Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Exactly if they lived on a council estate looking like that people would be calling the mum a woman and every other name under the sun
100%. I grew up in a council home with a single mother who worked 2 jobs. She was forever working her backside off to make us “presentable” and not adhere to any stereotypes. Our home was always spotless, school uniform beautifully ironed, and she was always making sure I spoke “proper English” (which I now recognise as problematic)

She was always super conscious of us looking undeserving, trashy or basically being stereotyped in any way.

Middle class people get away with SO much, it really pisses me off

Edit: I also remembered it was about how we dressed too! She used to always make sure I was dressed smartly when I went out, if I had PE at school she didn’t like me coming home in my tracksuit, and lord help me if my school tie wasn’t done properly 🤣

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
I've never really seen Ruby do much cleaning in videos. The thing is shes obsessed with 'productivity' but her productivity is almost entirely focused on studying? Which is fine, she's a full time student, but wouldn't it be more productive to do other things as well? Like cleaning, maybe learning a language, cooking, learning other skills... Idk. The piano in the kitchen made me wonder if she plays an instrument at all. Practicing with an instrument would fit into her productivity obsession, and it's also fun.

Reactions: 13
Criticizing the way Ruby and her sister dressed as a child seems a bit OTT? A lot of kids are super scruffy - they're young and usually out playing or making mischief or whatever - I'd be more worried if the two of them looked like dolls tbqh
Not critiquing but it makes sense given she still currently admits all her tights have holes in them. Basic skills and manners are taught from a young age. Including basic cleanliness and hygiene.

I think it’s more that ‘middle-class mucky’ thing that people get away with because they’re wealthier - the dirty home, the scruffy kids and dog hair everywhere. If someone from a lower-income background lived like that people would be very critical, but when the scruffy kids are dressed in Boden, the unwashed mugs are Emma Bridgewater, the house is bigger and the dogs are pedigree then it isn’t viewed in the same way. It’s a bit hypocritical especially as a lot of the people living like that would be the first to look down their noses at someone living in the same way on a Council Estate.
Thank you for clarifying this. I think the first poster saw it as an attack on them as children when actually it’s more to do with how their attitudes to cleanliness were probably embedded from a young age.

Reactions: 8
It's ridiculous. Ruby cultivates this put together, classy, academic persona and then her house is filthy. And she doesn't even care enough to at least make it presentable for the camera when she's filming a video.

Reactions: 6
I think it’s more that ‘middle-class mucky’ thing that people get away with because they’re wealthier - the dirty home, the scruffy kids and dog hair everywhere. If someone from a lower-income background lived like that people would be very critical, but when the scruffy kids are dressed in Boden, the unwashed mugs are Emma Bridgewater, the house is bigger and the dogs are pedigree then it isn’t viewed in the same way. It’s a bit hypocritical especially as a lot of the people living like that would be the first to look down their noses at someone living in the same way on a Council Estate.
They wouldn’t just be looked down upon, but the children would probably be referred to social services for neglect. Trust me, this stuff happens in more in deprived areas, but when you’re middle class a lot gets over looked.

• Heart
I bet they usually have a cleaner who now can't come because of Covid and they have no idea how to take care of their house because they've never had to worry about that.

• Sick
Not critiquing but it makes sense given she still currently admits all her tights have holes in them. Basic skills and manners are taught from a young age. Including basic cleanliness and hygiene.

Thank you for clarifying this. I think the first poster saw it as an attack on them as children when actually it’s more to do with how their attitudes to cleanliness were probably embedded from a young age.
I don't think cleanliness has anything to do with the clothes they're wearing, though? Sure, they're not dressed to the nines and their clothes are a bit worn, but again - they were kids then, and you can't keep kids looking spotless 24/7. It just feels so weird to me to criticize the way someone looks/dresses when there are far more pressing issues to discuss. Sure, their house definitely needs a good clean, and Ruby should help with that; plus she should probably put a bit more effort into her presentation in videos, but it seems like a weird nitpick to go after things like this? I wouldn't judge someone for the way they dressed and I think that's actually quite a middle-class concept in general - reminds me of my friends' posh parents thinking everyone who wore a hoodie was a thug??

