Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thing is those are some pieces that could look quite nice if they fit her properly and she styled them right, but together they do not work

Reactions: 12
Thing is those are some pieces that could look quite nice if they fit her properly and she styled them right, but together they do not work
Altogether this looks like something my mom would have put me in when I was 5.

I feel like the outfit needs some contrast, the beige shirt is too big for her but might work with some darker pants. Maybe tucked into high-waisted jeans? Paired with that pinafore it looks so plain.

Reactions: 9
Hi, new to the thread! Last year I noticed Ruby finally maturing, like going to therapy and dressing like an adult. However, since she has gone home all I see is childish outfits and she also carries herself more like a child than she did a year back. In a youtube comment thread me (an ex anorexic of nine years) and some others discussed Ruby's noticeable eating disorder/ eating problems. I think it has gotten worse, which is why her posture is childlike. Am I also the only one that thinks Ruby is possibly subconsciously stuggling with her gender? She seems to really be over compensating with femininity.

• Sad
Reactions: 21
This outfit makes her look about 12 😭
Your regularly scheduled reminder that this is a 20 year old woman (who would be in her final year of university ready to step out into the adult world, if she hadnt changed courses)

Reactions: 14
Your regularly scheduled reminder that this is a 20 year old woman (who would be in her final year of university ready to step out into the adult world, if she hadnt changed courses)
She's literally my age and I often catch myself thinking I am watching a fourteen/fifteen year old who hasn't quite matured yet.

Reactions: 14
I normally keep my business out of what people wear , whatever you like and you’re comfortable in, doesn’t bother me

but, christ, that is near enough the exact same outfit my two year old is wearing

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Hi, new to the thread! Last year I noticed Ruby finally maturing, like going to therapy and dressing like an adult. However, since she has gone home all I see is childish outfits and she also carries herself more like a child than she did a year back. In a youtube comment thread me (an ex anorexic of nine years) and some others discussed Ruby's noticeable eating disorder/ eating problems. I think it has gotten worse, which is why her posture is childlike. Am I also the only one that thinks Ruby is possibly subconsciously stuggling with her gender? She seems to really be over compensating with femininity.
I don't think it's a gender identity issue as much as it is a general identity issue tbf. She seems like someone who's never really been able to figure out who she is, and she's at an age where most of us are finding that stuff out. Clearly her parents encourage her to be a little childish, and she has some unresolved food &/or body image issues that influence the way she presents herself. I really hope she gets the help she needs and starts to become more independent and confident!

Reactions: 17
Like in this post from August 2020. Definitely not my style, but at least it is something that I would see some of my friends (17-21) wear. Unlike the toddler outfits we've seen the last couple of months...
Screenshot_20210209-165705_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: 40
Like in this post from August 2020. Definitely not my style, but at least it is something that I would see some of my friends (17-21) wear. Unlike the toddler outfits we've seen the last couple of months... View attachment 427211
What is she promoting tho? Cause if the ad refers to the gifted clothes then no wonder she decided to change💸

Reactions: 1
What is she promoting tho? Cause if the ad refers to the gifted clothes then no wonder she decided to change💸
Seems to be an Exeter add, so maybe they did ask her to atee least choose pictures that make her look like an adult 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I just looked it up and the ad was for the University of Exeter!

Also, with her clothing style I feel like she has a need to dress modest (which is absolutely fine, I’m Ruby’s age and most of my clothes would be considered modest) but I can see her looking down on anyone wearing a low cut top or a short skirt. I think part of her wants to be praised for not dressing like other people her age.

Edit: I looked at the ad before that for Exeter and she’s wearing a pink denim jacket (will try and link the photo) which could add to to what @Stormweald said about them asking her to dress more ‘modern’.

Attachments

Reactions: 10
I don't think it's a gender identity issue as much as it is a general identity issue tbf. She seems like someone who's never really been able to figure out who she is, and she's at an age where most of us are finding that stuff out. Clearly her parents encourage her to be a little childish, and she has some unresolved food &/or body image issues that influence the way she presents herself. I really hope she gets the help she needs and starts to become more independent and confident!
This. I really don’t think we need to stretch to conspiracy theories or assign issues that aren’t there. I think it’s just a general identity and body image issue.

That said it always makes me uncomfortable when people speculate on gender issues and EDs on these forums. It’s like some people are obsessed that everyone must have some kind of ED or deep routed issue speculating based off highly edited snippets of people’s lives. Sometimes I gotta roll my eyes and think is it really any of our business if they are? Does it make their content and taking money for questionable ads any less problematic?

Reactions: 19
I also try not to judge people for what they wear, as long as they’re comfortable it shouldn’t matter. With Ruby though, it’s like she intentionally chooses mismatched clothes that make her look as young as possible. Also, if you have holes in clothes, they should be thrown away not kept because you’re obsessed with some ‘aesthetic’ or just too lazy to replace it. I wish she was at Exeter, I think when she’s around people her age she holds back a lot of her childish behaviours and ways of dressing than when she's at her family home. She is definitely struggling with her identity and I'm sure that's part of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I also try not to judge people for what they wear, as long as they’re comfortable it shouldn’t matter. With Ruby though, it’s like she intentionally chooses mismatched clothes that make her look as young as possible. Also, if you have holes in clothes, they should be thrown away not kept because you’re obsessed with some ‘aesthetic’ or just too lazy to replace it. I wish she was at Exeter, I think when she’s around people her age she holds back a lot of her childish behaviours and ways of dressing than when she's at her family home. She is definitely struggling with her identity and I'm sure that's part of it.
I mean, you can sew up holes in clothing if you're trying to be sustainable and/or can't afford to buy new stuff all the time; clothing really isn't made to last these days, especially the stuff you get in cheaper stores. I agree that it would be a lot better for her to be at Exeter though. Seems like she feels a lot of pressure at home to be childish and doesn't have many outlets aside from social media and books :(

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Erimentha arrives for PE before her peers as she now wishes to demonstrate her physical superiority. She hears her classmates talk about 'meaningless' things such as TV shows and weekend plans.

They start playing tennis and her serve is perfect, because of course it is.

There's a bit of back and forth between her and the others.

Suddenly, everything goes white

-------

No, she's not dead, it would be God meeting her at the gate anyway, not some amateur like St. Peter.

She's concussed and the school nurse is there.

Kimberly hit her with the tennis ball. Her mum is on her way to take her to hospital.

--------

She's in A&E and having a wonderful time observing the sick people around her. She guesses a man has a broken arm by looking at his ulna bone and notes how much pain he is in. You stay away from him, Erimentha Shipman!

Her mum bought some things to the hospital - not packed by her, because in this novel, she is mentally regressing at an alarming rate, she wouldn't be able to pick the right stuff - Erimentha had already procured an Emergency Hospital Supplies Kit. This is not a joke.

The doctor marvels at Erminetha, telling her she's the most medically-informed child she has ever met, because that's what most NHS doctors have time to do. Ruby needs to read House of God and understand the meaning of the word GOMER

Erimentha passes the broken-arm man on the way out, offering her condolences and hoping he recovers quickly and painlessly. Never, ever, let this girl near you with a syringe.
So much for wishing him a painless recovery, the man had to spend his A&E time with this brat banging on about anatomy next to him. Willing to bet he was wishing for a swift death instead.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.