Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
hi guys,
this has nothing to do with ruby, but its to do with uni and a lot of you here seem to know about the marking scheme etc. (for the record I go to a university in the UK). if i could have some advice on this it would be great.

so i submitted an essay for an assignment and it said my Turnitin percentage is 43% , I still havent had my grade back but a few others on my course have. i'm just really stressed because when i clicked on it it said some stuff were from a paper submitted to the university before.
my only issue is that it's a paper where we had to cite a lot of texts etc so i dont know if its just because a lot of people wrote on the same issue.

my friend mentioned plagiarism and im just wondering what this means? and is there a reason why my lecturer still has not given me back my feedback or is it because of the Turnitin percentage?

Sorry for asking here but I do not know anyone who knows stuff about this and i thought maybe one of you here would know about this.
thank u!!
like what other people said it's probably the longer quotes and it's probably registering that other people from the university have used those quotes before! it also probably wouldn't hurt to email your prof and say your score was high and you're not sure why, just as a heads up

Reactions: 2

Lola123

VIP Member
Ruby finds it ‘mortifying’ that a suitcase had to be opened in the airport omg that is actually cringe. I’ve got ADHD, several members of my family also have it and when we fly or do literally anything, we’re an absolute mess lol. It’s not mortifying or even deep, she needs to get over herself hahaha
Legit, she needs to get a grip, just because you travel one way, doesn’t mean everyone else can. Like it’s just the way people function. Not everyone can be super organised or can afford to just pay for extra bags

bella.caf

Yes agreed! I absolutely have my issues with Jack Edwards (similar levels of unaware privilege), but when it comes to books I’m entirely unsurprised he got a first in English - and from Durham, one of the best English courses in the UK. He reads a far more diverse set of literature, and talks about what he’s read in a far more interesting and analytical way. I also feel like he isn’t aiming for the same audience as Ruby - his videos feel like they’re targeted at people around his age/uni students at least, so when he discusses books he isn’t hamstrung into needing to simplify for 13 year olds, which I think Ruby is.
I agree.
Also, interested in your opinion of Jack. I’ve gotta be honest I don’t find him particularly problematic but maybe that’s just because I’m judging him on a scale of Ruby/Jade. 😂

CalatheaLater

Chatty Member
Yeah at the end of one of uni vlogs, she and her friends are hanging out and making crass af comments about Ruby and how they'd take her virginity but be gentle with her etc. It was gross. If my sibling's friends passed comments like that about me on camera and my sibling merrily put that on the internet for all to see, they'd all be enjoying a newly ripped set of arseholes.
Okay I take back what I said up thread about liking Martha, that's fucked up

I’m so glad when I was a cringey, edgy teenager smartphones weren’t a thing, and the proof of my embarrassing years are hidden in my hard drive for only my eyes 🤣
Tell me about it! the most cringe thing was myspace which I had the sense of mind to delete

• Haha

dramallama92

For anyone who saw my previous post about Ruby's pictures on her wall, please don't take this as me accusing her of having bad intentions or interests. I really don't think that Ruby is someone who would cause harm, but I had just been wondering if anyone else is also put off by how far she has taken this character of herself. I used to enjoy Ruby's content, but I think that after a while I began to see that she really is stuck in this persona and it seems that she has actually regressed to a point where she is no longer relatable and actually becomes concerning. I really thought that as she got older she'd be more open to embracing more social issues and being more in touch with her audience, but after the holocaust ad post and her recent dress-up videos and room tours, it just seems that she's attempting to mask her privilege with her image of a naive girl who doesn't know any better. I think this is the case for a lot of YouTubers. For example, Jade masks her own privilege through a very skewed image of spirituality (the whole casual magic thing).
I totally agree with you and can see it wasn't trying to say Ruby is a sinister person or anything. I agree it's honestly just super weird and not the most appropriate thing to be doing as a 20 year old

