Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry to be that annoying person but I go in and out of following Ruby. What's this book thing? I assumed she's writing a book but why's it not accessible to everyone?

To be fair older people used to do this. My (super ancient) grandma has several porcelains and artworks of children. I believe it was a weird fashion during late 50s.
But I think it suits older people because of the religious aspects and also the fact that they have children and grandchildren. There's something maternal about it. Ruby does not at all fit into these categories. I think that's what strikes me as odd.

Reactions: 10
What on earth is the source of the bottom right photo of the miserable looking girl with red hair?
‘Anne with an E’ a Netflix show. That is the main actress from, I assume, a behind the scenes picture.

The show is fantastic, but that’s a little strange to me. Ruby probably very much idolises it and the original books.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’m quite new and I think I know the answer to this but: has Ruby made any comments about JK Rowling’s transphobia?

Reactions: 9
Can we please talk about her wall with the collage of children's pictures? Does anyone else find it weird/concerning that she has a clear obsession with prepubescent children and young teens? I mentioned this before, but in her 10,000 words in a day video, she had this picture of a young Mackenzie Foy just sitting on her desk. Idk, as an adult, I wouldn't put pictures of children who I am not related to on my wall. I also mentioned this in another post, but this would be a huge red flag if an adult man were to have this for "aesthetic" purposes. Something about it rubs me the wrong way View attachment 414123View attachment 414108
Just a clarification. I'm sure that Ruby doesn't mean anything sinister by this, but from an adult and gendered perspective, it's interesting how we give adult women a pass to show interest in children/childhood. As if there's something inherently childlike and innocent in grown women that makes them incapable of doing harm. A man of Ruby's age would certainly be questioned more critically. I just found it interesting that Ruby does such a good job at playing a child that we forget that she's actually in her 20s.

Just a clarification. I'm sure that Ruby doesn't mean anything sinister by this, but from an adult and gendered perspective, it's interesting how we give adult women a pass to show interest in children/childhood. As if there's something inherently childlike and innocent in grown women that makes them incapable of doing harm. A man of Ruby's age would certainly be questioned more critically. I just found it interesting that Ruby does such a good job at playing a child that we (or her audience) forget that she's actually in her 20s.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Just a clarification. I'm sure that Ruby doesn't mean anything sinister by this, but from an adult and gendered perspective, it's interesting how we give adult women a pass to show interest in children/childhood. As if there's something inherently childlike and innocent in grown women that makes them incapable of doing harm. A man of Ruby's age would certainly be questioned more critically. I just found it interesting that Ruby does such a good job at playing a child that we forget that she's actually in her 20s.
Actually that’s a really good point and something I think needs to be considered a lot more when ruby is playing dress up as a child. We as a society would definitely be treating it differently if she was male

Reactions: 18
Sorry to be that annoying person but I go in and out of following Ruby. What's this book thing? I assumed she's writing a book but why's it not accessible to everyone?
She wrote that book a few years ago, it’s just the person doing the reviews here took the bullet for all of us and bought it so we don’t have to :)

I’m quite new and I think I know the answer to this but: has Ruby made any comments about JK Rowling’s transphobia?
Apparently it was discussed in the book club zoom call. I left the call before they started discussing it though

Reactions: 2
Apparently it was discussed in the book club zoom call. I left the call before they started discussing it though
Interesting. You’d think she’d comment more publicly given that her online persona is so closely aligned with Harry Potter. Would be interesting to have her perspective as it’s such a difficult subject for so many people who loved HP as kids. But perhaps that would require a level of maturity we can’t really expect...

Reactions: 14
She wrote that book a few years ago, it’s just the person doing the reviews here took the bullet for all of us and bought it so we don’t have to :)
I seeee thank you! Is it a physical book?

And a final annoying question, where is her family home?

I don't think it's sinister that Ruby has pictures of children on her walls. They're clearly not random kids that she photographed without permission. Yes, it might have been different if she was a man, but she's not - she's a 20 year old woman living at home who acts like a child. It's weird and possibly unhealthy but it's not creepy or sinister, and I don't think we should make comparisons to Lolita.

