Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t understand how that’s a bad thing? In my degree we were actively encouraged to take ideas from our seminars? Like why’s she so precious about stuff? It makes 0 sense? Like if you can write well in essence for something like English I doesn’t matter what your argument is as long as you get it across well including analysis?. I think Ruby just plays a character on her channel and I think she’s a lot different off camera, personally I think she’s worried about loosing her core viewers and not having brands desperate to send her stuff. In reality if youtube stoped tomorrow she’s still be fine I come wise because of her dad

Reactions: 16
Maybe it was a seminar where you got graded for participation and therefore you had to use a different topic to things discussed in the seminar? Idk I've never had seminars where participation counts towards your grade but some courses do.

Maybe it was a seminar where you got graded for participation and therefore you had to use a different topic to things discussed in the seminar? Idk I've never had seminars where participation counts towards your grade but some courses do.
I don’t think they do at Exeter in English, a presentation would do but not group discussions, it wouldn’t be fair and it’s not something UK unis really are encouraged to do

This could be it. But if that was the case, surely the amount of topics would be broad enough that she could easily choose another with minimal disruption. And she would’ve known the topic due to pre reading for the seminar. She sounds like the sort that is very precious about her “original” ideas but at degree level with 300+ students is there really going to be something no one has thought of before? You can take the most popular topic and if you write it well against the grading criteria you will still score highly!

Reactions: 5
This could be it. But if that was the case, surely the amount of topics would be broad enough that she could easily choose another with minimal disruption. And she would’ve known the topic due to pre reading for the seminar. She sounds like the sort that is very precious about her “original” ideas but at degree level with 300+ students is there really going to be something no one has thought of before? You can take the most popular topic and if you write it well against the grading criteria you will still score highly!
Yeah originality is important but they're not going to hold it against you if someone has a similar topic to you. I wonder what she will write her dissertation on? We had to submit our titles/topics in second year.

Reactions: 2
Yeah originality is important but they're not going to hold it against you if someone has a similar topic to you. I wonder what she will write her dissertation on? We had to submit our titles/topics in second year.
Victorians or the Holocaust. Gotta be.

Children and Childhood in Victorian Literature ...

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Interesting, in my country you choose the topic in your third year and submit the title a few months before the discussion.

Reactions: 1
Interesting, in my country you choose the topic in your third year and submit the title a few months before the discussion.
I think it's just for the purpose of assigning you a supervisor based on your early topic ideas. My actual final title was quite different to the one I submitted in second year

I think it's just for the purpose of assigning you a supervisor based on your early topic ideas. My actual final title was quite different to the one I submitted in second year
That makes sense, we are not assigned a supervisor, we choose one on our own based on our ideas for potential topics and then choose the topic and finalize the structure with them before submitting the title. I'll be graduating in July but I will only be able to officially sign up for that graduation session in March.

To be totally clear, I've never said that I think she lies about her grades! But I do think she is possibly selective about them, and might not talk about her lower scoring essays. Now she's doing English I doubt she'd want to admit to 'failure' (she has a very weird view of failure, ie less than a first...)
Idk tbh - she’s been pretty clean about it in the past when there’s been grades she’s been upset over - like she’s been pretty open about the lower scores she’s got so I don’t even think she’s warping the truth there. I honestly believe she’s doing essays at a pretty high standard.

Gotta say, I think the reason she doesn't critique books on her channel or goodreads is because shes worried about what people will say/think. If she puts those arguments out there, shes inviting people to disagree with her opinion and also question her intelligence. This thread is full of us all commenting on it, but she's protected by the fact that we have never read any of her uni work. And while a lot of us have read snippets of her book, academic writing is different to creative writing. I really don't think Ruby is the kind of person who take criticism well at all (i.e. outright disagreeing with her lecturers marking/comments) so I don't see her risking it.
I agree - i think she doesn’t want to put out any controversial opinions as she has a relatively clean/safe reputation atm

If this is the instance I'm thinking of, they had discussed the same scene in a play that she was planning to write her essay about and didn't think she could now write an essay on the same topic that they had just discussed in the seminar. But I didn't interpret it as if she thought that somebody had "stolen" her idea. I interpreted it as if it was just an unfortunate occurrence for her and she thought she had just been unlucky that that specific scene ended up being the topic of the seminar.
Do you remember which video that was?

There was a recent video where someone in one of her seminars discussed the same points as she’d written about in one of her essay plans(?) and it very clearly rattled her, to the point where I think she ended up asking for a meeting with her tutor to explain that she’d had that idea already and had planned work around it.
Oh no this is too embarrassing to read. Cringing so hard rn 😫

There was a recent video where someone in one of her seminars discussed the same points as she’d written about in one of her essay plans(?) and it very clearly rattled her, to the point where I think she ended up asking for a meeting with her tutor to explain that she’d had that idea already and had planned work around it.
I remember. Was this the same video where she cried over a book she couldn’t get?
What I don’t get is just...why? I can’t imagine asking for a meeting over that when work is marked anonymously in most instances. Imo Ruby would’ve really benefited from a smaller department/uni if she really wanted to emulate the school environment. But girl, seriously? I’m embarrassed for her

Reactions: 6
I remember. Was this the same video where she cried over a book she couldn’t get?
What I don’t get is just...why? I can’t imagine asking for a meeting over that when work is marked anonymously in most instances. Imo Ruby would’ve really benefited from a smaller department/uni if she really wanted to emulate the school environment. But girl, seriously? I’m embarrassed for her
Does anyone remember which video it was in which she cried bc she couldn’t find the book/readings she needed?

I don’t understand how that’s a bad thing? In my degree we were actively encouraged to take ideas from our seminars? Like why’s she so precious about stuff? It makes 0 sense? Like if you can write well in essence for something like English I doesn’t matter what your argument is as long as you get it across well including analysis?. I think Ruby just plays a character on her channel and I think she’s a lot different off camera, personally I think she’s worried about loosing her core viewers and not having brands desperate to send her stuff. In reality if youtube stoped tomorrow she’s still be fine I come wise because of her dad
I did an English degree and sometimes lecturers would tell us in essay feedback not to focus too heavily on stuff that was discussed in lectures/on the lecture slides or notes. They didn't say the same thing about seminars but maybe Ruby's university said a similar thing and she misinterpreted? I know that for top grades in English when I did my degree a few years ago you did have to go the extra mile/show an awareness of the time period/try to say something new about the text so maybe that's it? One guy I know who got 85% in an essay referenced other books he'd read from the time period I guess to show you aren't just using the main text and the secondary sources the lecturers suggest. Totally different assignment but the person who got the highest dissertation mark in my year (90%!!) did it on an obscure three line poem lol. I think lecturers like to read something different and that's when they award the top marks but, as people mentioned above, to get a lower first class grade I think you just need to be able to argue your points well

Reactions: 5
The video in which she cried was the ‘all of the studying I did this weekend (15 hours)’ one from the 30th Nov - just in case anyone wants to watch lol - I get that not being able to find material can be stressful but honestly if it gets to a point where you’re getting upset, just email the teacher/lecturer! They’ll understand!

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.