Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I couldn't even imagine Martha going to magaluf.

Bless her she tried to act cool and qUiRkY.
Martha just reminds me of every girl I ever met at uni who pretended like they were working class and talks 'common' when in reality their parents paid their rent and they went home to their fucking mini mansion for the Christmas break 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 34

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
They go for a walk, they talk Shakespeare. Erimentha asks Grandmama if she has any friends. Nope, acquaintances, "True friends are a stack of books and a loving family."
I guess friends are on the same level as makeup, pop music and boyfriends

Grandmama? Is it pronounced like the mama in Bridgerton? 😂 Never heard of it but then I‘m just a peasant who calls her grandma Nan
I actually expected Erimentha to address her as My Lady Grandmother

• Haha
Reactions: 33

billybobbobbob

Does anyone else think she goes on about bullying A LOT for someone who I could definitely imagine being the nastiest person in a room? Like in everything she's ever written the main character, who is essentially her, is nasty to anyone with an IQ lower than Einstein's, ridicules people who are aware of their physical appearance, and shows off their privilege whilst claiming to be so oppressed. Ruby IRL does all those things and more and still claims to be the victim of bullying. I really think there's a chance she wasn't bullied at school but rather got treated poorly by her peers after she'd criticised them and ridiculed them for not being as Incredibly Smart And Clever And Perfect as Her Royal Rubyness. She definitely seems the type who could be bullied but only after bullying someone ya know? I think maybe her parents think so highly of her that if she was a bully they wouldn't have taken it seriously and would've helped make her the victim instead?

• Heart

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
I'm not going to minimise someone else cutting your hair, it's a shitty thing to do. At school, the girls won't leave her alone, Mr Aldridge walks in, struggling with PTSD I'm guessing. He forgets his professional boundaries and asks Erimentha how her weekend was.

He asks Erimentha if the other girls are bothering her, Erimentha lies and hands over her extra work she did.

At home, mum didn't book a tennis slot as her cognitive functions are deteriorating by the hour. Erimentha doesn't want to go food shopping

• Haha
  • Heart

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
Spain is chavvy, they'd go to the south of France or somewhere else more exclusive
Looooool wtf, I live in Spain and it’s not ‘chavvy’! Nice classism and generalisation of an entire country. Yes there are some resorts which are the typical brits abroad type places, but it’s a whole country with an incredibly diverse culture, in fact ruby actually did a travel vlog of her family going to Madrid smh.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I don't really want to hear about working class culture from someone who would probably cross the road if she saw someone wearing a tracksuit in public. I don't see how she can make this video and have it be tasteful.

• Haha
Reactions: 32

CatCafe234

VIP Member
I think her parents are wannabe hippies at heart, they just got caught up in having a lot of money. I also think HelloItsRooBee is a put-on personality. The upper middle class can afford such things 😂
I have to say, before I knew her dad worked in finance I’d assumed he‘d got rich in music. He’s got that aging rocker look and the drum kit and piano in the house made me assume a musical background somewhere.

• Haha

Stormweald

I was scrolling through her insta posts because I felt like some of the outfits she was wearing were things she wore when she started youtube. But then I came across this post. "Who else likes brushing thier teeth?" Lmfao
Screenshot_20210210-141100_Instagram.jpg

• Haha

CatCafe234

VIP Member
This was one of my overriding memories of the book, that the sibling seems to just ... disappear later on. I guess even fictional characters can decide that it’s too embarrassing and they don’t want to be involved.

• Haha

sitkx

VIP Member
The cringe is astronomical. That reel of her spinning and pretending to be awestruck...so narcissistic 🤢🤮 imagine her recording and then watching it over and thinking “yes...perfect...” 🥴

• Haha
  • Sick

Griftwood

VIP Member
Sorry this is off topic but I just remembered her saying her parents took her to Glastonbury as kid and it's really thrown me because I just cant imagine her at any music festival
I think her parents are wannabe hippies at heart, they just got caught up in having a lot of money. I also think HelloItsRooBee is a put-on personality. The upper middle class can afford such things 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 31

MGB01

VIP Member
I read the jolly post man to a reception class the other day, adding it to good reads and writing my review as we speak

• Haha

Ilaariaa

VIP Member

Her mums writing is hard to read, it's awkward and feels forced. She also writes under a pen name 'Clara Raven' lol
I see using fake surnames for your online activities is a family thing lol

• Haha

meweme

Sorry, just saw the apron-dress and had major butchers wear associations. But with nothing underneath, like kinky butchers wear? I'm getting too confused by her weirdness.

• Haha

CatCafe234

VIP Member
Criticizing the way Ruby and her sister dressed as a child seems a bit OTT? A lot of kids are super scruffy - they're young and usually out playing or making mischief or whatever - I'd be more worried if the two of them looked like dolls tbqh
I think it’s more that ‘middle-class mucky’ thing that people get away with because they’re wealthier - the dirty home, the scruffy kids and dog hair everywhere. If someone from a lower-income background lived like that people would be very critical, but when the scruffy kids are dressed in Boden, the unwashed mugs are Emma Bridgewater, the house is bigger and the dogs are pedigree then it isn’t viewed in the same way. It’s a bit hypocritical especially as a lot of the people living like that would be the first to look down their noses at someone living in the same way on a Council Estate.

• Heart

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
I really have problems to understand Ruby's texts though I am not too bad in English, because of things like that (or "candle(sticks)" ;) ).
I don't understand every word sometimes, but reading this thread improved my English very much. I learned many new words and spoken language; I must admit that I needed some time to understand abbreviations like idk, imo or lmao. ;) But most stuff I can look up by the "Nachschlagen" function on iOs when you tip on the word longer.

Thanks for this nice side effect and best wishes from Germany!
Mate, don’t you worry. I’m an english native speaker and even I don’t understand half the stuff ruby writes 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart

peanutbuttervibes

i feel like in the first half of her blog, when she was talking to the camera about preparing for her interview, she came across as more mature and likeable (similar to her first year of uni), but then when she went for her walk she put on her hermione granger voice again for some reason.

also, why is she so against naps? throughout the video she kept mentioning how unwell she felt and how she had nothing urgent to do and all i could think of was, TAKE A NAP! then again that may be why i only got a 2:1 at uni, not a first; i used pretty much any excuse to take a nap

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

tsuyu

Chatty Member
Few pages behind on this thread so forgive me if I repeat what anyone else has said

She makes it sound like it was a CHOICE that people became scullery maids 😭 That little disclaimer at the beginning failed to mention these women had little choice on career path because they were so poor, the only means for an income was working for some rich people.
Really enjoyed her sleeping in the smaller spare bedroom and wrapping the blanket around herself fake shivering when getting up - thought she said this wouldn't be a romanticisation?? Seems like a bad roleplay to me so far

emmer_moans

VIP Member
It does seem a bit unfair to offer two internships that can be taken together, how about give one per student so more people have the opportunity? Unless there were multiple spots, or, noone else applied? Why would she need 2 roles?

• Heart