Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What's a shibboleth?
Edit: Wikipedia says it's like a tongue twister used to determine if someone is a foreigner or not. But is that what it means in this context? Does she mean it's like a peculiar British thing to eat porridge with water? I'm confused
It's kinda like inside knowledge for a certain group like a custom, principle, or a word in a language etc.. It comes from the Bible where one group of Israelites used a certain word that was pronounced differently by another group of Israelites to distinguish who belonged to what group. They used this to then kill anyone who wasn't from their group. They have been used over the years mostly in this way - to distinguish and discover outsiders or to figure out who you could talk to openly for minority groups e.g. gay men when homosexuality was illegal. A common one for English was used in WW2 in the Pacific where Australian and American troops would shout words that contained the 'l' sound out into the forest and if the person shouting back didn't pronounce the 'l' sound properly, they would let fire as native Japanese speakers have difficulty pronouncing the 'l' sound used in English.
Shibboleth doesn't really work in the way Ruby has used it, as how is eating porridge with water a trait specific to a group and why would people use this to distinguish themselves? I get that it might be used to describe an old fashioned idea but that's definitely not the meaning most people would understand hence why it reads oddly.

Edited to clarify: the word that was used in the bible was shibboleth which I think was the name of a certain plant (?) that's why it's called that. Idk what the pronunciation difference was though, I think it had something to do with the 'sh' sound. It does remind you of how actually violent many Bible stories are :confused:.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
It's kinda like inside knowledge for a certain group like a custom, principle, or a word in a language etc.. It comes from the Bible where one group of Israelites used a certain word that was pronounced differently by another group of Israelites to distinguish who belonged to what group. They used this to then kill anyone who wasn't from their group. They have been used over the years mostly in this way - to distinguish and discover outsiders or to figure out who you could talk to openly for minority groups e.g. gay men when homosexuality was illegal. A common one for English was used in WW2 in the Pacific where Australian and American troops would shout words that contained the 'l' sound out into the forest and if the person shouting back didn't pronounce the 'l' sound properly, they would let fire as native Japanese speakers have difficulty pronouncing the 'l' sound used in English.
Shibboleth doesn't really work in the way Ruby has used it, as how is eating porridge with water a trait specific to a group and why would people use this to distinguish themselves? I get that it might be used to describe an old fashioned idea but that's definitely not the meaning most people would understand hence why it reads oddly.
Ruby should do a Mrs Malaprop lookbook next

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I've been binging Ruby today, she came up on my recommended. I just noticed this is her 5th thread and thought it couldn't be about the same person. Just briefly went through the 5 threads and it's really opened my eyes. Quite a few times people have mentioned that she's forgotten or denies her privilege. Is anyone able to expland? I've also watched Marfa's video where she turns her mum into 'Eclair' which I did actually enjoy and can't believe the contrast between the two siblings.

Reactions: 10
Wtf, Ruby has blocked me from viewing her stories? On an account I have literally never interacted with her on, other than viewing her stories

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
She won't even include her former school on her LinkedIn profile for privacy and she leaves comments like these up?
She bloody blocks me off the story for no reason whatsoever, but allows this predator on her profile, wtf! this aint fair man hahahahahaa

• Haha
Reactions: 20
For someone who income comes from social media, Ruby is incredibly lax when monitoring her own accounts. I've noticed weird comments on her Instagram before (covid is a conspiracy type stuff etc.) that really should be deleted, and her response to that commenter who was receiving some horrible replies was shameful. She rarely interacts with people in her YouTube comments and is still pretty much absent from her book club. It's just a lil odd to me - she seems completely detached.

Wtf, Ruby has blocked me from viewing her stories? On an account I have literally never interacted with her on, other than viewing her stories
This is so bizarre!

Reactions: 17
She won't even include her former school on her LinkedIn profile for privacy and she leaves comments like these up?
She had her school name on there for aaaaaaages next to a prize she’d been given, underneath the section where she’d put that she wasn’t stating her school name for privacy reasons. Thankfully she’s edited that now.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
For someone who income comes from social media, Ruby is incredibly lax when monitoring her own accounts. I've noticed weird comments on her Instagram before (covid is a conspiracy type stuff etc.) that really should be deleted, and her response to that commenter who was receiving some horrible replies was shameful. She rarely interacts with people in her YouTube comments and is still pretty much absent from her book club. It's just a lil odd to me - she seems completely detached.

This is so bizarre!
Yes I also noticed some pretty inappropriate comments on her holocaust post, bringing up Israel/Palestine. They should really have been deleted as well. I’m not sure how much she really checks her comments though

Reactions: 11
I'm only just watching Ruby's reading wrap up for January and...well, there's a list:

