Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
This could be it. But if that was the case, surely the amount of topics would be broad enough that she could easily choose another with minimal disruption. And she would’ve known the topic due to pre reading for the seminar. She sounds like the sort that is very precious about her “original” ideas but at degree level with 300+ students is there really going to be something no one has thought of before? You can take the most popular topic and if you write it well against the grading criteria you will still score highly!
Yeah originality is important but they're not going to hold it against you if someone has a similar topic to you. I wonder what she will write her dissertation on? We had to submit our titles/topics in second year.

Reactions: 2

n8459

Chatty Member
I started reading The Secret History last night and although I'm only around 100 pages in it's so obvious how much of herself Ruby bases on this book, I can see why she loves it so much

Side note - I'm having a hard time not getting annoyed at the characters and how pretentious and irritable they can be. Is it worth keeping going? I've heard so many good things about this book I almost feel as if I should like it, and I'm not sure if I'm just having trouble getting into this book at first

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
I don't have an Instagram, is it actually that bad?
Ruby should be more mature than her 12 year old fans tbh like they are kids but she should know better

EllaEm87

VIP Member
Yeah originality is important but they're not going to hold it against you if someone has a similar topic to you. I wonder what she will write her dissertation on? We had to submit our titles/topics in second year.
Victorians or the Holocaust. Gotta be.

newtoyou

VIP Member
Sorry to be that annoying person but I go in and out of following Ruby. What's this book thing? I assumed she's writing a book but why's it not accessible to everyone?
She wrote that book a few years ago, it’s just the person doing the reviews here took the bullet for all of us and bought it so we don’t have to :)

I’m quite new and I think I know the answer to this but: has Ruby made any comments about JK Rowling’s transphobia?
Apparently it was discussed in the book club zoom call. I left the call before they started discussing it though

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
Also, that white mark on her nail is a sign of a deficiency, although I can't recall which vitamin/mineral.
I believe it's vitamin D? Or anemia. I suffer from both deficiencies and I have those white spots on my nails even tho I take supplements

When I was at uni, a trick of the really rich kids was to take out a full private student loan, their parents would invest the money, and at the end of the course, it would be immediately paid back in full and they'd pocket the profit.
Is that even allowed? I've never even heard of private student loans? Sounds morally questionable either way

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
It shows a worrying lack of empathy if you think this sort of behaviour is acceptable. Somebody being rich does not negate the mental impact consistent abuse can do. You criticise Ruby for minor things and then endorse genuine rape and death threats? Disturbing and hypocritical.
I'm not endorsing anything, I'm saying that I don't think JKR is a person who needs my sympathy or anybody else's and it's not what I'm here to discuss honestly since this thread is not about her.

for fear of being called transphobic
Or maybe they just don't agree with her?

To be totally clear, I've never said that I think she lies about her grades! But I do think she is possibly selective about them, and might not talk about her lower scoring essays. Now she's doing English I doubt she'd want to admit to 'failure' (she has a very weird view of failure, ie less than a first...)
She's done end of year videos where she goes through all her grades though, and talked about her disappointment in certain grades.

SBJ

I mean that's way more places than I've been 😂 idk must be nice to have the ability to go on all those holidays

I'm 5 years older than her and I've been to 2 countries lol that's very well travelled. Idk if that's what the comment is implying necessarily but I find it really classist when people judge you for not being well travelled
Not what I meant at all, I love travel but I know not everyone has the money to and we all have different priorities with our money. It was more of a comment of how with all the money and resources she and her family seem to have it seems quite telling that they don't appear to have gone anywhere except the most western influenced countries especially since she seems to idolise the Bucket List Family who travel all over the world. If I had all the money they seem to have I feel like I would have gone more places. I really think it would do Ruby some good to go somewhere in Asia or Africa which is a bit more out of her comfort zone.

missmina

VIP Member
There was a recent video where someone in one of her seminars discussed the same points as she’d written about in one of her essay plans(?) and it very clearly rattled her, to the point where I think she ended up asking for a meeting with her tutor to explain that she’d had that idea already and had planned work around it.
Oh no this is too embarrassing to read. Cringing so hard rn 😫

newtoyou

VIP Member
Tbf I think Ruby knows how to sell herself and is obv v enthusiastic about whatever she’s studying so I’m not surprised that she’d do well in an interview.

@joonielovers Just to echo what others have said, the delay could be that they need to check your references. So they might be checking the bits turnitin flagged and then also doing a general check of others that you’ve used to see if there’s a pattern. If they do find something you need to work on, they will probably have a meeting with you to show you where you’ve gone wrong. Let us know how you get on :)

n8459

Chatty Member
It took me so long to read this book, it's a bit of a slow starter but once I got over the fact the characters are all meant to be pretentious and unlikeable I enjoyed it a lot more, it's a good book but not as amazing as everyone says honestly if it wasn't seen as this dark academia bible I don't think it would be getting the hype it currently has. It's a bit odd people are modelling themselves on the characters though, I thought they were meant to show that money and power corrupts.
I'm surprised Ruby has read it though its quite graphic not something I'd have thought was her cup of tea. Does anybody know what she rated it?
This makes a lot of sense - I’m definitely going to try to get through it, I like Donna Tart’s writing but this one is just taking a while

I wasn’t sure if they were being deliberately written as irritating and pretentious- good to know that’s the case!

Ruby has it listed as “want to read” on GoodReads, I can never bear to watch her book videos so I’m not sure if she’s mentioned it in one

buflesse

Chatty Member
I started reading The Secret History last night and although I'm only around 100 pages in it's so obvious how much of herself Ruby bases on this book, I can see why she loves it so much

Side note - I'm having a hard time not getting annoyed at the characters and how pretentious and irritable they can be. Is it worth keeping going? I've heard so many good things about this book I almost feel as if I should like it, and I'm not sure if I'm just having trouble getting into this book at first
The characters are all awful in some way, but they are also really compelling. It's a slow burner - definitely worth persevering.

EllaEm87

VIP Member
I believe it's vitamin D? Or anemia. I suffer from both deficiencies and I have those white spots on my nails even tho I take supplements
Vitamin D or calcium. Both of which she will lack with her restrictive diet.

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
Is it the norm in uk to keep photos in the bathroom?

I think Ruby need to shoot from better angles. Most of her photos are taken from a higher angle and that isn’t doing her any favours. I noticed her hair have gotten pretty long but it’s hard to notice when she looks like a hydrocephalus
It’s not normal, most people don’t big bathrooms and don’t have the space on surfaces to put unnecessary items like pictures