Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree that we would but I think either way it needs to be contextualised. I think it is strange that Ruby doesn’t want to grow up, especially as she’s wealthy enough not to have to worry about most adult responsibilities, and there’s clearly something worrying there. I also think that she and her family are incredibly innocent if they can’t see that Ruby posting the kind of photos she does isn’t going to attract some very questionable people, but again, she’s an adult and her body, her choice. I think she might regret it though as I genuinely think she doesn’t realise that not everyone thinks it’s just sweet and innocent, and I think that plays into her and her family not seeing it as that strange. The reality is we wouldn’t have a problem if Ruby was into cosplay or similar, the problem here is that it clearly goes way beyond ‘dressing up at the weekend’, it’s her way of life.
Yeah I get what you're saying and I agree. Youtube a few years ago (thinking 10+) allowed viewers to see the stats of videos - age and gender as well as location, I wonder what Rubys would be? Is it possible to find out?

I do feel though if it was a 20 year old man who acted like a child, dressed like a child, read mostly childrens books and had images of children on his walls he'd be treated a lot differently and would honestly probably be on a watch list. I also feel like the parents would act differently towards a son behaving this way.
Not saying that Ruby is doing this all for the wrong reasons at all, I do truly believe she just doesn't want to grow up it's just interesting to think about the attitudes we'd have based on the persons gender.

Reactions: 16
For anyone who saw my previous post about Ruby's pictures on her wall, please don't take this as me accusing her of having bad intentions or interests. I really don't think that Ruby is someone who would cause harm, but I had just been wondering if anyone else is also put off by how far she has taken this character of herself. I used to enjoy Ruby's content, but I think that after a while I began to see that she really is stuck in this persona and it seems that she has actually regressed to a point where she is no longer relatable and actually becomes concerning. I really thought that as she got older she'd be more open to embracing more social issues and being more in touch with her audience, but after the holocaust ad post and her recent dress-up videos and room tours, it just seems that she's attempting to mask her privilege with her image of a naive girl who doesn't know any better. I think this is the case for a lot of YouTubers. For example, Jade masks her own privilege through a very skewed image of spirituality (the whole casual magic thing).

Reactions: 23
For anyone who saw my previous post about Ruby's pictures on her wall, please don't take this as me accusing her of having bad intentions or interests. I really don't think that Ruby is someone who would cause harm, but I had just been wondering if anyone else is also put off by how far she has taken this character of herself. I used to enjoy Ruby's content, but I think that after a while I began to see that she really is stuck in this persona and it seems that she has actually regressed to a point where she is no longer relatable and actually becomes concerning. I really thought that as she got older she'd be more open to embracing more social issues and being more in touch with her audience, but after the holocaust ad post and her recent dress-up videos and room tours, it just seems that she's attempting to mask her privilege with her image of a naive girl who doesn't know any better. I think this is the case for a lot of YouTubers. For example, Jade masks her own privilege through a very skewed image of spirituality (the whole casual magic thing).
It really is just an image, I think that the Holocaust thing has shown her true colours, that she's not as naive and well-intentioned as she wants people to think.

Reactions: 9
I get what you mean re: regression. For me it’s apparent she’s in her 20s but the idolisation of childish outfits and childish literature with no indication (in her content) that she has any interests in growing up, which does cause some concern for me. Will she still be fetishising skipping though a field every day when she is older? It’s all a bit much. I understand liking to wear pinafore dress a la 1960s, or rereading the occasional childhood favourite novel, but practically every video the past few months has given me the impression that her striving for an ‘aesthetic’ has become an obsessive pursuit. Being Hermione in Book 1, reading many many YA books this past year, skipping around in the garden getting Mummy to film her, wearing pigtails and boaters etc etc. Being giddy about the show Matilda. Altogether, it’s a bit much. I guess it’s like when some people REALLY get into a new hobby and they get all the gear, join all the groups, talk about it all the time that it takes over and becomes them... It’s possible to enjoy the pinafore dress aesthetic as a woman but style it up appropriately for work; it possible to keep your school boater hat in a cupboard for posterity and memories without wearing it in lookbooks as an actual item of your current wardrobe. It’s possible to indulge in rereading Harry Potter as an adult without every thing you do being done in reference to it. Etc etc. I think Ruby needs to broaden her horizons, acknowledge her privilege and mistakes and grow up. She’s due to graduate next year and she still strikes me as a 13 year old girl.

I just feel Ruby seems scared to grow up. I can imagine there may be many reasons why, but it’s not healthy.

