Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think she simplifies her analysis as she has a lot of international viewers were English isn’t there first language, and a lot of younger viewers too.

I wonder how many of her subscribers are actually at university. I find her star rating very weird and sporadic though.

Reactions: 4
Maybe not naturally, but at university level you don't get top grades by just knowing the material extensively. You literally have use critical and analytical thinking to achieve high marks.

I think the fact that the grading system at uni is less rigid and less about memorising material (compared to a level for example) is something that Ruby struggles with though and why she maybe 'preferred' school. Personally I'm the opposite (I was awful at a levels) but a lot of people find it hard when they get to university because they can't understand the fact that they can know the learning material inside out yet still get a low grade. Idk just some thoughts
She must have improved over the years, but the stuff she said about her Oxford interview kinda gave me the impression that she's not very good at thinking independently and creatively and is very quick to panic as soon as she ventures out of her comfort zone. Her book reviews etc. also corroborate this. And the fact that her reading taste is pretty basic and not very complex.
But you know I haven't read her essays and I'm sure her high grades are well earned. Also I'm not familiar with essay writing because we don't do that in my country at a university level haha so I really can't judge that

Reactions: 11
Still can't comprehend how this girl can talk about reading books for her Holocaust module yet still no peep about the money she took from the Holocaust foundation. I'm never going to let this go, the more I think about it, the more angry it makes me.

In the latest video, she still comes across incredibly smug and pretentious. The worst thing is... I don't think she even means to do it.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
At the risk of sounding cynical, is there actually proof that she is getting 70s and 80s for all her essays? Has she talked about all of them on her videos? (I only started watching her stuff recently so have missed out on a lot😂)

Reactions: 7
At the risk of sounding cynical, is there actually proof that she is getting 70s and 80s for all her essays? Has she talked about all of them on her videos? (I only started watching her stuff recently so have missed out on a lot😂)
I really hope she's not so dishonest to actually lie to her viewers about her grades. Like that would be actually insane

I doubt she'd lie outright, but I wonder if she's selective about the grades she shares. (Also she does have a record of being somewhat economical with the truth - her shady response to the holocaust ad money about building a statue in a state school, putting enormous books as 'read' on goodreads that she got from the library and maybe flicked through/only read a chapter of...)

Reactions: 23
I think her lying about her grades is fairly unlikely given Exeter sponsor her sometimes - it would certainly be a remarkably stupid thing to do! I agree that it's most likely she simplifies a lot in her videos given she knows her main demographic, and given she certainly gravitates towards kids books to read in her free time it may be that she just doesn't like to constantly be thinking about things in a hugely analytical way, and prefers a simpler approach, rather than because she's not capable of it. Exeter is a good uni, to be getting those grades I don't think there can be any serious doubt that she isn't good at essay writing.

Reactions: 9
I don't think she'd lie about her grades. She doesn't seem like the type and it would be a dumb thing to lie about so openly. She's mentioned her grades in loads of videos. And she uploaded that infamous video of her crying over a 58 or whatever

To be totally clear, I've never said that I think she lies about her grades! But I do think she is possibly selective about them, and might not talk about her lower scoring essays. Now she's doing English I doubt she'd want to admit to 'failure' (she has a very weird view of failure, ie less than a first...)

Reactions: 25
Gotta say, I think the reason she doesn't critique books on her channel or goodreads is because shes worried about what people will say/think. If she puts those arguments out there, shes inviting people to disagree with her opinion and also question her intelligence. This thread is full of us all commenting on it, but she's protected by the fact that we have never read any of her uni work. And while a lot of us have read snippets of her book, academic writing is different to creative writing. I really don't think Ruby is the kind of person who take criticism well at all (i.e. outright disagreeing with her lecturers marking/comments) so I don't see her risking it.

Reactions: 21
To be totally clear, I've never said that I think she lies about her grades! But I do think she is possibly selective about them, and might not talk about her lower scoring essays. Now she's doing English I doubt she'd want to admit to 'failure' (she has a very weird view of failure, ie less than a first...)
She's done end of year videos where she goes through all her grades though, and talked about her disappointment in certain grades.

Reactions: 2
She also gets very stressed about people using ‘her’ ideas so I can she why she wouldn’t talk about her work in detail.

Reactions: 4
What? When did this happen? Must have missed it.
There was a recent video where someone in one of her seminars discussed the same points as she’d written about in one of her essay plans(?) and it very clearly rattled her, to the point where I think she ended up asking for a meeting with her tutor to explain that she’d had that idea already and had planned work around it.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
A lecturer here, although most marks are anonymous, sometimes we do see the grades for certain things like quizzes with the student names. To then lie about them on a public channel would be insane. I highly doubt Ruby does that. I also think her writing must be really good to get such high grades at Exeter.

There was a recent video where someone in one of her seminars discussed the same points as she’d written about in one of her essay plans(?) and it very clearly rattled her, to the point where I think she ended up asking for a meeting with her tutor to explain that she’d had that idea already and had planned work around it.
If this is the instance I'm thinking of, they had discussed the same scene in a play that she was planning to write her essay about and didn't think she could now write an essay on the same topic that they had just discussed in the seminar. But I didn't interpret it as if she thought that somebody had "stolen" her idea. I interpreted it as if it was just an unfortunate occurrence for her and she thought she had just been unlucky that that specific scene ended up being the topic of the seminar.

Reactions: 3
If this is the instance I'm thinking of, they had discussed the same scene in a play that she was planning to write her essay about and didn't think she could now write an essay on the same topic that they had just discussed in the seminar.
Why not?! Unless they were told they couldn’t I suppose...

Reactions: 2
Why not?! Unless they were told they couldn’t I suppose...
I know nothing about how UK unis operate so I have no idea why she would think that. Tbh I found it pretty odd too, it seemed something that could easily be sorted by emailing the lecturer and explaining the coincidence. She had been planning her essay before that seminar after all.

Reactions: 3
I know nothing about how UK unis operate so I have no idea why she would think that. Tbh I found it pretty odd too, it seemed something that could easily be sorted by emailing the lecturer and explaining the coincidence. She had been planning her essay before that seminar after all.
In seminars (U.K., not English Lit though) if the topic matches the question no one cares if you’ve discussed it in seminars, it’s rare you’d write an essay on something you HAVEN’T previously discussed. That discussion gives you a start to analysis and questioning?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.