I just feel like, obviously the dad is still working, but wtf does the mum do all day?? She’s clearly not working due to covid so why doesn’t she get on and clean some of this tit up
turning herself into an e girl, duh

• Haha
Reactions: 14
They wouldn’t just be looked down upon, but the children would probably be referred to social services for neglect. Trust me, this stuff happens in more in deprived areas, but when you’re middle class a lot gets over looked.
Idk man, the middle-class people I know are the most judgemental about personal appearance? Plus, if someone I know makes a huge fuss about someone wearing trackies/pjs/scruffy clothes I just get the impression they're a bit of a snob 😬

Reactions: 4
The sister isn’t there, she’s at uni, but yeah it goes without saying that Ruby should also be helping
I read Ruby’s mum’s blog and there was a post in there that mentioned the girls helping round the house and the way it was written seemed to suggest that it was a pretty recent thing. I don’t doubt that Ruby does help but I don’t think it’s something she’s ever done consistently. I noticed in some of her uni videos that Ruby seems to be lacking a bit in those kinds of basic life skills, like keeping stuff clean and even cooking - it always seemed a bit haphazard and messy - and that mop looked a bit alien to her! I’d guess she comes from the kind of background where she’s never really had to do it much, which blows my mind a bit as you’re at such a disadvantage in life if you can’t look after yourself and present yourself reasonably well.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I think Ruby has potential to do lots of different types of videos that could be interesting. Like she could do more booktube stuff, she could do vegan recipes, if she's really into history she could learn how to do different hairstyles from different eras (her hair is pretty long) and do videos on that. But she just does the same study videos and routines and it gets kind of boring. I know she's a studytuber, but she will eventually fall into that problem many of them have where they graduate and have to rebrand their channel.

Idk man, the middle-class people I know are the most judgemental about personal appearance? Plus, if someone I know makes a huge fuss about someone wearing trackies/pjs/scruffy clothes I just get the impression they're a bit of a snob 😬
There's a difference between informal wear and shabby clothes and appearence tho

I read Ruby’s mum’s blog and there was a post in there that mentioned the girls helping round the house and the way it was written seemed to suggest that it was a pretty recent thing. I don’t doubt that Ruby does help but I don’t think it’s something she’s ever done consistently. I noticed in some of her uni videos that Ruby seems to be lacking a bit in those kinds of basic life skills, like keeping stuff clean and even cooking - it always seemed a bit haphazard and messy - and that mop looked a bit alien to her! I’d guess she comes from the kind of background where she’s never really had to do it much, which blows my mind a bit as you’re at such a disadvantage in life if you can’t look after yourself and present yourself reasonably well.
What’s her mum’s blog please?

There's a difference between informal wear and shabby clothes and appearence tho
Aye, I know, though unfortunately a lot of people seem to equate informal clothing with being lazy or shabby :/ There's even a poster in my town about it?? It's just so classist and could even be considered ableism tbf

It's... interesting 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Aye, I know, though unfortunately a lot of people seem to equate informal clothing with being lazy or shabby :/ There's even a poster in my town about it?? It's just so classist and could even be considered ableism tbf
I think the criticism people have about Ruby and Martha as children - which is linked to the fact that their house seems pretty dirty even tho they have the resources to keep it clean - is that they look unkempt rather than the fact that they are wearing informal clothes. For example if their hair is too long and untidy, or they're wearing mismatched clothes, or their clothes are tattered, stuff like that.

Personally I haven't seen these childhood pictures but considering their house and how Ruby acts (and her nails) I don't think it's far fetched to say that for all the money they have, they seem kind of sloppy when it comes to hygiene and cleanliness, and that attitude probably derives from the way the parents taught Ruby and Martha in childhood.

Last edited:

Her mums writing is hard to read, it's awkward and feels forced. She also writes under a pen name 'Clara Raven' lol

Her mums writing is hard to read, it's awkward and feels forced. She also writes under a pen name 'Clara Raven' lol
I see using fake surnames for your online activities is a family thing lol

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.