Reactions: 22
I do feel though if it was a 20 year old man who acted like a child, dressed like a child, read mostly childrens books and had images of children on his walls he'd be treated a lot differently and would honestly probably be on a watch list. I also feel like the parents would act differently towards a son behaving this way.
(Read in Michael Jackson's voice: THat'S IgNorAnT! YoU'Re IgNoRanT! Heee-hee! Shamon!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I think if a man were acting this way then it would be picked up as a problem much, much sooner and he’d probably be directed towards help - and I’m not saying it’d necessarily be anything sinister, I know an Aspie who behaves just like that, he has some immature behaviours, has rules about clothes and dresses in a childlike way (i.e would never wear a shirt and tie and lives in simple t-shirts and sweaters and would wear something ‘too young’ because he likes the picture on it), and reads a lot of children’s books. Admittedly he doesn’t have pictures of children on his walls but he does have loads of pictures of characters from tv shows he loves. I’m not saying Ruby’s on the spectrum (although I have wondered), and I agree we view this differently because of gender. Women often get infantilised anyway and it’s not always seen as a problem to be a woman who wants to be looked after ...

Reactions: 8
I usually lurk around here, but I do admit that I find her general relationship with childhood / innocence / being the picture perfect good two shoes a little bit concerning. It is clear that it is a performance (as all gender is and all), but I don't think saying it reveals something is going too far. Some men absolutely have sinister intentions towards women who infantilise themselves, consciously or not. Some women do that to escape the sexualisation they associate with womanhood, to feel ''taken care'' of, but I have also known two women in many life who built a whole cutesy and innocent image only to be actual terrible, manipulative people behind and play more easily as a victim. I am not saying Ruby is doing that, but I am saying I'd be interested to know how long she can keep this up. Good for her on creating her own online space, but I know that if someone my age (26) and in my work/study environment acted like this, I couldn't take them seriously at all. Interestingly I also think this might keep her from developing more ''serious'' interests: I know this is a little mean, but a lot of the things she says on literature seem extremely surface level, skirting around thematics you need to face sooner or later and critical theory? I really think she can cry bullies and all, but a lot of people also watch her because they find her cringey side fascinating, and I think she might suffer from that childish image she's built for herself. Plus, people eventually have to grow up.

Reactions: 14
I totally agree with you and can see it wasn't trying to say Ruby is a sinister person or anything. I agree it's honestly just super weird and not the most appropriate thing to be doing as a 20 year old

I think this may be another factor putting Ruby off having a relationship, she'd have to alter some of her behaviours - can you imagine her inviting a guy around and him seeing photos of random kids on her wall / on her desk? If I had stuff like that in my room my boyfriend would 100% be weirded out

Reactions: 2
Interesting. You’d think she’d comment more publicly given that her online persona is so closely aligned with Harry Potter. Would be interesting to have her perspective as it’s such a difficult subject for so many people who loved HP as kids. But perhaps that would require a level of maturity we can’t really expect...
I know she doesn’t mention JK by name all the time, but even I was thinking this and I think she could have gone down a similar route to the Super Carlin Brothers who literally built their livelihoods and a channel with two million subscribers on analysis of the HP books, they addressed it clearly and consisely first in a live stream (because they didn’t do HP content for a couple weeks while I was all going on) then included That discussion in a few of their next HP videos (they post twice a week so I think this was for about two to three weeks) and from then on until now they don’t mention her by name just referring to “the author” if they need to clarify her intention whilst writing the book especially relating to Snape etc

I must admit even I had noticed that she hadn’t seemed to say anything concrete, similar to her “clearing up” the Holocaust remembrance scuffle with a story that disappeared after a day, it’s just simply not enough when it’s such a huge part of her and her brand, yes it’s confusing for fans but that’s exactly why people would relate to her if she just came out and said that but she just doesn’t and that just kinda makes it worse, like she’s trying to live in a world where big issues like that are just other peoples issues that don’t affect her when with a platform like hers she has to admit they kinda do and she needs to show solidarity with those hurt fans

Reactions: 12
I agree, but I do bad for ruby though. She’s like this because her mum enables it and encourages it, her mum seems like she’s not really done much apart from raise kids, work part time and write blog posts. She’s been very involved with rubys videos recently as well (prob due to lockdown) and the way she acts with ruby, it’s like she doesn’t see a problem at all. I understand it to an extent, some parents struggle when they realise all their kids have left home to get jobs or go to uni, they want to hang on to them as if they’re still kids, but it’s just going to damage ruby in the long term

Reactions: 17
I agree, but I do bad for ruby though. She’s like this because her mum enables it and encourages it, her mum seems like she’s not really done much apart from raise kids, work part time and write blog posts. She’s been very involved with rubys videos recently as well (prob due to lockdown) and the way she acts with ruby, it’s like she doesn’t see a problem at all. I understand it to an extent, some parents struggle when they realise all their kids have left home to get jobs or go to uni, they want to hang on to them as if they’re still kids, but it’s just going to damage ruby in the long term
I agree. Has anyone seen this? It's so weird how she talks to her https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGx...tory_media_id=2374270047406525454_39247334895

I agree. Has anyone seen this? It's so weird how she talks to her https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGx...tory_media_id=2374270047406525454_39247334895
I can't see the story because I don't have an Instagram account but it's very weird that her Instagram name is "Mother Granger" considering that is not their real last name and it's just Ruby's Internet nickname modeled on a fictional character.
It feels a little bit like her mother is trying to live vicariously through Ruby and experience some of the attention Ruby gets by being so active and involved in her Youtube channel.