• she uses "disjunct" as a noun which is so, so jarring to my ears. Things are either disjunct, or there is a disjunction between them, but Ruby says that the book is about "the disjunct" between something
  • she says On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous is a memoir but it's a novel, memoir is used for non-fiction
  • she says the end of Jane Eyre doesn't "sit quite right" and I assume that's because of the marriage at the end. Personally I didn't find the ending incongruous with the rest of the novel at all, and Ruby also suggests maybe Charlotte Bronte ended the novel that way because "she thought it wouldn't get published if she didn't write a moral ending" but Wuthering Heights was published the same year and there is so much explicit immorality and amorality in that novel that it just doesn't really make sense for Ruby to suggest that. For a self-framed Victorian nut Ruby seems to have quite an inflexible idea of what they were like
  • why did she announce halfway through she was going for lunch? Why not just...go and then come back and carry on with the reviews?
  • on a positive note, her friend Blakeney's book looks so cute! The art is beautiful and that children's book is such an accomplishment, especially when compared to Erimentha 💩 AND all of the profits are going to Feeding Britain - take note about how to actually help and donate to charities, Ruby
  • "precent" 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 41
She also didn't moderate comments on her recent post, where everyone piled onto a person who (quite gently imo) criticised her scullery maid video. She clearly read the thread, but didn't address anything or call out her followers behaviour, and instead just DM-ed the person being harassed. I'd think a top comment with 80+ likes would warrant some civil discussion???

Reactions: 7
she uses "disjunct" as a noun which is so, so jarring to my ears. Things are either disjunct, or there is a disjunction between them, but Ruby says that the book is about "the disjunct" between something
to be fair i've heard disjunct used in this way, i don't think it's strictly correct but i've definitely heard it used, possibly even by lecturers

I'm only just watching Ruby's reading wrap up for January and...well, there's a list:

• she uses "disjunct" as a noun which is so, so jarring to my ears. Things are either disjunct, or there is a disjunction between them, but Ruby says that the book is about "the disjunct" between something
  • she says On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous is a memoir but it's a novel, memoir is used for non-fiction
  • she says the end of Jane Eyre doesn't "sit quite right" and I assume that's because of the marriage at the end. Personally I didn't find the ending incongruous with the rest of the novel at all, and Ruby also suggests maybe Charlotte Bronte ended the novel that way because "she thought it wouldn't get published if she didn't write a moral ending" but Wuthering Heights was published the same year and there is so much explicit immorality and amorality in that novel that it just doesn't really make sense for Ruby to suggest that. For a self-framed Victorian nut Ruby seems to have quite an inflexible idea of what they were like
  • why did she announce halfway through she was going for lunch? Why not just...go and then come back and carry on with the reviews?
  • on a positive note, her friend Blakeney's book looks so cute! The art is beautiful and that children's book is such an accomplishment, especially when compared to Erimentha 💩 AND all of the profits are going to Feeding Britain - take note about how to actually help and donate to charities, Ruby
  • "precent" 🙄
Ruby must love the ending of the Little Women movie, where (unlike in the novel) Jo has to change the ending of her book in order for it to be published. It's also strongly implied that Jo getting together with Bhaer at the end of the story was for the same reason.

Reactions: 4
It's so frustrating that she seems to have such a basic understanding of Jane Eyre. The whole point is that Jane's reunion with Rochester IS a radical act, because she now has financial independence and self respect and has found a family (the Rivers). He has been 'punished' for his crimes by being blinded and essentially losing everything. Now they can unite as equals. Obviously the novel can be seen as problematic in light of modern theories of postcolonialism etc, but it's not as if Jane Eyre is meant to be a 'girl power' 21st century feminist Cinderella story. The ending very clearly fits with the novel as a whole.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
i feel like ruby might be faking her cleverness the same way hilaria baldwin faked her spanishness 🥸🥸🥸

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Does anyone else think she goes on about bullying A LOT for someone who I could definitely imagine being the nastiest person in a room? Like in everything she's ever written the main character, who is essentially her, is nasty to anyone with an IQ lower than Einstein's, ridicules people who are aware of their physical appearance, and shows off their privilege whilst claiming to be so oppressed. Ruby IRL does all those things and more and still claims to be the victim of bullying. I really think there's a chance she wasn't bullied at school but rather got treated poorly by her peers after she'd criticised them and ridiculed them for not being as Incredibly Smart And Clever And Perfect as Her Royal Rubyness. She definitely seems the type who could be bullied but only after bullying someone ya know? I think maybe her parents think so highly of her that if she was a bully they wouldn't have taken it seriously and would've helped make her the victim instead?

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Does anyone else think she goes on about bullying A LOT for someone who I could definitely imagine being the nastiest person in a room? Like in everything she's ever written the main character, who is essentially her, is nasty to anyone with an IQ lower than Einstein's, ridicules people who are aware of their physical appearance, and shows off their privilege whilst claiming to be so oppressed. Ruby IRL does all those things and more and still claims to be the victim of bullying. I really think there's a chance she wasn't bullied at school but rather got treated poorly by her peers after she'd criticised them and ridiculed them for not being as Incredibly Smart And Clever And Perfect as Her Royal Rubyness. She definitely seems the type who could be bullied but only after bullying someone ya know? I think maybe her parents think so highly of her that if she was a bully they wouldn't have taken it seriously and would've helped make her the victim instead?
I can see Ruby being quite judgemental of others (though more so in her own head than saying it out loud), but I wouldn't say she'd be the nastiest person in a room or a bully. Bullying involves social power and she's too weird for that lol.

I could be wrong though ofc. She once said that she used to be a wild/rebellious child, does anyone remember that? I wonder what that was like.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.