Ruby Granger #45 "Um" -- Ruby Granger, 2023

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The birthday extravaganza is kicking off, this year’s theme is “I’m turning three today!”

IMG_2880.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 29
I've just started watching it and she sounds like her age in the first part, then two minutes in, her voice jumps a good octave in her voiceover :rolleyes: That's not quite the schoolgirl aesthetic we're after, is it, Ruby?
Other people have noticed it too lol
1000000863.png

----
On another note, I received my copy of her Oxford Michaelmas Zine a little while ago. It's very cute, though some of the typesetting is a bit difficult to read due to it being handwritten and very small. It seems like she designed it on her iPad but didn't necessarily check how it would look in the A6 format she had it printed in.

The theme seems to be "melancholy", which is slightly worrisome, though tracks with what we supposed about her struggling with her academics.

All in all, for the few quid I spent on it, no regrets. Fits in among the rest of my poetry collection nicely (though it's not so much poetry).

Reactions: 10
"actively making time for boredom"

she sums me up perfectly when I watch her videos
Nominating this as thread title. 😂 It's too accurate.

Ruby Granger #46 Actively making time for boredom

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37

Emma Watson lookalike kid going viral on TikTok and speaking out about the cost of living crisis in the sassiest way.

First Ruby ages another year, now there are young Hermiones popping up everywhere to effortlessly upstage her. She's gonna be crying into her carrot porridge.

• Haha
Reactions: 12

Emma Watson lookalike kid going viral on TikTok and speaking out about the cost of living crisis in the sassiest way.

First Ruby ages another year, now there are young Hermiones popping up everywhere to effortlessly upstage her. She's gonna be crying into her carrot porridge.
"I bet he can hear me!" ahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: 5
The most interesting part of the latest video for me was where Ruby said that she that she was going to look at a 17th Century children's book that the Librarian of Jesus College had found, and that he thought she would be interested in seeing it.

Is this normal with University Librarians? It wasn't for me when I was at Uni (but I wasn't confident in approaching staff) and I'm doing a distance learning Masters now so definitely isn't possible. Just curious as to whether Librarians normally look out for materials for students, or if this is an example of Ruby talking well with staff (as she did with teachers) and it benefiting her research.

Reactions: 1
The most interesting part of the latest video for me was where Ruby said that she that she was going to look at a 17th Century children's book that the Librarian of Jesus College had found, and that he thought she would be interested in seeing it.

Is this normal with University Librarians? It wasn't for me when I was at Uni (but I wasn't confident in approaching staff) and I'm doing a distance learning Masters now so definitely isn't possible. Just curious as to whether Librarians normally look out for materials for students, or if this is an example of Ruby talking well with staff (as she did with teachers) and it benefiting her research.
I think it depends on what research is being done.
Some texts are not kept on site and have to be obtained from offsite storage.
A text from C17 may require supervision. White gloves and book cushion etc

Reactions: 6
Thank you, I imagine it would've been supervised too. It was the phraseology that the librarian had found something she might be interested in that I picked up on. It implied the Librarian knows her area of research and either happened across a book he knew she would be interested in or was actively searching on her behalf.

I have visions of the archivist carefully setting the book up on a cushion and then looking on aghast as Ruby whips out the paint box and washi tape …

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Cant be arsed to go back and quote a relevant post in the thread, but has anyone mentioned that Ruby and Blakeney were sharing a bed on their trip to that hotel? At 18:11, you can see that the sofa bed is clearly unused, while the regular bed has been slept in on both sides.

I don't think they are necessarily together, but I am just a bit surprised none of the sapphic speculators have mentioned it.

Also, very surprised we have seen almost no mention of the Oxford Bird and Blend store? It's a great little shop, I always visit it when I'm in the city for a cup of tea.

Reactions: 10
Cant be arsed to go back and quote a relevant post in the thread, but has anyone mentioned that Ruby and Blakeney were sharing a bed on their trip to that hotel? At 18:11, you can see that the sofa bed is clearly unused, while the regular bed has been slept in on both sides.

I don't think they are necessarily together, but I am just a bit surprised none of the sapphic speculators have mentioned it.

Also, very surprised we have seen almost no mention of the Oxford Bird and Blend store? It's a great little shop, I always visit it when I'm in the city for a cup of tea.
It’s so hard to get twin rooms that my friend and I (both married to men) have shared a bed before and usually ask for an extra duvet so we can have our own side

Reactions: 1
It’s so hard to get twin rooms that my friend and I (both married to men) have shared a bed before and usually ask for an extra duvet so we can have our own side
Oh yeah I mean that's why I'm not reading into it. I only bring it up because they had two double size beds, and chose not to use one of them.

I think the pair are closer than we sometimes give credit for here (saying that Blakeney only shows interest in Ruby for gifted experiences), but imo it's in an odd platonic closeness way rather than perhaps anything sexual. If they do come out as a couple I would not be in the least surprised but I don't think they are.

Reactions: 9
In her stories she also pans to blakeney on their picnic as the lyrics say, ‘the first time that you kissed me’. I wonder if she chose that part of the song on purpose :sneaky:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
So I
Thank you, I imagine it would've been supervised too. It was the phraseology that the librarian had found something she might be interested in that I picked up on. It implied the Librarian knows her area of research and either happened across a book he knew she would be interested in or was actively searching on her behalf.
I don’t know about Oxford in particular and haven’t used this service myself, but at the universities I’ve studied, MA students and up could book a limited number of meetings with librarians to have some kind of consultation about finding sources for larger research projects. It never made sense for me, since everything I worked with was pretty thoroughly digitized, but friends who did more historical subjects did use these consultations. Librarians at academic institutions are amazing at their jobs, and I’d assume libraries at Oxford would invest in that kind of expertise as a resource.

Doesn’t have to be the explanation here, but doesn’t seem impossible either.

Reactions: 9
Personally I don't think Blakeney and Ruby are a couple and that people may wish they were or are reading into things that just don't exist. Lots of people share beds when travelling and it doesn't mean a thing. Married or non-married, I've slept next to other women and that is it. We chat, we fall asleep. Nothing going on. Maybe it saves on money, maybe we are at a home or on retreat and chose to share for convenience sake, or there simply isn't a choice in the matter. Simple as that. I believe Ruby admires Blakeney, is attached to her to some degree, is amazed to have a friend, but I also think Blakeney, while being a kind and patient person, only feels friendship with Ruby and isn't calling out on the top of her lungs that Ruby is her favourite person or her best friend. She may very well not be, and as Blakeney makes friends throughout her life, possibly marries, has inlaws, co-workers, neighbours, etc., she will find better and more mature friends than Ruby. Ruby has a tremendous amount of maturing to do. I don't think sex even passes through her head, let alone casual dating. More than likely she sees it as a fun way to pretend she is a kid having a sleepover, like Anne Shirley and Diana Barry in Anne of Green Gables, who also shared a bed, or how she used to have sleepovers with her cousins a few times a year. She doesn't seem to know who or what she is or will be, so I think a lot of people are imagining things for the sake of creating more curious content.

Reactions: 13
Personally I don't think Blakeney and Ruby are a couple and that people may wish they were or are reading into things that just don't exist. Lots of people share beds when travelling and it doesn't mean a thing. Married or non-married, I've slept next to other women and that is it.
Exactly!! Everyone thinks there's some secret story or meaning, when most the time it's cases like this! Like lets actually focus on the main discussion as now it just feels like speculation about a non existent relationship... a waste of time. Like who cares if she's in a relationship or not. It's not our business or care whatsoever!
Edit for spelling

Reactions: 5