Ruby Granger #45 "Um" -- Ruby Granger, 2023

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
e-vision is the application portal so she is applying! If she is self funding, applications may still be open...
Gosh, she must have money to burn. People often don't clock that, yes you have to pay your living costs, but you also have to pay the university for the privilege of producing research for them. I don't necessarily think she would get on to a funded dPhil, but self funded? Ποσιμπολ.

As a charitable interpretation of Ruby's silence re:grades, she may well have actually altered her mindset on the topic. She might genuinely just be choosing to not share. The decision to change from "Have a productive week" to "Have more than a productive week" was made, after all. Lest we forget the absolute certainty some members had that she could never possibly get onto a masters at Oxford, when she had.

That's very charitable of me, definitely though.

Reactions: 11
New vid! For the sake of her degree, I hope “writing routine” is in reference to her dissertation and not another copycat middle-grade/YA [emphasis on the Y] novel ☠👀😂

edit: I am now 8 seconds in and can confirm that she is indeed prioritising her CREATIVE WROYTING over her diss. Will update as soon as I regain the fortitude to venture forth.

edit 2: ”I’m pretty sure you’re meant to be your most creative when you’re tired“ 😂 yes because let’s just categorically quote a statement you read somewhere when you were googling ”HOW TO BE A WROYTER AS THAT IS MOIY IDENTITEEEE“ fyi Roobeena, people’s brains work in different ways.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
Is she a CHILD?? Even in undergrad you know you don’t prioritise hobbies /part time work over a dissertation if you can help it 😦

Reactions: 16
I’m just baffled that she chose to do a masters when she could just write, it seems like she much prefers it. Or she could even have done a masters in Creative Writing! Strange choices imo.

Reactions: 18
Not sure why Oxford don’t do a creative writing masters tbh. They have amazing alumni

Screenshot_20240516_104546_Chrome.jpg

And Ruby continues to scream from the rooftops that she's the most vegany vegan who ever veganned while choosing to go for the not-at-all-vegan 'Aero Bubbly' donut at Krispy Kreme.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I've just started watching it and she sounds like her age in the first part, then two minutes in, her voice jumps a good octave in her voiceover :rolleyes: That's not quite the schoolgirl aesthetic we're after, is it, Ruby?

I love writing— write most days given the chance— but surely this isn't more important than her dissertation which we know very little about, mind you. I understand hobbies are important in keeping you sane but I wouldn't go ahead and spend an entire hour per day writing when I am so close to finishing something important like my Master's. The authors she is taking inspiration from are full-time writers, not people who have their dissertations hanging over their heads, not like Ruby who's undertaking a degree she's clearly floundering in as she's not flaunting her grades like in Exeter. There is a very valuable place for hobbies (whether writing, gaming, watching movies, painting etc) but it's very clear she's running away from the fact she isn't doing as well as she'd like in Oxford, even more so by the fact she runs home at any chance she'd get. And of course, a Skillshare sponsor 😂 I know content creators need to make a living with sponsors but it's a bit obvious at this point, isn't it? Only uploading a video when there's a sponsor in her inbox.

Side note: I wish she'd just change her style a bit, is it just me? A haircut would do absolute wonders, but alas, that may be a bit too grown up.

Reactions: 11
I actually got excited seeing this vid pop up, thinking she was FINALLY going to tell us a bit more about what she's actually doing in this degree...someone pass me my clown costume

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Hilarious of Ruby to criticise people for calling themselves 'bad' writers as it's "meritocratic" (?? surely this isn't correct vocab to use here). Ruby, they're just being modest for the most part, it's not a grand statement of their writing talents. The real issue is people thinking they're the next Dickens etc when their writing is at the level of a precocious primary school student...

Reactions: 18
Unrelated to the new video, I wouldn't be surprised if Ruby got a distinction, its not too hard at a masters level. If she were to do a DPhil it would mean that she already has a good relationship with her future supervisor, which is possible knowing how much she likes to suck up to her teachers. Applying to a DPhil would also explain the secrecy about her dissertation as she would want to keep her research subject for herself, its all about politics at that level.

Reactions: 14
So ruby writes in the morning when she is most productive [has claimed that for years] but leaves her dissertation writing when she isn't as productive...like what...why has she bothered with a masters if she isn't focused on masters..

