I think a lot of her 'views' on these kind of things are just an act or exaggerated by people. Honestly I find sex scenes really cringey (especially in Stephen King books.. Lol) which doesn't automatically make someone immature, it's just a personal preference. But I don't throw down a book and burn it if I come across one and I doubt Ruby does either
I really don’t like reading cringe sex stuff either, I’d genuinely prefer to watch a cringe sex scene in a movie rather than read it, idk why. I really would not like to read about graphic descriptions of non consensual sex either. I understand it’s educational and that, but I’m quite surprised how many books with that theme she has on there

Reactions: 8
I think she was definitely reading here when we were commenting on her not wanting to read about romance and stuff and suddenly she went full on sex, prostitution, child abuse and who knows what else as if she was trying to prove us wrong lol. I bet she will reread Anne from Green Gables again instead of actually trying to read these either way.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I really don’t like reading cringe sex stuff either, I’d genuinely rather watch a cringe sex scene in a movie rather than read it, idk why. I really would not like to read about graphic descriptions of non consensual sex either. I understand it’s educational and that, but I’m quite surprised how many books with that theme she has on there
I feel like cringy and graphic sex scenes are way less prevalent in literature than in movies. Like idk maybe I've been lucky and I've avoided most of them but if the book contains sex scenes, they're usually quickly described in like three or four lines max and they're not usually very graphic.

Lolita was one of my favorite books when I was in uni, not sure if I would like it as much now that I understand the world a little better. I’m aro/ace and I don’t know if that has anything to do with it, but I generally find sex scenes just super boring these days. It’s all just friction to me 😂 My main objection with CMBYN was precisely that, it was a snoozefest with pretentious young people at the center.

I think she was definitely reading here when we were commenting on her not wanting to read about romance and stuff and suddenly she went full on sex, prostitution, child abuse and who knows what else as if she was trying to prove us wrong lol. I bet she will reread Anne from Green Gables again instead of actually trying to read these either way.
It almost sounds like she's scared to read about normal, consensual relationships with no child abuse or dubious consent or straight up rape lmao like it's either one of two extremes, there's no in between

Reactions: 5
Lolita was one of my favorite books when I was in uni, not sure if I would like it as much now that I understand the world a little better. I’m aro/ace and I don’t know if that has anything to do with it, but I generally find sex scenes just super boring these days. It’s all just friction to me 😂 My main objection with CMBYN was precisely that, it was a snoozefest with pretentious young people at the center.
Nothing to do with ruby but I just love seeing other aro people on here 👋💛

I don't know how to explain myself very well but I think what all of us meant with our criticism was that Ruby should be able to read books where romance and sex is a topic but not necessarily an issue. Like there are a lot of books with sex scenes or romance scenes that are not problematic and a normal part of the story, just like sexuality and romance is a part of life? I think it's worrying that Ruby wants to read so many books about pedophilia and rape and abusive situations when that is seemingly the only kind of ""romance"" she reads about.

Reactions: 7
I would pay good money to see a reading vlog from Ruby reading Fifty Shades of Grey or something 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I just find a lot of sex scenes are trying so hard to be edgy. Like oh you fucked a peach? Great, I don't care 😂

I don't know how to explain myself very well but I think what all of us meant with our criticism was that Ruby should be able to read books where romance and sex is a topic but not necessarily an issue. Like there are a lot of books with sex scenes or romance scenes that are not problematic and a normal part of the story, just like sexuality and romance is a part of life? I think it's worrying that Ruby wants to read so many books about pedophilia and rape and abusive situations when that is seemingly the only kind of ""romance"" she reads about.
Kind of a stretch. Just scrolling through her goodreads extremely briefly she's read: The fault in our stars; Normal people; Pride and prejudice; Every day; The great gatsby; Tender is the night... All books with a focus on relationships and not about rape or pedophilia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
I don't know if we can really speculate about people's personal issues based on the books they plan to read. Sometimes it's as simple as going through somebody else's goodreads or a booktuber's recommendations and going "yeah that sounds interesting, add to TBR", "oh that sounds interesting too, add". And they could all be of a similar theme due to that.
I know after I had just finished "My side of the mountain" and reading reviews of it, other titles started to emerge, (like "Hatchet" for example) and I thought they all sounded interesting so I addd them to my wishlist. Doesn't mean I plan to run away from home! :p

Reactions: 6
I thought it was interesting that she was wearing 'normal' clothes when she filmed her outro - on a day that she wasn't expecting to film. This makes me suspect more & more that all her vintage/random collars/etc stuff is just for her Ruby Granger character.

Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.