Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry this is off topic but I just remembered her saying her parents took her to Glastonbury as kid and it's really thrown me because I just cant imagine her at any music festival
I think her parents are wannabe hippies at heart, they just got caught up in having a lot of money. I also think HelloItsRooBee is a put-on personality. The upper middle class can afford such things 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Here was me thinking she’d be breaking her comfort zone and getting some external experience, but nope, at the uni which has already paid her....

Reactions: 13
It's BBQ time!

Erimentha immediately shades Mrs Barton (Kimberly and Ella's mum) for appearing to be falsely friendly with her mum on arrival. She also judges her for wearing silk, but spares the grown ups with, "Did you know [silkworm cruelty]?"

Nathan is discarded downstairs and the girls go towards Kimberly's room. Erimentha does everything possible to be awkward - wondering how they keep the cream carpets so clean because Kimberly's pumps are leaving a damp trail, and Erimentha outright asks if her mum allows her to wear shoes upstairs. "Who are you, her mum?" says Beth, which to be fair, is appropriate to ask - it's not her house.

Erimentha talks about Kimberly's cold, pale irises again, probably because she plans to store them in a jar in future. I'm unsure which aesthetic this fits into.

Erimentha continues to be judgy, internally criticising Kimberly's dirty shoes, messy room, that she has far more makeup than is age appropriate. Kimberly starts putting lipstick on and our fair lady just cannot contain herself. "You know, most lipsticks are made from whale blubber?" and is 'ready to recount the unethical history of the cosmetics industry' when Kimberly puts her in her place, "No facts at my house, Erimentha"

That was fair game considering Erimentha has been snobby, insulting and rude since arrival.

She draws on Erimentha's cheek with the lipstick and takes a photo. Erimentha pipes up that she has not given consent for the photo to be shared, and that they're breaking the law by being on social media under the age of 13. Every party has it's pooper (although Erimentha has probably evolved beyond ordinary human capabilities and no longer passes stool)

What happens next is one of them cuts a chunk of her hair to make a Voodoo doll. Erimentha, who could not be more insufferable at this point, states that Voodoo does not work and the dolls are only sold as part of tourism. [Ed: Actually, Rube, it's a common misconception that Voodoo dolls are related to Haitan or Louisiana voodoo]

She remembers she has a brother and goes downstairs to find him, presumably to use him as a human shield. She joins Ella (Kimberly's sister) on the sofa with a book

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
This entire story definitely reads like what someone who's never had to experience bullying imagines bullying to be like

Reactions: 30
This entire story definitely reads like what someone who's never had to experience bullying imagines bullying to be like
I agree, cutting hair, putting lipstick on the face? It’s just weird

Reactions: 8
I agree, cutting hair, putting lipstick on the face? It’s just weird
Exactly, kids are cruel and no doubt bullies do exist but I just don't see this being the kind of stuff they would do? Idk I was bullied pretty badly at school and most of it was verbal,

Reactions: 5
Does anyone know if Rubys eating problems have improved? It seemed as though she was on the verge of an ED a while back.

Reactions: 1
Exactly, kids are cruel and no doubt bullies do exist but I just don't see this being the kind of stuff they would do? Idk I was bullied pretty badly at school and most of it was verbal,
Yeah exactly, physical stuff does happen but the vast majority is verbal and over social media as well. The bullying in this book isn’t beyond the realms of possibility, but it is hard to imagine

Reactions: 9
i feel like in the first half of her blog, when she was talking to the camera about preparing for her interview, she came across as more mature and likeable (similar to her first year of uni), but then when she went for her walk she put on her hermione granger voice again for some reason.

also, why is she so against naps? throughout the video she kept mentioning how unwell she felt and how she had nothing urgent to do and all i could think of was, TAKE A NAP! then again that may be why i only got a 2:1 at uni, not a first; i used pretty much any excuse to take a nap

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
She draws on Erimentha's cheek with the lipstick and takes a photo. Erimentha pipes up that she has not given consent for the photo to be shared, and that they're breaking the law by being on social media under the age of 13.
And she wonders why people dislike her?
Does Ruby actually think this is normal behaviour and her protagonist is not the absolute most insufferable kid in the UK?