Reactions: 17
I know she doesn’t mention JK by name all the time, but even I was thinking this and I think she could have gone down a similar route to the Super Carlin Brothers who literally built their livelihoods and a channel with two million subscribers on analysis of the HP books, they addressed it clearly and consisely first in a live stream (because they didn’t do HP content for a couple weeks while I was all going on) then included That discussion in a few of their next HP videos (they post twice a week so I think this was for about two to three weeks) and from then on until now they don’t mention her by name just referring to “the author” if they need to clarify her intention whilst writing the book especially relating to Snape etc

I must admit even I had noticed that she hadn’t seemed to say anything concrete, similar to her “clearing up” the Holocaust remembrance scuffle with a story that disappeared after a day, it’s just simply not enough when it’s such a huge part of her and her brand, yes it’s confusing for fans but that’s exactly why people would relate to her if she just came out and said that but she just doesn’t and that just kinda makes it worse, like she’s trying to live in a world where big issues like that are just other peoples issues that don’t affect her when with a platform like hers she has to admit they kinda do and she needs to show solidarity with those hurt fans
Do you not realise how ridiculous it is to build your career off somebody else's and then not give them any credit because they said it was dehumanising to refer to women as people who menstruate?

• Angry
I can imagine her mom getting involved to stop Ruby having a melt down if she said no look at how Ruby reacted when she couldn't get the book she wanted

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Do you not realise how ridiculous it is to build your career off somebody else's and then not give them any credit because they said it was dehumanising to refer to women as people who menstruate?
This is what half of the Harry Potter cast have done tbh 😂 I don't think Ruby needs to share her opinions on JK Rowling, tbh I find it a bit cringe when people demand that public figures discuss whatever the hot social issue of the week is. Talk about what you actually care about and believe in. It all feels a bit Facebook virtue signalling to me when you tubers suddenly start discussing social issues they've never mentioned before just because it's in the news. Like it reminds me of when I got called homophobic for not having a rainbow filter on my FB profile pic when I AM bleeping GAY 😐😐

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Jk deserves no sympathy
So she deserves the rape and death threats she gets every single day? The people telling her to suck on their girl cocks? The people saying they wish she committed suicide or that they wanted to kill her?

This is what half of the Harry Potter cast have done tbh 😂 I don't think Ruby needs to share her opinions on JK Rowling, tbh I find it a bit cringe when people demand that public figures discuss whatever the hot social issue of the week is. Talk about what you actually care about and believe in. It all feels a bit Facebook virtue signalling to me when you tubers suddenly start discussing social issues they've never mentioned before just because it's in the news. Like it reminds me of when I got called homophobic for not having a rainbow filter on my FB profile pic when I AM bleeping GAY 😐😐
I think the same thing about the Harry Potter cast tbh and I agree. Ruby isn't an activist for anything but crappy vintage clothes and studying.

I think the same thing about the Harry Potter cast tbh and I agree. Ruby isn't an activist for anything but crappy vintage clothes and studying.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
So she deserves the rape and death threats she gets every single day?
This woman you're talking about is richer than the Queen, I'm sure she's doing just fine lmao
Frankly I couldn't care less about JKR at this point. I think she's pretty pathetic.
I don't think Ruby needs to address the issue or that it means anything if she doesn't address it. After all this is not the focus of her channel and when she mentions Harry Potter Ruby doesn't really talk about the author.

Just clarifying I was just sharing the example of another YouTube channel who handled the situation as it’s ingrained in their content as it is, all be it to a lesser extent, in Ruby’s original foundations of her channel. I’ve re-read my post and realised I worded it wrong I should have said “she could have looked to the example of other channels” rather than suggesting I think she should exactly follow exactly what they were doing. I simply noticed a comparison but I apologise for going about it the wrong way and I’m really sorry for my post.

Last edited:
It shows a worrying lack of empathy if you think this sort of behaviour is acceptable. Somebody being rich does not negate the mental impact consistent abuse can do. You criticise Ruby for minor things and then endorse genuine rape and death threats? Disturbing and hypocritical.
I'm not endorsing anything, I'm saying that I don't think JKR is a person who needs my sympathy or anybody else's and it's not what I'm here to discuss honestly since this thread is not about her.

for fear of being called transphobic
Or maybe they just don't agree with her?

Reactions: 2
I mean you are endorsing death and rape threats by saying 'she's richer than the Queen' as if that somehow negates the effects of abuse.
Whatever lmao as I said I really don't care about JKR, I think she's a pathetic cash-grabber desperately trying to stay relevant and make even more money off of her books. She can block people on Twitter or get off the Internet if people are mean to her. I'm sure she can find plenty of other things to do in one of her mansions.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.