Reactions: 15
Even in undergrad you know you don’t prioritise hobbies /part time work over a dissertation if you can help it
Exactly when I did my dissertation for my undergraduate degree I didn't priortise my hobbies over it as I wanted to make sure that I understood the topic I was researching as I wanted to be fully up to date with the literature and show my supervisor that I understood the topic clearly by writing a clear argument of what I had found and what could be improved on if I were to do the same study again. It was exactly the same for my postgraduate degree as again I didn't priortise my hobbies over it as I knew that this dissertation required me to conduct interviews and to analyse my data using thematic analysis in which I had to closely examine the data to identify common themes, topics, ideas and patterns of data that had come up repeatedly during the 7 interviews that I had conducted. Therefore, I honestly have no idea as to why she is priortising her creative writing over her dissertation and it just confirms to me that she doesn't even care about her dissertation.

Reactions: 5
"In the book, Lady Grace meets and caerfs for..."

It'll never stop being hilarious that Ruby keeps performatively yammering and lie-squinting about her STROGGLES WITH PARFACKSHONISM while screwing up everything at every opportunity with zero effort to double-check whatever mess she's making or gibberish she's talking.

Another pointless video in which she hawks a sponsor service she never uses, films a bunch of strangers without consent and sheds no real insight into what she writes, how she writes or why she enjoys it. As usual, since the bulk of her writing process is ripping off other authors, she can't show any of her real process, so she just pads with Googled quotes from successful authors whose work she never reads and brags about her VARRY PRODOCTIVE fictional day that's all smoke and mirrors.

Her finger-wagging her way through a video about much she JANUINELY loves writing and how we should all learn to write for ourselves and not for the goal of success/praise when she's spent the past few years very cynically and calculatedly cannibalising other books to try to shortcut her way to the goal of a big, easy traditional publishing deal... It doesn't exactly make her supposed JANUINE LOFF OF WROYTING seem any more honest, especially considering she yet again refuses to shed any light on why she's so fixated on that big publishing deal she'll never get instead of just self-publishing.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
"In the book, Lady Grace meets and caerfs for..."
I thought you were kidding, then I watched the intro and she really did says 'caerfs'. 😂

I've just started watching it and she sounds like her age in the first part, then two minutes in, her voice jumps a good octave in her voiceover
Ruby sounds a lot more normal when she doesn't change her speaking voice.

Reactions: 6
They do, it's what Emma Watson's currently doing iirc and I'm suprised Ruby hasn't pounced on that. https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/mst-creative-writing
The course requires an interview as part of the application process, which was a big part of what killed her undergrad application and would no doubt tank her chances here.

Interviewer: "Can you tell us why you want to study on this course?"
Ruby: "Umm...syo...(clucks tongue)...umm...yah, syo...ummm...oiy'm Ryoobee...and...ummm...syo...umm...(smacks lips)...umm... and as oiy say...ummm...yah...and umm...WARDSWAARTHH WONCE WRYOTE THAT...ummm...(smacks lips) and umm...weee tand tyeu beee...(waves claw hand around) umm...like...ummm...PONKUPODDUHTIVTI ...ummm...and... JANUINELY...oiy...umm... and so yah. (Grimaces)"

Untitled657687656756 - Copy.png

😂 😂 😂

Her bullshit excuses are always so bad. I'm having flashbacks to "I pronounce words strangely because I must've learned a new accent while on holiday in Devon for a few days".

Literally any excuse to avoid saying, "I spend most of my time online going overboard with a fake accent to imitate Emma Watson's voice and it's really just a complete mess, but when I'm not doing that, I like to pretend I'm TWALVE AGANN by dressing like a schoolgirl and altering the pitch of my voice in videos (but sometimes I forget because I don't really pay attention to what I'm filming or editing!)"

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Doing a DPhil at Oxford would be a good excuse to keep being able to go home every weekend and every break. Surely that's enough of a reason for Roobs.

Reactions: 7
Watching her new video- I understand she wants to make time for something she clearly enjoys doing (i say that loosely) but why do it in the morning? When I did my masters I did all my work in the morning, then whatever I wanted to do I did in the evening. I did a Scriptwriting masters so most of my course centred around writing anyways but I always gave myself a free choice in the evening if I wasn't too tired from working on my masters projects.

I suppose if she's finished her dissertation and she's just streamlining it then it's okay. But if she's still actively writing it why are you spending more time working on not one but two books? Admittedly if I was stuck on any of my masters projects I took myself away from it, but did other things to help the process. If that makes sense.

Reactions: 9
"actively making time for boredom"

she sums me up perfectly when I watch her videos

• Haha
Reactions: 13