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Erimentha talks about Kimberly's cold, pale irises again, probably because she plans to store them in a jar in future. I'm unsure which aesthetic this fits into.
Dark cottagecore (apparently this is a thing) with a tiiiiiny twist of serial killer 😅👀

Also also, I was bullied all throughout school, and while I would normally be the first one to say there’s NEVER an excuse for bullying someone, Erimentha is really, really challenging me to change my mind about this. Does she really not realize how unlikable of a character she’s created? I refuse to believe Ruby herself is quite this obnoxious irl.

Reactions: 14
So wait, the internship is run by the uni? Congrats on her for getting it, I think she'll learn some valuable skills and experiences but I can't help feeling her representing the uni through paid ads had a say in it

She looked like she'd been crying and seemed really down at approx 8mins in, no wonder though with the controversy surrounding the memorial #paidAD

Reactions: 26
I think her parents are wannabe hippies at heart, they just got caught up in having a lot of money. I also think HelloItsRooBee is a put-on personality. The upper middle class can afford such things 😂
I have to say, before I knew her dad worked in finance I’d assumed he‘d got rich in music. He’s got that aging rocker look and the drum kit and piano in the house made me assume a musical background somewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
It's BBQ time!

Erimentha immediately shades Mrs Barton (Kimberly and Ella's mum) for appearing to be falsely friendly with her mum on arrival. She also judges her for wearing silk, but spares the grown ups with, "Did you know [silkworm cruelty]?"

Nathan is discarded downstairs and the girls go towards Kimberly's room. Erimentha does everything possible to be awkward - wondering how they keep the cream carpets so clean because Kimberly's pumps are leaving a damp trail, and Erimentha outright asks if her mum allows her to wear shoes upstairs. "Who are you, her mum?" says Beth, which to be fair, is appropriate to ask - it's not her house.

Erimentha continues to be judgy, internally criticising Kimberly's dirty shoes, messy room, that she has far more makeup than is age appropriate. Kimberly starts putting lipstick on and our fair lady just cannot contain herself. "You know, most lipsticks are made from whale blubber?" and is 'ready to recount the unethical history of the cosmetics industry' when Kimberly puts her in her place, "No facts at my house, Erimentha"

That was fair game considering Erimentha has been snobby, insulting and rude since arrival.

She draws on Erimentha's cheek with the lipstick and takes a photo. Erimentha pipes up that she has not given consent for the photo to be shared, and that they're breaking the law by being on social media under the age of 13. Every party has it's pooper (although Erimentha has probably evolved beyond ordinary human capabilities and no longer passes stool)

What happens next is one of them cuts a chunk of her hair to make a Voodoo doll. Erimentha, who could not be more insufferable at this point, states that Voodoo does not work and the dolls are only sold as part of tourism. [Ed: Actually, Rube, it's a common misconception that Voodoo dolls are related to Haitan or Louisiana voodoo]

She remembers she has a brother and goes downstairs to find him, presumably to use him as a human shield. She joins Ella (Kimberly's sister) on the sofa with a book
God, Erimentha is an arse!

Reactions: 8
I really hope that she will stick to the internship and not run home as soon as someone snezzes across the road

Reactions: 5
I really hope that she will stick to the internship and not run home as soon as someone snezzes across the road
I assumed the internship could be done solely online, in which case Ruby doesn't have to justify staying at home. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 10
Although I wish she'd addressed the backlash, I do think she came across much better in this video than she has in a while. It was nice to see her taking the initiative of applying for an internship and going to a proper university reading group (rather than doing one of her typical pointless extension projects on Plath instead). I hope she makes more videos like this.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.