Reactions: 9
I don't think it's sinister that Ruby has pictures of children on her walls. They're clearly not random kids that she photographed without permission. Yes, it might have been different if she was a man, but she's not - she's a 20 year old woman living at home who acts like a child. It's weird and possibly unhealthy but it's not creepy or sinister, and I don't think we should make comparisons to Lolita.
I clarified that I was talking about the gendered nuances between how our society perceives men and women in relation to children and childhood. Not that she herself has sinister intentions.

Reactions: 7
Actually that’s a really good point and something I think needs to be considered a lot more when ruby is playing dress up as a child. We as a society would definitely be treating it differently if she was male
I agree that we would but I think either way it needs to be contextualised. I think it is strange that Ruby doesn’t want to grow up, especially as she’s wealthy enough not to have to worry about most adult responsibilities, and there’s clearly something worrying there. I also think that she and her family are incredibly innocent if they can’t see that Ruby posting the kind of photos she does isn’t going to attract some very questionable people, but again, she’s an adult and her body, her choice. I think she might regret it though as I genuinely think she doesn’t realise that not everyone thinks it’s just sweet and innocent, and I think that plays into her and her family not seeing it as that strange. The reality is we wouldn’t have a problem if Ruby was into cosplay or similar, the problem here is that it clearly goes way beyond ‘dressing up at the weekend’, it’s her way of life.

Reactions: 5
I started reading The Secret History last night and although I'm only around 100 pages in it's so obvious how much of herself Ruby bases on this book, I can see why she loves it so much

Side note - I'm having a hard time not getting annoyed at the characters and how pretentious and irritable they can be. Is it worth keeping going? I've heard so many good things about this book I almost feel as if I should like it, and I'm not sure if I'm just having trouble getting into this book at first
I couldn't stand The Secret History tbh, couldn't give two shits whether any of the characters lived or died. Annoyed at the tome I've spent on it. I think the book is the very thing that it supposedly criticized; self important, obnoxious and pretentious. Continue if you enjoy but I think life is too short to be irritated by a book we read for fun.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I think it's also due to the fact that women are associated with motherhood and being naturally more maternal. So we are kind of expected to gravitate more towards children and find them cute etc.
Obviously Ruby doesn't seem to have realized yet that she's old enough to have a child herself and she's certainly too old to behave like one.

Reactions: 8
I seeee thank you! Is it a physical book?

And a final annoying question, where is her family home?
Looks like there’s a physical version!

And they live in East Sussex I believe

Edit: someone else said it’s Buckinghamshire which makes more sense, I got confused with her dad’s companies house listing stuff

Last edited:
Also like I love cute baby and toddler videos on Youtube as much as the next guy but I feel like there's a difference between watching stuff on Youtube and plastering your bedroom wall with old-fashioned pictures of children.

Reactions: 7
Also like I love cute baby and toddler videos on Youtube as much as the next guy but I feel like there's a difference between watching stuff on Youtube and plastering your bedroom wall with old-fashioned pictures of children.
Yes, I think the "creepiness" or what a lot of people find odd is that she goes beyond the aesthetics and actually adopts childlike behaviors. It wasn't that it was sinister, but that she seems to only gravitate towards very naive and young kids for inspiration. Like, middle grade kids are not at all emotionally mature at all (such as 1st year Hermione). But these are the characteristics and looks that she prefers. I think for a lot of us, it's just hard to understand why this is. Also in her book, she seems to value purity over experience/growth. She stays away from anything that is too "adult" when in reality those adult themes are just normal parts of growing up.

Reactions: 11
Update on the JK stuff, here’s what someone said they discussed:

“the main discussion was because apparently there’s a new tv series coming out (most people thought it was unnecessary and a money grab) and that if you want Harry Potter books or merch you should buy second hand or from unofficial sellers so no more money goes to JK”

Annoyed I left the call now, would’ve liked to see if Ruby contributed to this part

Reactions: 3
See I say all this about her being child like, wanting to cling on to certain aspects of her childhood and forget she's an actual landlord (assuming she rents her cottage out that is) I wonder if any family help her out with that in terms of tax etc. I do think her childhood obsession is all innocent though just a bit concerning. Off topic slightly but Rachel Maksy did an Anne with an E lookbook and it was gorgeous, she is what Ruby would be like if she let her self grow up a bit, somewhat nerdy, into vintage etc but still very much a professional adult

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.