I think this may be another factor putting Ruby off having a relationship, she'd have to alter some of her behaviours - can you imagine her inviting a guy around and him seeing photos of random kids on her wall / on her desk? If I had stuff like that in my room my boyfriend would 100% be weirded out

buflesse

Chatty Member
Yeah that’s not really true any more - it’s somewhere between 30-40%, some of which is obviously dependent on what college you’re at. That’s pretty similar to most other top unis in the UK, and actually higher than some. You also don’t have to be exceptionally intelligent to get firsts there, so much as you have to be hard working and efficient (admittedly not Ruby’s strong suit...). I think she would have struggled with the volume of work massively - having to write an essay every week, for it to be picked apart by your tutor, would have utterly destroyed her confidence - though maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad thing, given she’s currently unbearably arrogant. Plus you can’t spend your time writing and rewriting notes, and making 10 different to do lists, because there’s so much compulsory work every week. No way she could have coped with that.
I stand corrected - under 30% of students got firsts when I graduated from there, so it definitely seems to have increased year on year.....it's still tough to get a first there, Oxford takes some of the top students in the country and over half don't get a first. I agree definitely would've found the whole thing hard.

GreenFlamingo

VIP Member
I can see Ruby being quite judgemental of others (though more so in her own head than saying it out loud), but I wouldn't say she'd be the nastiest person in a room or a bully. Bullying involves social power and she's too weird for that lol.

I could be wrong though ofc. She once said that she used to be a wild/rebellious child, does anyone remember that? I wonder what that was like.
I wonder what happened to make her go from a rebellious child to an ultra rule follower...

GoinDowntown

I didn’t know what to expect as I initially studied law and came back to nursing! Two completely different fields. I’m now in the 70s/ 80s and in second year so settled in by taking feedback and working hard :) not Ruby hard though, by any stretch...
Clearly whatever you're doing is working out well for you, so Ruby's way isn't the only (or best) way!
I would love to study nursing. Are you enjoying it?

CalatheaLater

Chatty Member
From your comment it sounded like it was your personal opinion, I’m glad it’s not though. Unfortunately a lot of people do have this ignorant view of Spain.
I’m not sure Ruby’s family do think Spains chavvy, though as they went on holiday to Madrid and I’m sure she mentioned going to Barcelona as well
So I know Martha is so annoying but that video was actually pretty fun to watch. Also it's funny how different the mum is in Martha's videos compared to Ruby's

• Haha

CatCafe234

VIP Member
A bit random but I wonder why her English degree at Exeter is listed from 2019-2023 on LinkedIn? Did she switch to a 4 year course with a year abroad/placement? Can’t imagine her leaving England for more than a week
She did one year of a Theology and Philosophy degree, and then switched to English Lit, starting in the first year.

EllaEm87

VIP Member
If this is the instance I'm thinking of, they had discussed the same scene in a play that she was planning to write her essay about and didn't think she could now write an essay on the same topic that they had just discussed in the seminar.
Why not?! Unless they were told they couldn’t I suppose...

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
I don't personally think Spain is chavvy, I'm just repeating the stereotype from snobby upper middle class families like Ruby's. Spain is definitely not 'exclusive' enough for them
From your comment it sounded like it was your personal opinion, I’m glad it’s not though. Unfortunately a lot of people do have this ignorant view of Spain.
I’m not sure Ruby’s family do think Spains chavvy, though as they went on holiday to Madrid and I’m sure she mentioned going to Barcelona as well

She mentioned once that she at least gets the maintenance loan (no words about the tuition fee loan), but she doesn't qualify for the income-assessed portion of it as your parents earn over the maximum threshold to qualify for it.
That's still like 4 grand a year though?! I hope she doesn't actually take it out..

carmex03

”As luck would have it” is an idiom that actually means the opposite of lucky. ”I was going to wash my hair today... as luck would have it, we had no hot water.”
Apparently (according to the interwebs) it can mean either fortunately or unfortunately? Who knows what Ruby meant though.