Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Masters student too and I never really add academic books to goodreads. Yeah I guess maybe it's different if youre an English student but I don't really count textbooks or journal articles as something I've 'read' because who tf sits there and reads a textbook back to back like a novel, you read the relevant parts and take notes. I don't add short stories or poems either. It makes it way less impressive for her to read 200 books a year if this is what she counts as 'books'.
Personally as an Msci student I add academic books to goodreads when I want to review them. Some books I have praised for their structure and writing, others were filled with errors and felt rushed.
I think leaving thorough reviews on textbooks can be extremely helpful to future students.(Big names on the cover doesn’t necessarily equal textbook quality)

Reactions: 7
I’m actually not going to be overly critical of this video, I genuinely enjoyed it (and made sure to tell her so). She was able to articulate her thoughts about the book club book much better, she wasn’t trying to use all big words like she did before. I hope she does more of these round-ups. She’s still a little too fixated on numbers (and padding them by counting poems and children’s books), but hey ho, that’s just who she is and many of you have already expressed the thoughts I have about that.

Good job, Ruby!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
So I've read 14 books this January if I'm going to count the 10 poems I read.
God, her number obsession is pathetic.

Reactions: 9
So I've read 14 books this January if I'm going to count the 10 poems I read.
God, her number obsession is pathetic.
How long does a Reddit post have to be to make it into the count? I feel like I could reach 50 books if I added those too.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
I sometimes read the back of shampoo bottles when I’m on the toilet, does that count as well?

• Haha
Reactions: 48
I’m actually not going to be overly critical of this video, I genuinely enjoyed it (and made sure to tell her so). She was able to articulate her thoughts about the book club book much better, she wasn’t trying to use all big words like she did before. I hope she does more of these round-ups. She’s still a little too fixated on numbers (and padding them by counting poems and children’s books), but hey ho, that’s just who she is and many of you have already expressed the thoughts I have about that.

Good job, Ruby!
Agreed! Since you seems to use this page as a way of gaining input on your content, well done Ruby!! It wasn't perfect - definitely agree with what everyone is saying about focus on quantity not quality, and including poems/essays/kids books, but it's the best of her videos for a while now. She could still have given some deeper analysis, but I think trying to do 19 books in one video is still quite a lot - maybe more in depth on 4/5 favourites would work better? But she expressed her thoughts in a way that did actually make sense and tell me something about the book, and the whole video had a far more adult feel about it. With more videos of the same sort I'm sure she'll get better at them and figure out exactly what the right format is. I don't really want to criticise it too much because it is progress, and the sort of content I want to see from her in the future.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I just watched her newest video and I'm honestly surprised she's an English student? But perhaps she doesn't want to alienate a section of her audience who don't study English by getting too technical? When I was at university one of my lecturers told me that the people who are most vocal in class/speak about the books the best aren't necessarily the ones who get high grades. I assume Ruby falls into this category?

Reactions: 8
I am trying not to be negative and bitter, but for a grown woman who makes a LOT of money from her content I feel like Ruby really should be doing better videos. She's not an aspiring teen vlogger, she's a businesswoman with a huge global reach. She should have grown up by now!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Btw, what do you think she did with that huge, expensive mustard yellow vintage typewriter Martha gave her for her birthday? It wasn't in her room in the room tour video. I was thinking of vintage record players and randomly thought of that typewriter haha

Btw, what do you think she did with that huge, expensive mustard yellow vintage typewriter Martha gave her for her birthday? It wasn't in her room in the room tour video. I was thinking of vintage record players and randomly thought of that typewriter haha
I swear she never uses the stuff Martha gives her. Like I'd be so offended lol

• Haha
I just watched her newest video and I'm honestly surprised she's an English student? But perhaps she doesn't want to alienate a section of her audience who don't study English by getting too technical? When I was at university one of my lecturers told me that the people who are most vocal in class/speak about the books the best aren't necessarily the ones who get high grades. I assume Ruby falls into this category?
I can see that. To me she seems like that annoying, "know it all" kid that sits at the front of the class, raises their hand and shakes it violently as if the teacher can't see her.

I would love to see her take part in a heated academic debate and just have someone wipe the floor with her.

Reactions: 8
I can see that. To me she seems like that annoying, "know it all" kid that sits at the front of the class, raises their hand and shakes it violently as if the teacher can't see her.

I would love to see her take part in a heated academic debate and just have someone wipe the floor with her.
Honestly don't think it would take much, Ruby seems like a very surface level thinker/researcher.

Reactions: 12
I swear she never uses the stuff Martha gives her. Like I'd be so offended lol
And it's sad because it seems Martha gives her very thoughtful gifts. Like she gave her a lamp because Ruby always studies by candlelight and Martha rightfully thought she needed one, and then Ruby proceeded to give it back because "she already has a lamp". Sister of the year.
Like, having two lamps is an option? Or maybe you could give away the old random lamp you bought at Ikea or whatever instead of the new one your sister bought for you? For all her talks of kindness and gratitude it kinda seems like Ruby doesn't appreciate Martha much.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Honestly don't think it would take much, Ruby seems like a very surface level thinker/researcher.
I agree.
What annoys me about Ruby is that she would never admit it if she doesn't know something/when she was wrong about something. Truly bright and intelligent people know when to sit back and say, "actually I'm not familiar with this area/topic/whatever so I cant add much."

She would never...cause remember she LoVeS AsTROpySicS...among everything else she's an expert in lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I read the jolly post man to a reception class the other day, adding it to good reads and writing my review as we speak

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Her study habits are questionable, but I do think Ruby is obviously very good at her degree. You have to be doing a lot more than surface level research/analysis/writing to be getting 70s and 80s grades consistently. I think she just downplays analysis etc. in her videos, maybe because her audience is younger and wouldn't really understand?

Her study habits are questionable, but I do think Ruby is obviously very good at her degree. You have to be doing a lot more than surface level research/analysis/writing to be getting 70s and 80s grades consistently. I think she just downplays analysis etc. in her videos, maybe because her audience is younger and wouldn't really understand?
Idk I just feel like she's good at what she's studied extensively and obsessively but not really a naturally creative or analytical thinker.

Idk I just feel like she's good at what she's studied extensively and obsessively but not really a naturally creative or analytical thinker.
Maybe not naturally, but at university level you don't get top grades by just knowing the material extensively. You literally have use critical and analytical thinking to achieve high marks.

I think the fact that the grading system at uni is less rigid and less about memorising material (compared to a level for example) is something that Ruby struggles with though and why she maybe 'preferred' school. Personally I'm the opposite (I was awful at a levels) but a lot of people find it hard when they get to university because they can't understand the fact that they can know the learning material inside out yet still get a low grade. Idk just some thoughts

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.